What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

New rucksack as the zip on mine broke via Amazon with some paints yesterday. Turned out I did a shoddy job of browsing as it wasn’t what I was after so will be returning it and has to walk to sports direct to just get the equivalent current model of the original one. Also annoying missed out on some decals on eBay that I thought were sold out at Hannants though turns out they are still in stock so not a problem. 

First kit  purchases of 2022, an Arma Model P51B/C Mustang and a KP Tempest VI. They have been on back order for a while and so pleased to Puck them up from Halifax. A bit difficult to park as apparently they are filming at the Piece Hall. One thing about the Tempest is that has five spoke wheels spare and so will do for the Airfix kit. 

• Like 2

I posted this in another thread but didn't see this original acquisition thread. 

Bought the 1/350 Very Fire USS Wisconsin, never built a US ship before but it was the artwork that really caught my eye. 

USS

Looks like she'll build into a nicely detailed model out of the box. I dunno much of her history just now but maybe I'll model her during the Korean War.

USS

I see that Very Fire also do a substantial upgrade set for her, I may have to invest in that too. Quite expensive like most of these upgrade sets are for ships. But she'll need to wait till HMS King George IV is finished.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Fire-1-350-USS-Wisconsin-BB-64-Battleship-Detail-Set-for-VF350912-VF350012-/303785926742?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Edited by Boydie
  • Like 4

Picked up a classic. Still have the original one I made ~40 years ago somewhere in a box in the basement, but it's missing aerials and a few prop blades.

Let's see if I can do a better one now ;)

y4mFEK8sHdYKGS95F5WkXNXoRi_angSHe0LzjPFM

• Like 6

Called into Going Loco Near me and nothing really floated my boat so was about to leave empty handed then spied this on the top shelf...

p?i=d4c28a27c9c0e58856b038016d8e1c07

My first kit purchase of 2022! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

From Aero Research

Latest release as a PDF Download – USN & USMC A-4 Skyhawks , Part 7 with 160 images of different variants and colour schemes

Via eBay

Lightning Strikes Twice : The Story Of The English Electric Lightning , by Martin W. Bowman , published 2009 by Amberley.

From Phoenix Scale Publications

F-16 Fighting Falcon : Part 1 US Versions - Real To Replica Series Number 1 , by Andy Evans , published 2022 by Phoenix Scale Publications.

Just 'accidentally' ordered the Tamiya M18 Hellcat and Tamiya PzIV F whilst perusing Jadlam's site... oops! 🤭 Both considerably cheaper than rrp and had some J Points to use so got em both for 65 quid delivered! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

Wr27GB8h.jpg

This is the HK Models 1:32 Lancaster Nose Art kit which I had on backorder at Hannants for a while and have just bought with the help of a Hannants gift voucher from my youngest daughter.

I also got an instrument panel upgrade from Airscale, 3D printed seat belt decals from Kits World and canopy masks from Eduard.

For those that might not know this is a kit of the fuselage of the Lanc forward of the wings which sits on a frame as if in a museum. I was inspired to get this having seen a build by @Pagey.

I think this is a brilliant idea and it'll make an unusual addition to the cabinet (when I eventually get round to building it - at the moment I'm just enjoying the deferred gratification).

Mark

• Like 2

20220131_151952

The Fine Molds kits came from Plaza Japan and the canopy masks from Sprue Brothers. I really want to build a couple of the Fine Molds Phantoms this year and plan to start an F-4C (previously purchased) as soon as possible.

• Like 6

A bit of a proggy week on the CD player this week.

Clockwise from top left;  The art of Losing, by The Anchoress aka Catharine Anne Davis, Wisdom of Crowds by Bruce Soord and Jonads Renske - Bruce Soord is vocalist in Pineapple Thief.

SAM_0377

The Zealot Gene by Jethro Tull, which on a cursory listen to part  of the CD sounds very much like an Ian Anderson solo album, but who's complaining? and finally Welcome to the Planet by Big Big Train. 

And then this - the presentation pack of stamps featuring the Rolling Stones (though oddly Brian Jnes isn't shown at all).

SAM_0378

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

And now some modelly bits; a re stock of Modelling tools little lenses.

SAM_0379

One rather spooky thing about these - they arrived this morning before the email I received from Modelling tools telling me thay had been dispatched !

Paul, if you read this, I think it's great service !

• Like 4

Put some shelves up to get all the bits off the floor. I had some offcuts of melamine faced mdf lurking around at work so I took them over to a neighbouring workshop to use their edge banding machine... Which is the closest I've ever felt to cheating at woodworking! Looking a little bare at the moment but it'll look much better when I get some more kits on the shelves! Tool chest is still on the floor, but it's a little cumbersome to be lifting it on and off the shelves.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Just now 3D printed bits for an F-101B Voodoo. They are travel pods with starters in 1/72 and 1/48. 

hR4jAPE.jpg

Then I added some master models metal barrel’s for early Typhoon 1b’s.

Rqcnokb.png

As well as some for Tempest Mk.II’s.

JCvEdLt.png

Last but not least was a set of aires ejection seats for my EA-18G Growler.

ZejWeWe.jpg

Dennis

• Like 5

I was hoping 2022 would be a quiet year on the acquisition front. The prospective Azur Fairey Battle and the Valom De Havilland Flamingo were the only purchases planned.

51859484616_acc93a75a7_b.jpg

Of course, the best laid plans… this venerable box was donated by a fellow BMer. There’s been a rash of yellow-bellied builds of this kit in the Matchbox Classic GB, and mine will follow in their footsteps - eventually.

51859484601_ca0ccda741_b.jpg

A hangover from the Heller Classic GB, I’d added this little kit to my Hannants wish list some time ago. It sort of fell into the basket along with some other odds and ends to make it worth the cost of postage. I’m slowly adding to my Axis trainers of 1940 collection with it.

51859568293_cba3f908fb_b.jpg

Finally, the Valom Flamingo, the first of the "officially planned" purchases. I hear there’s an impending Fairey Albacore out there, too, so that’s blown the plans totally out of the water!

• Like 11

Some wolves in sheep's clothing, all 1/144 scale.

Draw Decals' markings for "Little Nugget", an F6F racer owned by Alaska Airline's CEO around 1970. This will be interesting as it has gold metallic markings.

Draw Decals' markings for Alaska Airlines Golden Nugget C-130

Minicraft C-130 bagged kit, sold by Draw Decals.

"Wolves in Sheep's Clothing" could be a good GB...:hmmm:

• Like 2

A ton of car bits arrived today after waiting since October!

The caveat being that all of these were all pre-order or out of stock so I was at the mercy of the manufacturers. 

This ought to see me through the next several rivet counting builds!

spacer.png

• Like 3

From Airfix

2022 Airfix Club Membership Pack including ‘First To Last' 1/72 BAe Hawk kit double pack.

From Sparkit

1/48 Mirage IVA/P Wheel Set , 3D-Printed flattened and bulged wheels with separate hubs and brake drums for the mainwheels , fantastic quality and excellent service.

From Our Local Tesco

Availability of Key Publication ‘Specials’ tends to be a bit hit or more usually miss but the two of the latest releases turned up in the past week.

V Bombers , Valiant Victor Vulcan , Britain’s Nuclear Shield

F/A-18 Hornet , The Real Star Of Top Gun , America’s Multi-Role Naval Jet

From Postscript Books

Ordered a few books for different family members and got these for myself at under half RRP.

The British Aerospace Hawk – A Photographic Tribute , by Michael Leek , published 2014 by Pen & Sword

Russian Airliners – Outside Russia , by Dimitry Komissarov and Yefin Gordon , publish 2007 by Midland

Handley Page Herald Timelines , by Matt Falcus , published 2015 by Destinworld Publishing Ltd.

From Tornado Bookshop

The Modeller’s Guide to Aircraft Finnish & Markings #002 – Republic F-105 Thunderchief – The ‘Thud’ in Service with the U.S. Air Force – 1958 to 1984, by Patrick Martin , published 2021 by Double Ugly Books , An excellent book on the F-105 , well-illustrated with over 200 sharp and clear colour images (single-seaters in a slight majority) with many reproduced one to a full landscape page , nine pages of similar quality good sized ‘noseart’ images (two-thirds ANG/AFRES).     

For myself this is welcome addition to my groaning ‘Thud’ bookshelf but with an RRP  just short of £30 I would caution that it is perhaps ‘A’ rather than ‘THE’ Modeller’s Guide to Aircraft Finnish & Markings.    Many images of aircraft in the different schemes from natural metal to post-Vietnam wrap-round variations are covered but no mention of the ‘mirror’ scheme in which a proportion were painted when camouflage was introduced and the single image showing this describes that particular aircraft’s paint scheme  as ‘irregular’.     One very clear well-known image (not that there are very many to choose from especially of that quality) of a ‘Ryans Raider’ twin-seater but no mention in the caption that it carries a wraparound scheme or that the green on the lower surfaces is one of the SAC B-52 shades instead of the standard camouflage greens.      Full colour single side to a page four-view artwork but only for single examples of one 1967 Vietnam-era SEA camouflaged and one 1982 post-Vietnam wrapround SEA camouflaged aircraft.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2022 at 4:43 PM, Mark Harmsworth said:

Wr27GB8h.jpg

This is the HK Models 1:32 Lancaster Nose Art kit which I had on backorder at Hannants for a while and have just bought with the help of a Hannants gift voucher from my youngest daughter.

I also got an instrument panel upgrade from Airscale, 3D printed seat belt decals from Kits World and canopy masks from Eduard.

For those that might not know this is a kit of the fuselage of the Lanc forward of the wings which sits on a frame as if in a museum. I was inspired to get this having seen a build by @Pagey.

I think this is a brilliant idea and it'll make an unusual addition to the cabinet (when I eventually get round to building it - at the moment I'm just enjoying the deferred gratification).

Mark

It is a lovely kit. All the best with it Mark

• Thanks 1

Ordered last weekend. Airfix armour mystery box. Was half price at £75  With club discount of £7.50. so three kits for £67.50. I added up how much it would cost to buy separately and it comes to £125 on the Airfix site. You don't know which kits you will get but as my stash is mainly aircraft, I was not worried. My son really wanted a hetzer and I was hoping for a tiger, so we were both pleased

IMG20220202175018

• Like 4