ModelKraft Milton Keynes 8th May 2022 IMPORTANT UPDATE

WarthogMKL

It's handy to know that there's no under table sales. I couldn't have attended anyway but I'm slightly less disappointed now.

I hope it all goes really well, the MK club seems to produce such marvellous models as well as a heck of a show. I'll see you next year. 

1 hour ago, Neo uk said:

No public model competion then ?

Ten quid entrance fee seems a bit steep though

So is the £7000+ it cost to hire the halls and tables this year with an increase next year which may put the future of the show in doubt. Bear in mind this is the worlds largest one day show in a large arena not a school hall. 

How much is a cinema ticket for a two hour film or a ticket to a Football/Ice Hockey game in MK they are  both well over £10! 

And yes there is a competition judged off the club sig tables and a special table for those not part of a club. WE have the same medals and Trophies (Again costing over £200) as always and no fee to enter.

An all profits are donated to charity so the club. makes nothing out of it other than a lot of hard work and a major sense of achievement. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Neo uk said:

No public model competion then ?

Ten quid entrance fee seems a bit steep though

There is - just not in the same way as previously - please read the FAQ on the show web page - 

(I have copied the relevant passage here and highlighted the appropriate sentence relating to visitors wishing to enter the competition if they are not part of a SIG or club)

What is happening with the competition this year?

Last year we had to make some decisions relating to our show while unsure what the Covid situation would be, and some have had an impact on our competition.

So, for 2022 we will be judging models on the Club and SIG tables so all models on display are in the competition.

If you are visiting for that day and are not with a Club or a SIG, your models can be placed on the tables to the right of the main entrance next to Phoenix Scale Publications stand.

Table Number 209 on the Floorplans

Judging will be carried out by members IPMS Milton Keynes, but we are also looking for some volunteers especially those with judging experience to help us.

So, if you fancy a go meet up at the Table 209 at 11.45 PM for a briefing

Judging will take place between 12pm and 1pm and medals placed on the tables

At 1.30PM winners will be invited to take their models with their medals to the Top Table located in the new side hall. Please ask anyone in a MK club shirt if you need any help or visit table 209.

At 2pm the club judges will meet at the table to decide the winner from all displayed models

(Unusually large or difficult to move models can be judged on club or SIG stand after talking to David Francis Acting Competition Secretary)

At 3 PM the Trophy for Best Club/SIG Stand and Best in Show will be announced over the hall PA system and visitors invited to visit the Top Table to view the winners in one place

At 3.30PM models can be removed from the Top Table and returned to the club/SIG stand

At our next show we hope to return to our normal competition format

If you have any enquires or questions for anything relating to our show, please email modelkraft2022@gmail.com we will get back to you as soon as possible.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 7:21 PM, WarthogMKL said:

another reason is that we are raising money for charity and a large chunk of that comes from traders

Well another way to do that, and have a happy bunch of bargain hunting modellers, would be to charge a fee to clubs that wish to sell under the tables. A £10 fee per club would be easily split between the members who wish to sell things and you would have a lot more money to give to the charities. And don't forget that the first ones with their sticky fingers on peoples stashes are the traders who then sell those kits later on for a profit.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Why the big discount on entry ticket for 'Seniors'?  Most seniors I know seem to have considerably more disposable income than those with young families.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Like 2

£10 too steep? really for a good day out in a good venue, I dont really think so. 

• Like 2

I hope the arena staff are more switched on this year. Some of us will be getting up at the crack of stupid to make set up, and having to wait until 11 am to get some food or drink is not conducive to happy modellers.

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I hope the arena staff are more switched on this year. Some of us will be getting up at the crack of stupid to make set up, and having to wait until 11 am to get some food or drink is not conducive to happy modellers.

Mc D right outside the venue but food is supposed to start at 10.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Julien said:

£10 too steep? really for a good day out in a good venue, I dont really think so. 

Absolutely too much for me.  I can look at models and talk modelling for a lot less than that at my club and at other shows.  For me MK was marginal because of distance, but with fuel price rises and now this it makes it a day out I can't justify. Especially as it's only me that gets the day out, it's not one that my family will want to share in.

Wishing you all a successful show.

Edited by 3DStewart
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, modelling minion said:

And don't forget that the first ones with their sticky fingers on peoples stashes are the traders who then sell those kits later on for a profit.

That's a bit harsh lol. Most Traders at any given show (other than the 'grave robbers') couldn't give a stuff about buying dusty old, moth eaten boxes for sale at over optimistic prices.

Stands back and waits for the pelters from Secondhand Kit Traders and punters alike 🤣

Joking aside, I hope that the show went well for all involved regardless of which side of the tables they were on. There's enough doom and gloom about without modellers tearing lumps out of each other for the sake of some plastic and glue.

Duncan B

• Like 4

A great show!

Very well attended with some absolutely fantastic models on display!

Thoroughly enjoyed the day! :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Duncan B said:

That's a bit harsh lol. Most Traders at any given show (other than the 'grave robbers') couldn't give a stuff about buying dusty old, moth eaten boxes for sale at over optimistic prices.

Harsh but fair for a couple, one even going through boxes before we had set the club stand up one year at Hinckley.

All that aside someone mentioned the H&S aspect of under the table trading? that would also have to ring true for traders putting stuff in boxes uner the table?

All in all though today MK was a success and yes there were some decent bargains to be had. 

• Like 3

Many thanks to all the Milton Keynes members for putting such a huge, busy and productive show. I was very tired at the end of it (a long, boring story) but had a great time. In light of the hire charge for the arena and tables, 10 quid doesn't seem to be such a big ask, to be frank. I hope that any potential issues with holding future shows can be resolved.  

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Like 4

And we raised a phenomenal amount for the two charities Willen Hospice and Medical Detection Dogs UK , we will know exactly how much at the AGM in May but to looks to be well over five thousand pounds plus everything in the show buckets received directly by the two charities

So a big thank you all for attending the show and we will let you know asap if there will be a ModelKraft 2023 probably after the AGM in May..

D

• Like 11

10 hours ago, WarthogMKL said:

And we raised a phenomenal amount for the two charities Willen Hospice and Medical Detection Dogs UK , we will know exactly how much at the AGM in May but to looks to be well over five thousand pounds plus everything in the show buckets received directly by the two charities

So a big thank you all for attending the show and we will let you know asap if there will be a ModelKraft 2023 probably after the AGM in May..

D

That's an excellent result, very well done.

Duncan B

12 hours ago, Julien said:

Harsh but fair for a couple, one even going through boxes before we had set the club stand up one year at Hinckley.

I bet we can all guess who too lol . Funnily enough as much as I love making early sales at a show there is nothing worse than a punter starting to rummage while we are still trying to set up (or once we are knocking down for that matter).

All that aside someone mentioned the H&S aspect of under the table trading? that would also have to ring true for traders putting stuff in boxes uner the table?

Yes, I'd agree with that H & S is for everyone to adhere to

All in all though today MK was a success and yes there were some decent bargains to be had. 

Glad to hear you had a good day, by the sounds of it the show has also raised a lot of cash for it's chosen charities which is a great result.

DB

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:09 PM, modelling minion said:

Well another way to do that, and have a happy bunch of bargain hunting modellers, would be to charge a fee to clubs that wish to sell under the tables. A £10 fee per club would be easily split between the members who wish to sell things and you would have a lot more money to give to the charities. And don't forget that the first ones with their sticky fingers on peoples stashes are the traders who then sell those kits later on for a profit.

I think i said £20 per club! All it needs is a receipt on show to prove you have paid. 

Andy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Julien said:

I think that there are certainly "the usual suspects" as far as this practice is concerned, our club has had the same thing happen at several shows. The majority of traders at shows are selling new products and are not interested in what clubs are selling under their tables and are also not affected by what is sold under the tables.

12 hours ago, WarthogMKL said:

And we raised a phenomenal amount for the two charities Willen Hospice and Medical Detection Dogs UK

Really happy to hear that.👍

It was a very good day out and there were some fantastic models on display and I think that the MK team did a very good job of organising and running the show so a big thank you for that.

48 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I think i said £20 per club! All it needs is a receipt on show to prove you have paid. 

Andy

A very reasonable amount when split between those selling on the day, and more money for the charities.

🇺🇦

• Like 3

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

The majority of traders at shows are selling new products and are not interested in what clubs are selling under their tables and are also not affected by what is sold under the tables.

That is a pretty bold and sweeping statement. Logically, people attending the shows will have only a finite amount of money to spend. Any money spent on under-the-table kits is money that can't be expended elsewhere, to state the extremely obvious. I can see the for and against arguments with under-the-table and have some sympathies with both. 

Also, banning u-t-t sales does not eliminate folks buying second-hand kits. If they know u-t-t has been banned, they will simply negotiate sales before the event and do the transaction in the car-park. A smaller number of sales, admittedly, but they still happened at MK yesterday.  

Chris. 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone involved, I'm glad to hear that so much has been raised for charity. Having never been to either before, how does this compare in size to Telford?

Discontent on the forums about utt selling aside, it seemed to me that everyone was having a lovely time, so thanks again to all the organisers for their efforts. And Chewbacca.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Thanks to everyone involved, I'm glad to hear that so much has been raised for charity. Having never been to either before, how does this compare in size to Telford?

Discontent on the forums about utt selling aside, it seemed to me that everyone was having a lovely time, so thanks again to all the organisers for their efforts. And Chewbacca.

Telford at least three or four time larger in a pre covid show with all the foreign visitors and traders.

• Like 1

Well I for one had a smashing day, really liked the venue and the tables were outstanding, many thanks for the MK team that helped carry the Locate and Cement boxes up to the table as they turned a possible 3 trip action into a single journey.  Looking forward to the next one.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 10:29 PM, spruecutter96 said:

Many thanks to all the Milton Keynes members for putting such a huge, busy and productive show. I was very tired at the end of it (a long, boring story) but had a great time. In light of the hire charge for the arena and tables, 10 quid doesn't seem to be such a big ask, to be frank. I hope that any potential issues with holding future shows can be resolved.  

Cheers.

Chris. 

Seconded! (apart from the tiredness, that is).

A tenner is a couple of pints of beer or a bottle of wine to put it in context and raising money for two worthy charities as well as a good day out means it was money well spent.

A huge thank you from me to the club staff who clearly put a lot of time and effort into organising what was a very enjoyable show. 

• Like 2

Medical Detection Dogs UK have confirmed they raised over £250 from the buckets on their stand and would like to thank everyone who attended the show for filling their bucket.

• Like 3