1:72 Revell/Matchbox Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

On 03/01/2022 at 11:30, general melchett said:

As for Baldrick becoming your therapist, it's an idea, a bad one, but an idea. If and when I get him back from his therapist and out of his straightjacket, I'll ask him...

Please don't remove the straitjacket if it makes Baldrick feel protected and secure from the evils of the outside world (specifically people who attempt to build unbuildable kits). I can always ask for therapeutic guidance from @Martian - if, of course, I can get past the aroma of the tentacles,    🐙

On 03/01/2022 at 12:56, stevej60 said:

Outstanding work Bill,in this world of state of the art kit's with everything but the kitchen sink in the box it's great that the patience

and skills  to turn a kit most would run a mile from or go for nostalgia only are  still out there to do this kind of modelling.Brilliant!

Thanks. If I had known before I started, I probably would have run away!    🏃‍♂️

17 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully executed piece of art!  Love the low angle photo portraits of this bruiser, because they give it heft and scale.

Thanks - I like the low angle shots because they are similar to viewing the actual subject at eye level. At least that's the theory.

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Simply splendid Bill, it shows no sign of being in a best of three falls wrestling match with you, obviously you won the important two. :)

Thanks Steve. It's amazing that I won two of the three rounds as I'm not much of a wrestler.    :)

12 hours ago, Dunny said:

That is beautiful work Bill - you've certainly made a silk purse from a sow's ear!

Thanks. It might have been easier if I had used a sow's ear.    :pig:

5 hours ago, javlin said:

Just absolutely beautiful build and the paint fading looks spot on Sir! :worthy:

Thanks. The paint fading is nothing more than a bit of post shading. For example, the basic scheme is white, intermediate blue, and non-specular sea blue. I randomly applied intermediate blue over the sea blue for the top surfaces, and a mixture of intermediate blue and gray over the sides. It may be possible to achieve this effect with pre-shading, but I think the post shading is easier. In any event, I think the end result looks OK no matter how it is produced.

The underside white is post-shaded with off-white, light grey, and smoke grey, but the photo doesn't show it very well. Looks much better with the old Mk. I eyeball.

IMG_6122

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

How dare you Sir! I'll have you know my tentacle don't smell. They do however give off an odourless hormone, irresistible to female Earthlings.

Outraged of Mars 👽

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

How dare you Sir! I'll have you know my tentacle don't smell. They do however give off an odourless hormone, irresistible to female Earthlings.

I only meant I didn't want your tentacle's aroma to interfere with my odorless hormone. I'm getting pretty old - there are only so many female Earthlings left for me to impress with chemistry!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2

I can always ask for therapeutic guidance from Martian - if, of course, I can get past the aroma of the tentacles,    

That's like asking the memsahib to explain the proposed changes to the LBW rules, unfathomable. As for aromatic tentacles, well, that's more Baldrick's sphere of interest....:tmi:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Bill……..undoubtably a labor of love that turned out absolutely beautiful.  I commend you for this masterpiece.  :worthy:

Thanks Mike. I think love might be too strong of a word, but I always wanted to build this so I can have a stablemate for the PB4Y-1. I tried to get a picture with both together, but they won't fit in my photo booth!

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Wonderful result, Bill :worthy:  I particularly like the paint finish on this one, it's just spot on!  :clap:  :clap:

Thanks Giorgio. Weathering is always a mixed bag for me. No doubt the real aircraft was more weathered than my model, but I am always worried about overdoing it. That is so easy to do! Besides, on its way to being extremely weathered, the real plane must at some point have looked like my rendition. Ha!

9 hours ago, general melchett said:

That's like asking the memsahib to explain the proposed changes to the LBW rules, unfathomable.

Leg Before Wicket?    🏏   :drunk:

9 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Great result, Bill - a masterpiece in fact!

Thanks Tom! It's not in the same league as your big monsters, but she came out OK. How's that humongous B-52 coming along?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

Leg Before Wicket?       

That's the fella Bill, cricket, one of life's great imponderables...situational awareness is vital for self-preservation, specialized equipment had to be developed to prevent potentially catastrophic and potentially irreversible damage to any lineage related plans the player may have.. :fight:  :howzat::shutup:

• Haha 1

Congratulations for seeing it through- and not only that, but making it look like a good model!  If I had to give any "constructive criticism" it would be that the speckled top color looks a bit too uniformly non-uniform - like a technique more than a replication - but that's an extreme nit.  I also, having seen that lovely cockpit, wondered why you bothered now that I imagine it is virtually invisible!

I'm not quite convinced that any larger scale is heresy, but I do admit the last couple of times I've examined my 48th B-24 (in the box) I've been a bit intimidated, and one in 1/32 (which I've seen at a show) is just ridiculous.  So perhaps you're right...

• Thanks 1

On 11/01/2022 at 06:22, rob85 said:

Bill that’s a complete stunner, really inspiring stuff! Hope things are ok your end, 

Thanks Rob. Things are OK at this end.

On 11/01/2022 at 07:06, gingerbob said:

If I had to give any "constructive criticism" it would be that the speckled top color looks a bit too uniformly non-uniform

Busted! Being "random" requires organisation and proper prior planning...which upon my retirement I left at the office.    :)

I saw the 1:32 B-24 in a box at a local club meeting and it was too big for me. Too big for the guy who bought it too, as it's still in the box. I used to build 1:48 exclusively, and it was those 1:48 Monogram bombers that made me switch to 1:72. I just had no place to put the finished models. Of course, I then built the 1:72 Monogram B-36 just to show how addled my brain was.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Having built a couple in the past, even getting those rear fuselage inserts to appear flush is a some undertaking!

Thanks - it involved a bit of putty that's for sure. Even the inserts that came with the kit were ill-fitting, not just the Cobra resin panels. I think this may have a lot to do with the size of the panels and the resulting "holes" in the fuselage sides. This makes the fuselage halves weak and flexible - as were the resin panels. It was hard to achieve good alignment between the two. Based on builds by other modellers, I reinforced the panel/fuselage joint with five minute epoxy to make sure that the seam wouldn't "pop" during the handling required during the remainder of the build (and my grandson playing with it - there are a lot of enemy subs in my parlor)!    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 2