1:72 Revell/Matchbox Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

Probably the best Privateer in this scale I've ever seen on these pages.  The framework on the glass is in scale and absolutely stunning. It appears that you also filled the trench like panel lines.  

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Thanks 1

What a fabulous Privateer Bill,....... the best I have seen,......... really top notch mate and well up there with your other models,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Yowzah! I recall seeing a 1/48 Koster conversion used to make one that looked pretty darned good, but you got the same detailing he did in 1/72 scale! You have really set the bar on this one, Bill! Congratulations! I am speechless! (No comments, CC!) :worthy:

Mike

• Thanks 1

Well, I'm gobsmacked! If, without looking at the notes, somebody had suggested that some basic parts of this magnificent display of modelling skills had a Matchbox origin, I wouldn't have believed it.

Anyway, the amount of TLC that the kit has received has elevated the result to a work of art.

As the original responder so eloquently put it: Wow!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

You, Sir, have provided us with an object lesson in perseverence, persistence, patience, and superb modelling. What a superb result for your efforts.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

The framework on the glass is in scale and absolutely stunning. It appears that you also filled the trench like panel lines.  

Thanks for the compliment. Surprisingly, this is one of the Matchbox models that features raised panel lines. And they are exceptionally fine so I left them in.

18 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Your pain was worthwhile! What a stunner!

Thanks - pain is perhaps a bit strong for my experience (other than my unending back problems) but it's close.    :drunk:

17 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a fabulous Privateer Bill,....... the best I have seen,......... really top notch mate and well up there with your other models,

Thanks Tony. Now if I can just ratchet up and meet your production numbers my display case would be filled in no time!    :)

16 hours ago, JWM said:

Magnificent! This is a reference build. I mean - it cannot be done better... One can just try to follow it.,

Thanks. Hopefully the WIP helps people follow what I've done so if they build this kit they can do better than I did.    :)

9 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Yowzah! I recall seeing a 1/48 Koster conversion used to make one that looked pretty darned good, but you got the same detailing he did in 1/72 scale! You have really set the bar on this one, Bill! Congratulations! I am speechless! (No comments, CC!) :worthy:

Thanks Mike. I remember that conversion as well, at least I think it's the same one. I believe the modeller's name was G. Kittinger as that is part of the file name for the photos. He/she did an amazing job and the level of detail is astounding. As I learned with my 1:32 Spitfire, adding detail is easier in the larger scales but you have to do a lot more of it.

4 hours ago, John R said:

Clearly the work of someone with a serious mental problem. Bill, you should see someone about it.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Accordingly, I have scheduled a consultation with @Martian and @general melchett to determine if Baldrick would be a suitable choice for a therapist. If so, I'll need an introduction and the commitment papers.     :banghead:

2 hours ago, Joao Augusto said:

Impressive model! I have this kit and some of the upgrade items you used, but I still haven't got the courage to face it. Congratulations!

Thanks. Go ahead and build the kit - my WIP shows the pitfalls I encountered so you can avoid them. That should be my new title on this forum - Pitfall Detector in Chief.    :doh:

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

If, without looking at the notes, somebody had suggested that some basic parts of this magnificent display of modelling skills had a Matchbox origin, I wouldn't have believed it.

Thanks Joachim. It is indeed a Matchbox kit, just in a Revell box. Believe it or not, I was looking through my stash the other day and discovered that I have another copy of this kit in the original Matchbox guise, complete with three different colours of plastic (blue, black, and white). I have absolutely no recollection of when or where I acquired this kit. Maybe it was placed there by the ghost of Matchbox to further haunt me. In any event, this kit has already been started (and not very well I might add) so perhaps it's a relic of my misspent youth.    :drunk:

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. I appreciate it.    :thanks:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• Navy Bird changed the title to 1:72 Revell/Matchbox Consolidated PB4Y-2 Privateer

That's beautiful Bill, superb job, especially considering the source material. We now just await the inevitable Tamizoukifinemoldsagawa offering.

The remaining errors were left in intentionally

Nice caveat, I use it often myself...

As for Baldrick becoming your therapist, it's an idea, a bad one, but an idea. If and when I get him back from his therapist and out of his straightjacket, I'll ask him... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Outstanding work Bill,in this world of state of the art kit's with everything but the kitchen sink in the box it's great that the patience

and skills  to turn a kit most would run a mile from or go for nostalgia only are  still out there to do this kind of modelling.Brilliant!

• Thanks 1

That is beautiful work Bill - you've certainly made a silk purse from a sow's ear! 

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1