What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

11 hours ago, Whofan said:

As I said, I'm not in favour of the garden centre selling pets, but the grandson is fascinated by them - he is, after all, only 3 months shy of his 3rd birthday. he sees plenty of squirrels in our garden, and I imgine that he kind equates the pets with the squirrels. 

:)

11 hours ago, Whofan said:

thanks for picking up my mistake

No worries, I honestly thought you meant Hobbycraft and I was surprised by their diversification into that field! But I suppose that if pets are looked after properly then it's an absorbing hobby. It's when people get bored of them it's a problem so I do somewhat agree with your misgivings about places like garden centres selling them.

Nice to hear your grandson likes them though, our two eldest grandkids are the same, the two youngest are too young but I hope they'll follow suit!

Keith

PS - looks like that HC has a far better selection of kits than our local, never seen AFV club in there either! 

• Thanks 1

Some aftermarket for current/future projects and one new book which arrived rather worse for the weather , came across some second-hand books to fill spaces in some series that I have on the bookshelf which hopefully should arrive in the next week.

From Frome Model Centre

1/48 Studio Model Designs 48AB11 4 x 20mm Hispano Cannon Barrels in brass for Spitfire E wing.

From Model Hobbies

1/48 Quickboost QB48100 P-61 Black Widow Gun Barrels in resin.

1/48 Quickboost QB48641 P-61 Black Widow Antennas in resin.

From Key Publications

Spanish Air Force Aircraft 1939-2021 , by Eduardo Manuel Gil Martínez & Juan Arráez Cerda , published 2021 by Key and delivered during Storm Eunice in a bubble wrap pocket type envelope but with the paper only fold-over flap mainly dissolved into pulp , the book has since dried out but with a corrugated top edge although at least the pages did not stick together.

• Like 1

Thanks to Dudley & Eunice, a new "S" bend downspout on the guttering as the existing one has come away and the rainwater is going everywhere at the moment! We have a guttering repair person coming on Monday to assess and repair as required 😔

• Sad 1

Attending the South West Model show at Bovington gave me the chance to stock up on some publications, and of course an addition to the stash. Being at the show as an exhibitor meant that I was able to pick up some real bargains towards the end of day 2!

This one was a must buy as I'm building a number of aircraft now for the IPMS Target Facilities SIG. Special Hobby are not to everyone's taste but I find them excellent kits that with reasonable effort can be built into very nice replicas. The contents of this one look superb, with vac formed canopy and some nice resin parts.

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 18.26.43

And some publications to help with a few future FAA builds:

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 18.21.03

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 18.21.58

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 18.22.38

Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 18.24.48

Better get building!

Terry

• Like 5

From Frontline Hobbies in Australia, a AZ/KP P-51B Mustang with dorsal fin, for not a bad price, & yes, I know it ain't Arma Hobby & based on the Revell kit & all sorts of terrible things but it does have the redeeming feature of having markings in it for the multiview drawing in the Profile for this model Mustang. That'll do me. I've long liked the look of that. :)

Oops forgot a couple, today too, not sure if I should put that down to the beers I had while cooking tea or the rums I had after. :shrug: From the local auction site, a KP Letov S-16, I'm blaming @AdrianMF for that one, & a Aeroclub Meteor F.8 conversion for the Matchbox/Xtrakit model. With several MPM F.8s in stock & an Airfix one in the wings, did I need it, no. But for sake of nostalgia & what we owe @John Aero for his contribution to our hobby, I couldn't not. Same as the Lancaster Mk II conversion I probably didn't need either. Maybe a York Hercules prototype one day? :)

Steve

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Rather over-extended on the occupational pension this month with some pre-orders , an occasional military kit buy , some aftermarket as well as a stack of older 1960s/80s second-books all arriving this week.    

Some of the latter such as the Jane’s and T. Shia’s  titles were to complete part series I already had , FAOW is an ongoing project for when I come across them at the right price while others represent a more general interest in the period they cover.     Of those Famous Fighter & Maritime Squadrons and Carrier Air Group were published by Hylton Lacey in the early 1970s including artwork in the style of Profile Publications of which they were then the publisher.     These were intended to be the first of a Famous Combat Units Of the World’s Air Forces series which according to the cover were for the first tranche of releases to have been joined by  Famous Bomber Squadrons Of The RAF Volume 1 unfortunately neither this nor any subsequent titles seem to have been released.

From Kingkit

FAOW 047 Hawker Siddeley Harrier , published 1974 by Bunrin-do and not an LRMTS nose in sight.

FAOW 075 BAC Lightning , published 1976 by Bunrin-do when Dark Sea used along with Green was the ‘grey’ scheme de jour.

Famous Fighter Squadrons Of The RAF Volume 1 , by James J. Halley , published 1871 by Hylton Lacey , covering – 1 , 23 , 29 , 54 and 111 Squadrons.

Combat Aircraft Of The World , by F.G. Swanborough , published 1962 , by Temple Press.

Reconnaissance Magazine No.6 , privately published January 1982 , subscription-only English-Language Dutch aviation magazine that ran to 12 issues in the early 1980s , black and white contemporary military aviation photography with a four-page fold-out with 1/72 colour profiles – Anyone have any other issues that they would care to sell ?

Squadrons Of The Royal Air Force , by James J. Halley , published 1980 by Air Britain , potted histories with bases/aircraft types along with squadron crests and images in black & white.

NATO Aircraft In Colour , by Robbie Shaw , published 1986 by Jane’s.

Military Aircraft Photography , by T. Shia , published 1988 by Enterprise Aviation Photographs & Publications.

From World Of Books

Civil Aircraft In Colour , by Hiroshi Seo , published 1985 by Jane’s.

Civil Aircraft Of The World , by Hiroshi Seo , published 1981 by Jane’s.

Military Aircraft In Colour , by Hiroshi Seo , published 1984 by Jane’s.

Via Abe Books and eBay

Famous Maritime Squadrons Of The Royal Air Force Volume 1 , by James J. Halley , published 1973 by Hylton Lacey covering - 22 , 201 , 202 , 204 and 206 Squadrons.

Carrier Air Groups – HMS Eagle , by David Brown , published 1972 by Hylton Lacey.

Airshows 85 In Action , by T. Shia , published 1986 by Enterprise Aviation Photographs & Publications.

From Sparkit

Following on from my first purchase of a 1/48 Mirage IV wheel set a few weeks ago bought some of their stunning 1/48 ejection seats for some kits already in house.

4 x AM4/BM.4 Ejection Seat for Mirage IIIB/C and IVA/P

1 x Mk.F5AF for F-8E(FN) Crusader

From Aerocraft Models

1/48 OV-10 Replacement Tailplane For ICM Kits

1/48 OV-10 Openable Canopy Set For ICM Kits

1/48 OV-10 Canopy Upgrade Set For ICM Kits

1/48 OV-10 Brass Undercarriage Set For ICM Kits x 2

First batch of Aerocraft parts for my two ICM OV-10A arrived same week as my OV-10D+ kits were delivered so repeated the order (with a missing part replaced within two days by Ali) and as with the 10A am planning one each with cockpit open/closed plus replacing the undercarriage legs with something a bit sturdier just in case , tailplane has been sorted on the 10D kit but had only ordered one for pair of 10A so remedied that.

Via Ali Express

Rather more topical now and for all the wrong reasons than when it was ordered ten days ago 1/72 4D Model Puzzle 9A52-2 Smerch Long-Range Rocket Launcher kit including delivery and VAT for the equivalent of £16.05 , 150+ parts including soft matt vinyl tyres , described as click-together assembly although gluing helps line-up the sub-assemblies and joins the BTR-80 , TOPOL ICBM TEL , Grumble SAM TEL and ‘Flat Lid’ Radar trucks I already have from the same series although unlike the others which were poly-bagged this one came in its box.

From Phoenix Publications

New - Lockheed S-3 Viking – Modeller’s Airguide 3 , by Andy Evans , published 2022 by Phoenix Publications , pre-ordered late last year and did not realise that it had been released and my copy gone adrift until a comment on  here earlier in the week , got in touch Wednesday evening and replacement arrived Friday morning , can’t do better than that.     Maybe do something now about the 1/48 Italeri Viking on the ‘to do’ pile especially as Sparkit do an intake/exhaust set . . . . .  mmm?

From Key Publications

Couple of pre-ordered books – Travis Air Force Base – The USAF’s Transport Superbase In Action , by Scott and Nick Cuong Tran - and – French Naval Aviation , by Henri-Pierre Grolleau , both published by Key and released this week.

• Like 3

A set of knobs to replace the rubbish draw pulls on our ancient IKEA Billy cabinets we have in the dining room. I am starting to refurbish them as despite their age they are still sound. I would replace the drawer runners (basically square section  grooves in the draw sides), but their design rules that out. 

Of more interest as Mrs T was vaccinating yesterday, I went on a trip to buy some modelling sundries and came back with an Avis Pemberton Billing PB25 and a AccsGB Venom that were on order with Halifax Modellers World.

• Like 1

Besides ordering paint, glue etc, my latest acquisition is a Williams Brothers C-46 Commando, this will look great next to it’s little  brother the C-47, it’s an older kit and I’ve looked it over, everything is there and in good condition, still thinking about what I can do on this, I did want the Valom kit but it was too expensive, I’ll just wait for a decal set that’s on its way for it, or I can make it into a big silver bird! 

I am a fan of aircraft that used the Double Wasp engines (R-2800), and the C46 was fitted with them! Some C-46s are still being used today! (Not many though).

Pictures to follow.