1/48 Swiss F/A-18C J-5011 Tiger Meet 2013

FortyEighter

1 hour ago, Jb65rams said:

Nice choice. I built this kit in the previous Hornet STGB.

As I recall I had some trouble getting the nose to fit correctly.
Link to my WIP, may be of some help.

Thanks for the link, will have a read before next weekend.  If it's like any other Hobbyboss kit the main issues may well be modelling the various compartments closed.

On 1/3/2022 at 9:04 PM, Lex77 said:

Nice Tiger scheme!

On 1/3/2022 at 9:36 PM, trickyrich said:

mmmm Tiger Meet scheme!!! :wub:

Looking forward to this build, good luck with it.

2 hours ago, Anatol Pigwa said:

Ah, a Swiss one, And a tiger as well! this will be quite a feat.   

The decals drew my attention on the Syhart stand at Telford a few years ago, let's hope the kit doesn't present too many issues as the main point of this build will be the livery.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress to show (and very little done on this aircraft in the past week)

2022-01-20_04-48-22

Closing up the two fuselage halves at the front was a pain; despite trimming the cockpit etch where it was wider than the plastic and several test fits, I've ended up with a slight gap under the leading edge extensions but it will fill!

Despite his lack of feet I have been assured that the pilot is certified to fly this aircraft for display purposes - at least he fits in that way and the amputation can't be seen once installed.

There's a lot of detailing etch - some of it can be seen around the cockpit edges but the fiddly bits won't get used.

Mike

• Like 6

I do the same thing w/ PE.  How visible is it divided by how much of a pain is it to install.  If the perceived value is greater than 1, press on.  If not, sod it.  Most will never see it anyways.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/26/2022 at 7:12 PM, FortyEighter said:

Despite his lack of feet I have been assured that the pilot is certified to fly this aircraft for display purposes - at least he fits in that way and the amputation can't be seen once installed.

😂 - Of the 7 models I built so far I had to torture all of the pilots: clipping feet, boiling and bending legs, shaving off backs, filing away backsides. All sorts oft things. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was it really Feb 10th for the above post - time flies when you're building several kits at once.

Anyway this is getting closer to meeting the deadline:

2022-03-20_04-44-24

I decided to paint the fins just in case the decals for them don't exactly match the shape of the plastic.

HUD frames fitted today and rather than the kit clear plastic I'll use some acetate sheet.

Removing the canopy seams took some time and I wasn't happy with the finish so ordered some "Looks like glass" and it does 🤗  Once those items are in place it will be time to lay down some grey - all the stores, doors and tanks are ready to be painted at the same time.

Mike

PS Forgot to say that there are no IFF antennas in this kit but I've fitted some nice etched bases intended for an F-16 but will need to modify the shape of the vanes to resemble those on a Hornet.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress:

20220330_140534

• IFF antennas from etched bases and plastic section.
  • Hole opened for the searchlight; it would have been simpler if I had noticed that these were a fixture of the Swiss machines before closing up the nose 😒  However on the plus side there is an unused lens on the clear sprue, which will fit on the end of a section of plastic rod after that is glued into the hole - to save masking I'll fit the lens at the end with "looks like glass".
  • I'm not sure about the two canopy sections - there are no masks available on that well known auction site and no noticeable frame mouldings to cut masking tape along 🤔

• Like 2