1/100 scale Jupiter missile [3D Printed]

For a while, I've wanted to have some kind of missile collection in scale model form akin to the model missile collection present at the Kennedy Space Center(pictured below). To that end, I decided to start with the Jupiter missile.

bzRrAhJ.jpg

(Pardon the weird editing, I had to remove some faces and i'm not exactly an expert at this)

To begin, I was simply aiming to make an external model, but after some research I discovered a myriad of internal details and decided to create a cutaway model. To start, I made the basic shape in Autodesk Fusion 360.

J2e4Pe6.png

Next, I began creating some of the internals and the engine.

kpsVMLt.png

When it came to the engine, as I would find there is a lot of complexity here. Since this model is intended to be printed in 1/100 scale, and since I didn't want to spend an eternity on it, I decided to simplify the engine.

H7MeGp5.png

Finially, I added some details to the inside including the warhead and its rocket motor, leading to the semi-finalized model shown below.

WbkJIFs.png

And in a minor afterthought, a stand was created.

p1Ureja.png

Then, the first print was created. Unfortunately, some over-supporting led to the engine crumbling and some other parts failing, so another print was set up which, as of the creation of this post, is in the works. Each one takes 28 hours due to puny layer heights, but it does make some very, very good looking prints.

hS631AI.jpg

On that note, time to wait. Thanks for taking a look.

• Like 8

Update #2 

All the parts have successfully printed now, and I have begun the process of painting them. Unfortunately, I had a bit of an issue keeping the cylindrical fuselage from rolling (go figure) which resulted in some rough paint spots. I'm thinking tomorrow I'll probably sand dome some of the paint and try again. The interior did go well, though. Most of the colors were just my best guess as I have not been able to find any color photos of the inside of a Jupiter missile. 

31q5BpA.jpg

P.S. the nosecone hatch came out great, but it is not pictured here.

• Like 3

Update #3

This one's short and sweet, after some paint trouble, it's finished! I'm stepping away from it for a bit as to not accidentally destroy it before I get some more pictures for the ready-for-inspection section.

The checkered parts were made using 3D printed masks secured to the model with masking fluid(as it would turn out this was not a great plan, resulting in a rough paint job).

MjL2MuD.jpgd0VzniM.jpgD7i7ES0.jpg

Thanks for following along;

-Alex

• Like 5