Jackroadkill's 2021 kit-ruining spree.

jackroadkill

This year I wanted to get ten kits over the line.  Did I manage it?  Well, I'll know by the end of this post, won't I?

I appear to have been very slow off the mark indeed; I didn't finish this first one until March...:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was the 1/48 ICM Spitfire mkIX.  It took me forever because I got clever and built the kit with the engine semi-exposed, when the kit is designed for the Merlin to be either completely covered or completely naked.  It resulted in a bit of a fight with the kit, and although it was hard I learned a lot.  I did some scratch-building of engine parts, beer-barrel pylons etc and learned how to cut a kit up with something approaching confidence.  I didn't enjoy much about the kit, if I'm honest, but it did lead to my first-ever forum signature, courtesy of our very own @mark.au.

It got worse; this one wasn't out of the way until May.  So, five months in, two kits complete.  Ooops.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Of course, this is the beautiful new-tooled 1/72 mk1 Bristol Beaufort from Airfix.  I loved this kit so much - it was a real joy to build and shows that on their day Airfix can get in the ring with any manufacturer and come up trumps.  I build this for the ANZAC group build (a first) and painted it with my airbrush (another first).  I had a real ball building this kit and it got my mojo working after spending what seemed like ages getting nowhere with two other kits (see below!).

May might have seen the second kit off the 2021 production line, but it wasn't done yet:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had a crack at this little kit, Tamiya's 1/48 Fieseler Fi103, or V1 in common parlance,  for the Less Than A Tenner GB.  I really enjoyed it, both because it was very nicely built and because I did the whole lot in about three days!  Pre-shading made its first appearance on one of my kits and even if I say so myself I think I got the hang of it at the first attempt.

The back end of May was out, as far as modelling was concerned as there was lots of farming to be done.  Once it was out of the way I got on with one of my favourite subjects for the Less Than A Tenner GB:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This one was Airfix's 1/48 Bf109E, which can be built as an E-1, an E-3, an E-4 or an E-7.  Here it's built as an E-4.  I like this kit a lot, undercarriage legs and skinny propeller notwithstanding, and was very chuffed to get one for <£10 and get it into the GB.  There were plans for another build in said GB but time was against me in the end.

July saw another GB, the Bf109 (well, I had to, really).  Not content to do an Emil or a G6, both of which I had more than one of in my stash, I had to go for something different:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I found Academy's 1/48 Bf109T to be a very basic kit that needed a bit of slapping around to get it to behave and look tidy, but I think I got there in the end.  I loved the paint scheme and it turned out pretty well, I think.  Although the kit is really an ancient Emil with some resin wingtips bolted on it looks okay - okay enough for me to have bought more Academy kits since, at any rate.

Although I spent every spare minute of August building kits, nothing got finished.  In September, though I did however finish a 1/48 Airfix Defiant mk1 that I'd been working on since March.  Why it took me this long I just can't say - I lost my mojo with it and that's that.  It was also intertwined with the Never-Ending Tempest (TM) that I started in January, and which will make an appearance in this thread soon.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I built it OOB and just wanted to get it finished.  If I'm honest I rushed the weathering and could have done a better job.  I'll build another some day and try to do it some justice.

The next model was a birthday present from my brother, and one that I entered into the Bristol Aircraft Company GB, just about squeaking it in before the lock.  I finished this on the 1st of October, so it was really cutting things fine here.  The kit was okay, but not without its foibles.  However, I didn't make my job any easier by insisting on painting invasion stripes on the aircraft, did I?  No, I certainly did not.  Still, it looks okay, I think:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit was Revell's new-ish 1/48 Beaufighter and it's a proper tank.  Still, who doesn't love a set of big twin Bristols?

Finally, ten months after I started it, the Never-Ending Tempest (TM) came to an end, thus proving that names can be deceptive.  I hated this build.  I really hated it.  The construction was lovely but I ran out of effs to give around about March and it just sat waiting until I finally managed to drag it over the line:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit was Eduard's rather natty 1/48  Weekend version and built up very nicely.  For some unknown reason I chose the full invasion stripes scheme and insisted on spraying the codes, fin flashes, roundels and serials.  While this looks pretty nice, I suspect the decision may have something to do with my hatred of this build.  However, I'm a grown-up and have moved on.  Honestly.  No, really, I have.  Really.

I then went from the ridiculous to the sublime, Airfix's 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11, and what a lovely kit this is, especially with its nice Xtradecal markings:

spacer.png

spacer.png

This was at the start of November and it was beginning to look like I might get to ten before the year was out - after all, this was the ninth kit I completed.  I loved this little kit and am glad that there's another lurking in my stash.  The scheme wasn't difficult but was still enjoyable and I fell properly in love with this little aircraft.  The kit was a very easy build and is just as good for a newbie or an old sweat.

You guessed it, I managed my ten kits!  In early December I finished another lovely kit, the 1/48 HobbyBoss Ta152C-11:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit was a complete breeze to build and took very little wrangling.  If I have one complaint it's that the cavernous and visible fuselage interior could do with some sort of detail.  I used Mr. Super Clear gloss for the first time and it really made things pop.  Some markings were stencilled on with the airbrush and some were decalled.  This build really gave me a KUTA and restored my mojo.  I used a Quickboost prop and cowling and I think they really gave the kit an edge.

So, those were my ten builds for 2021.  I learned a hell of a lot along the way and think I'm slowly getting there in terms of my building, both in technique and confidence.  I almost got another kit done, but that will have to feature in 2022's yearbook.  Oh well, it's one out of the blocks nice and early.

I'd like to thank everyone who has offered me help, support or advice over the year.  I'm not the greatest modeller but I'm improving slowly and I really appreciate all the members of BM who have helped me make these improvements.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 17

Well, you earned the signature for sure with that lovely spitfire and the other nine sit very comfortably in its presence.  That’s a very nice haul for one year’s work and I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with in 2022.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Yay, goal scored!

That's a cracking line up and a most enjoyable narrative. Well done!

41 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great line up JRK, glad you reached your 10 kits .  Great work on all.

Chris

4 minutes ago, mark.au said:

Well, you earned the signature for sure with that lovely spitfire and the other nine sit very comfortably in its presence.  That’s a very nice haul for one year’s work and I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with in 2022.

Thanks chaps - very kind comments indeed.  I hope I can improve again this year.

• Like 1

Lovely work JRK. I particularly like the Defiant, the never-ending Tempest (TM) and the Vampire, but you're displaying a consistently high standard of modelling - looking forward to seeing more in 2022!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...