Cutty Sark 1:96 Revell

Hi Guys, I ve started her as it is one of my favourites tall ships. as of today hull and deck.

xAOQDNE.jpg

yL3Xtb7.jpg

SovHA5k.jpg

and a wooden deck, finetuned with acrylic grey crayons, and painting converting to wood with my method I've described before.

IremJS7.jpg

2LlT6t4.jpg

7o5h6Sf.jpg

I ve replaced plastci parts with wooden accesrories

tyo4KsU.jpg

xDdPUhV.jpg

MPRF7Bb.jpg

5JZimA2.jpg

9kjELwI.jpg

aAN6PGZ.jpg

nN0e09R.jpg

and all in place

7o5h6Sf.jpg

Regards and tbc

• Like 20

I think we'll see here something more ellegant than our old, rusty, buckets 😉

Hope for interesting tricks and tips too.

Will watch your build.

Regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1

Hi I will be grateful for photos of bowsprit with all ropes and chains as I have some doubts how to fix them all. The manual is pretty poor on this. I've made an overview at some forums but I've not found now detailed pictures of them. So far ;)

Regards

Magnificent work Angus73...!

Is the gold painted scrollwork and ships' name custom-made decals? Pray tell.

And could you refer us to the place elsewhere where you describe how you simulate wood? Looks marvelous!

THANKS!

Mike E.

Your model is coming on fine Angus.

With regard to rigging, you will do no better than to obtain a set of the George Campbell plans from either the Curry Dark Trust or the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich. I have the set and can vouch that it they are the most accurate plans that are easily available.

Two other reference sources are a couple of out of print books. Cutty Sark by Noel Hackney published by Patrick Stephens back in the 70's that describes how to rig and detail the Airfix Kit in their Classic Ships Series.  Also, Cutty Sark by C. Nepean Longridge published by MAP (Model and Allied Publications) that describes the model being built for the Science Museum, London. HTH.

Edited by Noel Smith

Hi Guys,

an update, but at the begining a short tutorial, to respond to michaele. Ho do I convert plastic into wood:

1. a set of paints I use. You can take different browns of both acrylic and vangoghs, depends on what final effect you want to get. If oak-like I use these, if mahogany, I use very dark brown of VanGogh. Definitely you have to put first acrylics (2-3), than oil vangoghs (1-2) and gloss or semigloss or flat acrylic one at the end.

HNaBiHF.jpg

2. Primary version is poor

xbScDvO.jpg

3. First step, ochre brown by aero and orange brown with dry, stiff brush

qooUX7i.jpg

4. Then other parts painted with acrylic as VanGoghs are oil so later

lj1M3A6.jpg

5. Now first VanGogh, light one (semi dry brush)

kKyt8p0.jpg

6. And immediately the darker VanGogh to mix them up. With ear pick I smoothly make final moves and remove too much oil paints, esp. at the curves or edges. Then immediately I put acrylic semi gloss to get emulasions between VanGoghs and this clear acrylic. Once it is dry (3-4 days as these oil dry very slowly), I painted knobs with flat black.

9UHFy6J.jpg

7. Here you can see different details to be add on bow part of deck

POrWEwS.jpg

4lgEPLE.jpg

IgVqux6.jpg

LTbxz19.jpg

iwNRkwY.jpg

And here it is front part of deck with above details

FPzWM0h.jpg

rLNxVL6.jpg

Regards,

tbc...

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Interesting to follow this one as I inherited one almost built from an uncle many years ago. There were a lot of broken and missing bits and I never did get it done. It was passed on to a friend when I left UK for US in '98 and I don't think he finished it either. He's now seriously ill with Alzheimer's and didn't even recognise me last time I saw him.

Ian

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys, the deck is ready, including bow rigging. Now it is time to go up! ;)

dtxvwsn.jpg

x7orBiS.jpg

GZyqDCR.jpg

3lJLc90.jpg

e8Zbbws.jpg

oVH0Rve.jpg

6ooqXBC.jpg

7iBc3DU.jpg

nt43hV4.jpg

LkCDElh.jpg

ojEMLT7.jpg

Sbl1QZA.jpg

2Q0cYt7.jpg

uCoWhs1.jpg

iub1RcD.jpg

Rear railings are missing. They will appear once mizzen mast is fixed. Some hanging ropes from the bowsprit wait for the foremast, TBC...

Regards

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Guys, as of to day it is as it is, i mean foremast is equiped with sails and 90% of ropes and other stuff. The rest, like brasses will be added later. Now I have to make a break for another project, kindly wellcome to civil vehicles workshop ;)

LZfmVuz.jpg

MEoMWlI.jpg

QF3CGfx.jpg

yRRUQL5.jpg

2FUJ0Oj.jpg

kETwab2.jpg

Best regards and I think in Janaury tbc ;)

• Like 6