1/8 Nagano Honda GL1000 K1 Goldwing 1975

The original GL1000 Goldwing was the world's biggest and heaviest bike when it was introduced in 1975.

Most notable for its unique water-cooled flat-four engine, the GL also featured shaft drive, twin front disc brakes and an under-seat fuel tank.

The Wing produced 80bhp, had a top speed of 120 mph (193 kph), and accelerated hard despite 571lb (260kg) weight.

Its smoothness and comfort rapidly won a large following, especially among the middle-aged Americans.

Along with the kit photos that have not been started yet, I have included pictures of one of my own 1975 bikes that I restored in 2018.

2augL3U.jpg
NE4TpmJ.jpg
8b5OarP.jpg
N0LIRAy.jpg
8ZfbTlu.jpg
XD6RNa6.jpg
59fUwUn.jpg
N38yBdz.jpg
Pb6AU41.jpg
WCENjxd.jpg

• Like 4

Interesting, never knew there even was a Goldwing kit! They are beautiful bikes, not terribly common here, but my neighbour happens to have one. Your 1:1 looks beautiful, and I'll be following the kit build with interest!

Honda's have always been THE bikes for me, although I don't ride myself. Used to have a '73 CB125 back when I was a teenager, and my license didn't allow anything bigger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had this kit in my stash for  very long time, but in  moment of madness, sold it on eBay!

Got a decent amount for it. Now I wish I hadn't sold it, but when I find one on the bay, they are sooo expensive.

Cheers,

Alan.

5 hours ago, Alan R said:

I had this kit in my stash for  very long time, but in  moment of madness, sold it on eBay!

Got a decent amount for it. Now I wish I hadn't sold it, but when I find one on the bay, they are sooo expensive.

Cheers,

Alan.

Sadly it's very true that kits of 70's bikes seem to be very pricey these days.

I have had this kit for about 5 or 6 years.

• Like 1

Oh, nice! Didn't know they did a Gold Wing. I have their Z1R, H1 and H2 kits, although the latter 2 are the Heller boxing.

Love vintage bikes and your restoration too. I ride a lovely 1985 BMW K100RS myself. Another flat-four.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, TBC said:

Oh, nice! Didn't know they did a Gold Wing. I have their Z1R, H1 and H2 kits, although the latter 2 are the Heller boxing.

Love vintage bikes and your restoration too. I ride a lovely 1985 BMW K100RS myself. Another flat-four.

Future classic the brick RS in my opinion, shame that so many get Cafe Racer chopped around, don't get me wrong, I like some of them if they are done well but most look awful. Must be an age thing! Lol.

• Like 1

Hi all, I have started test fitting some of the major parts together. The engine cases will be painted in flat aluminium with polished rocker covers and timing belt covers.

The frame will have to be painted in two halves with the fuel tank glued to the left frame, this will allow me to fit the engine, and the top dummy fuel tank cover will have to be fitted before the headstock is glued together. Also, the oil filter and water pump housing under the radiator is to be fitted once the engine is in the frame.

So not a straight forward build, going to need lots of planning to get this bike together, but all good fun. Finally, the last picture is part of my restoration photos from my real bike I restored in 2018 to show a comparison of the parts in the kit.

DsKMKtg.jpg
0YQbmAs.jpg
u2kaAH8.jpg
AjRuJEU.jpg
CFAn6gZ.jpg
YFVWSaP.jpg
ZqZw50F.jpg
7l7kJz8.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all, well I finally found some free time to post an update on this 70's bike build. I usually prefer to get the fuel tank and side panels painted early on in the build, as it's what is most noticeable about a bike model and can be tricky to get looking right.

However, this kit wants you to fit the dummy tank top flap almost at the start of the construction, there's a "T" bracket that pivots on cut out sections in the frame. I decided to insert the engine and rear wheel assembly but leave the headstock part of the frame free from glue. This allowed me to get all the paintwork finished on the dummy fuel tank and to fit the top cover allowing me to then glue that frame area.

Then I was able to fit the exhaust system and the front wheel assembly. The kit supplied rear brake light housing was a US version that looks much larger than the early production UK tail light. I had an old disassembled Airfix CB750 kit that had the early tail light lens, so I substituted that for the kit version.

Next will be to fit the lower chrome front mudguard stay, the chrome clock covers, the handle bars and switch gear.

KWyGyM3.jpg
Bh5TRth.jpg
FQyqDtH.jpg
uHw046L.jpg
jZ59uvL.jpg
bYbmYtG.jpg
4EMaWu8.jpg
ALpdvJz.jpg
OoQGREH.jpg
RWl7iNF.jpg
x40A082.jpg
Ti01Vyg.jpg