What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

Thanks.  It's not too bad, just sore muscles and a mild fever for me and the occasional stuffed nose.. 
As a consolation/commiseration, took the liberty of ordering some mask sets and the Mikro-Mir Swallow since it's back in:

183731_0.jpg

• Like 3

Screenshot-2022-07-11-at-23-03-35.png

Bought this, this evening, at a great price. I had one just about built last year but it fell and broke, if I remember rightly the landing gear is a nightmare, I'll have to 'engineer' that on this one so it all fits correctly, gonna paint it and mark it in USAAF markings.

The 9th Troop Carrier Command had about 300 of these, they assembled and maintained them for D-Day, and flew them along side the WACO CG4-A gliders of their own, I already have the CG4-A in my collection. They used to come in a collection of crates from the docks at Liverpool and they had teams of guys who built them, they even used the crates to make accommodation for themselves! The AS-51 Horsa was a British design by Airspeed but used by many of the allies. It came as a collection of parts and assemblies to be put together.

Looking forward to adding this to my ever growing collection (once built of course).

I have been researching the Ikea cabinet I bought and found that they dont sell extra shelves for them; so I have ordered some perspex stands for some of my diecast models to make space and I have found a way to elevate some of the large ones I build onto perspex risers/bridges. 4" is the depth of these and this easily accommodates the width of the landing gear and wheels of a B-17, so these can be lifted up to get other models under them. I'm wanting to make my B-24D next and I have been quite concerned about space in the cabinet for them, now I've found a way I can get back into building and painting again, I have still been very interested in modelling even though I haven't actually done anything for 3 or so weeks.

I have the B-24D, C-46, the Horsa, the B-25 (which is still on the table) and a Beaufighter (to be a USAAF night-fighter), and then some smaller ones all to build yet.

• Like 2

My next 'latest acquisitions' I bought in June while I was in Norfolk, I intend to make my B-24D in the not too distant, and I have decided to make it a plane from the 93rd Bg based at Hardwick, I know that they flew to Benghazi and flew the mission from there but at home with the 8th USAAF they were based at Hardwick. I visited Hardwick for their open day on the 19th of June and got talking to lots of nice people there, and I have been a member of their Facebook group for a few mumphs now, I thought it would be good to build it as one of the aircraft that took part in Operation Tidalwave; the Bombing of Ploesti's oilfields. The only one I could get decals for was "Hells Wench", but that'll do for me! Posumwerks make these and while I was in Norfolk I took a trip to Lowestoft and visited Hannants, which was where I bought the decals from.

IMG-0855.jpg

IMG-0856.jpg

IMG-0857.jpg

IMG-0858.jpg

IMG-0859.jpg

IMG-0860.jpg

While I was at Hannants I also bought Caracal decals for the C-46, I bought my kit a few weeks back online and mine is an old Williams Brothers kit, with the option of rubber tyres; the moulded ones have the built in 'bulge' so I think I'll go for those instead. These were released quite recently and as my model kit only comes in two silver examples I preferred the green and grey one for my collection; I'll make mine the "Operation Varsity" example.

I will have a number of decal choices remaining as these decals have 14 different sets of markings; if anyone is thinking of buying a C-46 kit then do please get in touch and we can work something out!

0-E4410-C4-7-BF3-41-E2-A89-D-0-AF033-B7-

2-CD2-F665-581-B-44-B4-BD39-B72-FCBB0423

C13590-A3-D5-AE-4-C77-8543-7525620677-B2

D28-F4802-4927-4996-BF9-E-FF4-E02-C545-F

DB2-C5857-E2-ED-42-D0-B733-A0271-A326-E4

F61-A34-AB-C431-4-FD2-90-AD-C03-C67-C6-C

FC9-ABFE6-A8-E3-4-DD9-82-C9-BB2-AC55218-

• Like 3

On 10/07/2022 at 22:13, alt-92 said:

Thanks.  It's not too bad, just sore muscles and a mild fever for me and the occasional stuffed nose.. 
As a consolation/commiseration, took the liberty of ordering some mask sets and the Mikro-Mir Swallow since it's back in:

183731_0.jpg

This was tested by a few people at de Havilland's including John Derry, he took over the DH-110 project, (became the Sea Vixen) which eventually killed him. I have the book about him.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

@alt-92, I feel your pain.  I had it in January and have just acquired it for the second time.  Stupid lurgy, mumble mumble.

I've left a 1 star Yelp review and will try to not become a repeat customer. 

Still, I might have to chance it because I just ordered my Duxford BoB Airshow tickets for September. Fingers crossed!

• Haha 2

Bought the latest (to us) SAM Feb issue, enjoyed Gary hatchers editorial, plugging the advantages of subs vs newsagents. I've used our local shop for decades & will continue to support them & you never know what else I might find at the same time, a Key Publishing Aviation Archive Coastal Command U-boat hunters 1939-45 found ints way intothe bag as well. :) A couple of purchases from Kiwi sellers also made it through the cordon this week, A Tamiya Porsche 911 GT.1 with its amazing graphics & an Academy (latest) F-14a, often as cheap to buy local now than overseas sellers with the elevated shipping rates that they're having to charge.

Steve.

• Like 1

All the talk of big Lancasters coincided with a very good deal - a HKM Grand Slam is currently occupying space on a truck heading my way. I have a few in different scales but not a Grand Slam. And I might actually build it (I’m not sure I really could’ve done the Border one)

• Like 2

Had these 2 turn up recently;

52218099220_d45412fd7e_z.jpg20220715_082939 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

52181487791_e7cc046b95_z.jpg20220629_123133 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Never done a ship build before, but always fancied doing some of the Matchbox ship kits. Might even do a dual build thread when I get round to them.

• Like 6

An envelope from Spot Models containing some ciggy makers logos to replace the Racing decals on the Nunu Rally of Oman Porsche I got a while back. In the interests of historical accuracy of course. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

Something for the F-5 GB!
Pre-ordered ex ESCI NF-5s delivered. 

Ex-Platz T-33, and the AMG Hawker Hart all from AMS

Lichtenstein FuG 202/BC-1 radar for the Ju-88, and various decal sheets from Hannant's.

y4mSjCoqU1NHTi1l2D468IW5owUVMTsmEQC9603G

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Something for the F-5 GB!
Pre-ordered ex ESCI NF-5s delivered. 

Ex-Platz T-33, and the AMG Hawker Hart all from AMS

Lichtenstein FuG 202/BC-1 radar for the Ju-88, and various decal sheets from Hannant's.

y4mSjCoqU1NHTi1l2D468IW5owUVMTsmEQC9603G

Now that sir is what I call a good purchase. 

• Haha 1

Some more newly released reading matter.

From The Aviation Historian

Subscription renewed for another year and The Aviation Historian Issue 40 received earlier this week , usual wide ranging selection of articles including a very interesting report on a proposed Falklands Conflict Buccaneer raid on Argentine Navy capital ships in or near their home ports , suggested Vulcan raids on mainland targets to follow in next issue.

From Books etc.

SAC In The 1980s , by Adrian Symonds , pre-ordered latest release by Amberley Publishing.

From local Tesco

Latest Key Publications Bookazine releases.

Boeing B-52H Stratofortress – The H Model And Nothing But!

Helicopter Gunships At War – Plus Gunships: Past, Present And Future

• Like 2

Whilst rummaging through my workshop last night, I came across some finished artwork for a Baldwin Burns Buzzaround fuzz pedal clone. It reminded me that I had built a circuit for one some time ago, but never got around to completing the pedal. I wired it up this afternoon, hooked it up to my test rig and it worked. 
 The Buzzaround is one of my favourite fuzz pedals. It’s a tricky one to get sounding right, as the third of the three germanium transistors needs to be in a certain, rather narrow gain range and be very leaky. It just so happened that I had fitted one that was right on the money. Some pedal manufacturers will imbue certain components with an air of mystery and mojo. The truth is that the job of selecting the right components involves hours of tedious work, measuring and labelling critical components so you can select the right ones when need be. It’s not magic, and I kinda get fed up with some of the rubbish that gets spouted in the name of selling pedals!
Anyway, this Buzzaround sounded spot-on. I’m hoping that I have time to finish it before everything has to be packed away for the house move. I’m just not sure anything will happen over the next couple of days though, as they’re predicting 39°-40°c.

edit: I forgot to mention that my Buzzarounds have an added passive volume control. The original had a control labelled Balance that only kinda works as a volume control. It actually sets the bias voltage for the third transistor. On some settings, the volume is really too loud to be of use, so the volume control helps to keep things under control.

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 3

A couple of Mosquitos from eBay. First was an Airfix B.XVI(ish) that had the lowest buy it now price I’ve seen for a while. The other was a Tamiya NF.II/FB.VI from Fields Of Glory (FOG) Models’s eBay shop. They had the lowest price anyway (under £18 posted) but with a 20% off voucher, it was too good to pass up. It’s one of my favourite kits too.

1/72, naturally!

• Like 7

Mrs T is away with our daughter for a few days. She was feeling a bit guilty about me not going, and so she said are the going to go to Halifax? Well who am to refuse such a suggestion. By coincidence, Dave had emailed me to say a couple of kits I had ordered were in

I am now the proud possessor of an AMP Canberra B.2. It looks to be based on the Mikro Mir T17 rather than the S&M original B.2. It has the original S&M decal sheet, but the quality looks better. Also as  treat and something a bit different, the AMP Boeing X20 DynaSoar. Looks OK.

Also through the post a new Swann Morton No7 scalpel handle to replace one I have mislaid, and a new needle for my Iwata Neo. 

• Like 5

y4mRBrHHlDzBLdi9W8iAu-3tK-VmP7UaorDAJJh9

Somewhere in that DK Decal sheet is a Hawaii MU B-17E with their non-standard disruptive camo. 
Several mask sets, and some extras.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Looks like a pizza box.

Chris

It may well be, but that’s not what came in it!  A clue: a short-run kit made for / by a UK supplier who only make two kits, both of the same jet aircraft. For some reason this one was on sale because the box has no label.