What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

Found a Fortress III kit for 25€ so plenty room to spare for the appropriate 100 Group Resin bits from BlackbirdModels.

Big PE set for Kinetic's  F-104S, and the Aoshima N1K-1.  It comes with scaffolding, so wheels up it will be :P

y4mxo8ySNOaxlTtbXC_O3SBDapMluRCvtig5-5yJ

• Like 8

20220423_085907

Spotted during a spur-of-the-moment detour to that rarest of things, a dedicated model shop (Porthmadog Models). Still in its cellophane wrapper and lurking on a top shelf just waiting for me to find it. "A blast from the past!", said the friendly lady at the till - quite!

It cost me a tenner, which is a bit more than the 75p that I remember a younger version of me paying for Matchbox kits in Boots! I also picked up some paints, tape and filler, so while it was a very modest purchase by modern modelling standards I'm pleased to have done my bit to support a fantastic shop.

Jon

• Like 9

Some catching up with books , decals and a paint emergency.

From Hannants

Ordered when they appeared in ‘New Arrivals’ last week.

AOA Decals 48-019 1/48 Black Ponies , Shamrocks & Jarhead – USN/USMC North American/Rockwell OV-10A Broncos in the Vietnam War Era , wide selection of decals for 24 options for VAL-4 , VS-41 , VMO-2 and VMO-6 plus a separate Airframe Data & Markings sheet.

AOA Decals 48-021 1/48 Airframe Data & Markings – USN/USMC/USAF OV-10A Bronco Markings , the Data Sheet from the above as a separate purchase

From Guideline Publications

Some more Warpaints in lieu for recent work which takes my collection up to 117 of the current 132 in the series.

No.19 DH Hornet by Tony Butler ; No.24 Dornier Do217 by Jerry Scutts ; No.26 Bristol Blenheim by Andrew Thomas ; No.33 Heinkel He177 by Kev Darling ; No.50 Bristol Beaufort by Tony Butler ; No.52 Fairey Albacore by William Harrison ; No.68 Bristol Brigand by Tony Butler ; No.69 Martin B-26 Marauder by Kev Darling ; No.102 Convair B-36 Peacemaker by Kev Darling ; No.115 AW Albemarle by Tony Butler ; No.116 NAA B-45 Tornado by Kev Darling and finally this time the latest release No.132 Boeing B52A/F Stratofortress by Kev Darling

From Jumblies

A few Revell Aqua Color paints , went to actually do some modelling earlier in the week and discovered that the paint I wanted wasn’t there (or at least wasn’t where I thought it should be) so ordered it and a few more while I was at it for next day delivery , postage niggled a bit but with the nearest potential stockist a 30 mile round trip (and no guarantee it would be in stock) probably worked out cheaper.

From Amazon

Lockheed Constellation Illustrated by Lou Drendell , published by Amazon and released this week as the latest in the series and split roughly 50:50 between civil and military coverage.

From Key Publications

Fairey Firefly – Historic Military Aircraft Series Volume 1 , by David Willis , published 2020 by Key Publications.

British Phantoms – The F-4 In UK Service – Souvenir 30th. Anniversary Issue , well worth the getting if you do not already have it but sales blurb describing it as ‘brought up-to-date’ ‘new’ edition of the original 2017 bookazine release perhaps a bit optimistic , have not compared word-for-word for any textual changes but with page layout/image content/headings & sub-headings exactly the same I do not imagine there are too many , most obvious differences are redesigned covers and new adverts for current Key products.

• Like 2

Could not resist this one. the reviews all say it is a superior kit.

spacer.png

And as I am also partial to Japanese subjects and Hasegawa kits this one had to purchased as well.

spacer.png

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 7

I'm very excited having just ordered one of these:

y4m5ZM05e7OxPr_6ZP8ivjf0C9GxRgQcIYHQMdlp

Which might end up something like this:

y4mphAPmIwNba6YNJWNZPOX5HJd5JUwsLgf_5D5X

But with sails I think, and smaller blocks.

Considering I'm only a quarter of the way through my first and simple wooden boat, this will be something of a challenge!

• Like 7

A bunch of old enamels arrived today and two of the Airfix ones are write-offs. The M23 Golden Brown is actually just a random, mixed dark brown in an M23 tin and the M1 Brick Red's pigment is a solid, rock-hard lump at the bottom of the tin. Considering the seller had supposedly checked the paints, I'm not best pleased. I now need eight colours to complete my collection. In my experience, Airfix paint survives very well and these are the first two I have come across that didn't, which makes me suspect the entire lot he was selling may be duff.

At least the Humbrol Authentics were ok. I got three out of the five Swedish colours and these almost never come up.

I made a cheeky, low bid on a second-hand Zvezda 1/72 Ka-27 on eBay and was successful. I have a mind to do it as the HeliSwiss Ka-32 that I have seen fly over my house a couple of times. When you hear that coming, it certainly grabs your attention.

• Like 2

Moson 2022 is over, the first show I attended for two years. Of course, that meant: Shopping time!

First, some upgrade sets of Ukraine origin, which are hard to get now:

moson_2022_0114k2o.jpg

Then, for the same Ka-50 some decals and some markings I was still missing to do current Russian subjects (although I won't do one in the foreseeable future).

moson_2022_03wojxq.jpg

Then some resin stuff which is done by a local Hungarian modeller. He is exclusively doing kits and conversions with a link to Hungarian aviation.

moson_2022_024pj43.jpg

And finally some upgrade sets from AWC Models for the Monogram Mi-24 and Hobbyboss Su-17. The Reskit Mi-8 wheels went into the Basket out of curiosity, as there is no kit for them currently (except for a full Resin kit...by AWC). The owner of AWC sold off the last three Mi-8 kits he had in stock there. According to him, they are just too expensive (€180) so he decided to only do them on special order in the future. At the end of Day 1 he had only two left and offered one to me for €100, then finally for €80. It really hurt me to let this offer go but my modelling budget was used up 😢

Still, I have a 3D printed Mi-17V-5 on order (another reason I bought the wheels) which will help to overcome my grief.

moson_2022_04d0jj9.jpg

Cheers

Markus

• Like 3

On 26/04/2022 at 21:57, dogsbody said:

Scooped this up, while on a weekend trip down to Edmonton.

52032501309_14e0af18c0_b.jpg

Chris

Going to enter that one in the Pillar Of Fire GB?!

3 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Going to enter that one in the Pillar Of Fire GB?!

No. I don't even know when I might start it. For now, it will be put into the stash.

46794751411_11673b7113_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

No. I don't even know when I might start it. For now, it will be put into the stash.

46794751411_11673b7113_c.jpg

Chris

You mean you don't build them all immediately?!

• Haha 2

David Irving's biography of Erhard Milch. It's a crime against historiography that the "best" biography of Milch is by this vile man, whose scholarship can never be entirely trusted. 

also

Matthew Cooper's book on The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe. I love a happy ending.

• Like 3

80p on an Amazon prime video membership by accident, I use it as part of a family package and the account holder changed their password and didn't tell me, TV chucked me out and when I next went to stream prompted and to login so I did and the Amazon signed me up for a "free" trail, no biggie just cancel before the 14 days are I thought, well sneakily they charged my after 2 and was unable to get a full refund as I had streamed a few hours of vids. 

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

David Irving's biography of Erhard Milch. It's a crime against historiography that the "best" biography of Milch is by this vile man, whose scholarship can never be entirely trusted. 

also

Matthew Cooper's book on The Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe. I love a happy ending.

I rather enjoyed his book "The Mares Nest" but at that time I didnt know much about him!

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

80p on an Amazon prime video membership by accident, I use it as part of a family package and the account holder changed their password and didn't tell me, TV chucked me out and when I next went to stream prompted and to login so I did and the Amazon signed me up for a "free" trail, no biggie just cancel before the 14 days are I thought, well sneakily they charged my after 2 and was unable to get a full refund as I had streamed a few hours of vids. 

No wonder they call it Scamazon!🤨

• Haha 2

Bought as new from The Aviation Bookshop

After searching out a couple of quite costly Ad Hoc Publications ‘From The Cockpit’ Series recently thought it might be a good idea to get ahead of the game and buy some of the titles still available at more reasonable prices before they too become like hen’s teeth - Buccaneer and Wattisham at £10 each , Hunter £15.

From The Cockpit 6 – Buccaneer S.1 , by Michael J. Doust , published 2007.

From The Cockpit 11 – Hunter , by Mac McEwen , published 2009.

RAF Wattisham - A Pictorial History , by Dave Eade , published 2008 , WWII to current AAC via post-war Meteors , Hunters , Javelins , Lightnings and Phantoms with a dash of Sea King.

Also a couple of the heavyweight Harpia Publishing series currently offered at ‘bargain’ prices , £5 each for 250’ish glossy well-illustrated pages at the cost of some (and less than other) monthly aviation magazines.

Modern Israeli Air Power - Aircraft and Units of the Israeli Air Force , by Thomas Newdick and Ofer Zidon , published 2013.

Modern Chinese Warplanes - Combat Aircraft And Units Of The Chinese Air Force And Naval Aviation , Andreas Rupprecht and Tom Cooper , published 2012.

And finally another ‘bargain book’ because I do like the F/RF-84F.

Republic RF-84F Thunderflash In Dienst Bij De Belgische Luchtmacht - Vliegtuigen Van De Belgische Luchtmacht (aircraft Of The Belgian Air Force - in service with the Belgian Air Force) ) No.3 , by Daniel Brackx , published 2011 by Flash Aviation Shop , Dutch language throughout but plenty of colour/b&w photos , detail shots and colour artwork.

From Aero Research

Latest release this week as a PDF Download , Gooney Birds Part 4 , 153 images.

Bought second-hand via eBay (bdart.fan located in France)

Navy Air Colours – USN, USMC & USCG Aircraft Camouflage and Markings Volume 2 1945-1985 , by Thomas E. Doll , Berkley R. Jackson , William A. Riley , published 1985 by Squadron Signal , typically well-illustrated with colour/b&w photos and unique artwork throughout.

Two issues of Avions Blindés Maquettes Magazine Hors Série very heavily illustrated French language photo reports.

March 1992 issue - Opération Daguet , French military aviation involvement in the build-up to and combat operations during the 1991 Gulf War

December 1992 issue - Dernier Atterrissage; Les derniers jours de la puissance aérienne de RDA , end of East German/start of Unified German service of the Mig-21/23/29 and Su-22.

• Like 2

On 26/04/2022 at 21:57, dogsbody said:

Scooped this up, while on a weekend trip down to Edmonton.

52032501309_14e0af18c0_b.jpg

Chris

I saw this picture and it quite surprised me, as my 1/72 Clear Prop Gloster E28/39 has quite different box art;

IMG_0949[1]

But then I noticed your box is marked starter and mine's marked expert.

We have the wrong kits,, mate; I should have yours and  you should have mine !!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2