What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

52 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

A Fujimi 1/72 MiG-21SMT off eBay. The "Buy It Now" price was probably as low as I'm likely to see, plus I I had noticed that it was attracting a few watchers. I know the Fujimi Balalaikas are not without their faults, but I ran out of breath waiting for Eduard to release theirs, and I really wanted an SMT.

If Eduard do release an SMT soon, you know who to thank.

The SMT is my favourite MiG-21, because it looks the dumbest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An Xtradecal sheet of 1/72 Type D and low-visibility roundels. It’s the original release that had separate centres. Xtradecal aren’t exactly renowned for printing their roundels in register, so I’m pleased to have got these.

I also bought a few parts (pickup foam and some brass sheet) for my friend’s 1963 Fender Jaguar. I’m going to be rebuilding it for him. It had been poorly refreshed in dark blue and had some DiMarzio humbucking pickups fitted. My mate managed to remove the dark blue paint, revealing the gorgeous Lake Placid Blue finish which has yellowed with age to a deep turquoise. The pickup cavities have been filled and re-routed and now it’s my job to put it all back together again.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

An Xtradecal sheet of 1/72 Type D and low-visibility roundels. It’s the original release that had separate centres. Xtradecal aren’t exactly renowned for printing their roundels in register, so I’m pleased to have got these.

I also bought a few parts (pickup foam and some brass sheet) for my friend’s 1963 Fender Jaguar. I’m going to be rebuilding it for him. It had been poorly refreshed in dark blue and had some DiMarzio humbucking pickups fitted. My mate managed to remove the dark blue paint, revealing the gorgeous Lake Placid Blue finish which has yellowed with age to a deep turquoise. The pickup cavities have been filled and re-routed and now it’s my job to put it all back together again.

That's a fantastic job to be given - what pervert put DM humbuckers in that?!

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

That's a fantastic job to be given - what pervert put DM humbuckers in that?!

I assume it was my friend, when he was much younger. Blame Kurt Cobain! Apparently his dad bought the guitar from the original owner in the early seventies for £25. 

• Like 1

Just scored a Tasca Firefly Vc on t'interweb for a decent price. Been fancying one for a while so thought why not. Think i've now managed to aquire most of the British variants 🤔 Now i just need to get some built! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

A Hobby2000 Avenger TBM from Jadarhobby in Poland, the kit has decals for a Suez machine from HMS Bulwark. I think it was their last one, they seem to be OOS most other places & it was one I been "meaning" to get for some time. Price including post was surprisingly reasonable. :)

Steve 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

A Hobby2000 Avenger TBM from Jadarhobby in Poland, the kit has decals for a Suez machine from HMS Bulwark. I think it was their last one, they seem to be OOS most other places & it was one I been "meaning" to get for some time. Price including post was surprisingly reasonable. :)

Steve 

Steve,

I bought one of those from Frome Models shop at Telford last November. I'm assuming yours is the 1/72?

• Like 1

Didn't hear the postman knock, so consequently a 1:72 Airfix Mosquito narrowly escaped from

Customs & Exercise* when she returned from her walkies and spotted an intruder parcel by the door....

* the dog

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

Steve,

I bought one of those from Frome Models shop at Telford last November. I'm assuming yours is the 1/72?

That's right, a reboxing of the Hasegawa kit, I'd been looking for the original Hasegawa boxing with Suez markings for years & hadn't realised till recently that this boxing had them. Post from Poland was less than from the UK recently too, it all helps. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

I bought the Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-4 recently to increase the number of prop jobs I have in my collection. Right now it's predominantly jets and though I like jets, I'd like to see some balance. I recently finished the Tamiya A-1H so that helps.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

I bought the Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-4 recently to increase the number of prop jobs I have in my collection. Right now it's predominantly jets and though I like jets, I'd like to see some balance. I recently finished the Tamiya A-1H so that helps.

Its an older mold but fairly accurate. If you need info let me know. 

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That's right, a reboxing of the Hasegawa kit, I'd been looking for the original Hasegawa boxing with Suez markings for years & hadn't realised till recently that this boxing had them. Post from Poland was less than from the UK recently too, it all helps. :)

Steve.

Sounds like a good deal!

• Like 1

I was perusing eBay, as one does, whereupon I stumbled across a Brengun Typhoon Ia for the paltry sum of just over ten of Her Majesty’s Pounds, including the carriage of said item toy humble abode. Wide eyed, my trembling hands fumbled towards the board of keys. Would I be in time, or would I be beaten to it by an accursed knave? Dear reader, I was victorious!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I was perusing eBay, as one does, whereupon I stumbled across a Brengun Typhoon Ia for the paltry sum of just over ten of Her Majesty’s Pounds, including the carriage of said item toy humble abode. Wide eyed, my trembling hands fumbled towards the board of keys. Would I be in time, or would I be beaten to it by an accursed knave? Dear reader, I was victorious!

I'm extremely fond of them, despite the kit's eccentricities.

5 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I'm extremely fond of them, despite the kit's eccentricities.

I understood that the kit was not without its foibles, but it’s one I needed for my East Anglian collection and was a very good price. I had been considering pulling the trigger at over £16, but I’m glad that my patience was rewarded.

Am I right in thinking that the canopy needs replacing with the vacform offering?

4 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I understood that the kit was not without its foibles, but it’s one I needed for my East Anglian collection and was a very good price. I had been considering pulling the trigger at over £16, but I’m glad that my patience was rewarded.

Am I right in thinking that the canopy needs replacing with the vacform offering?

If you have a car door version, yes. The kit offering is effectively unusable and borders on a crime against humanity. The sliding hood, however, is quite nice and perfectly serviceable. If you're modelling an aircraft with fishtails, be advised that you'll either need to fabricate your own somehow, or purchase the Brengun PE set, which thoughtfully includes them therein.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Procopius said:

If you have a car door version, yes. The kit offering is effectively unusable and borders on a crime against humanity

Drat. Alternatives, RobTaurus or Squadron?

6 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Drat. Alternatives, RobTaurus or Squadron?

Brengun very helpfully make a vacform car door canopy which is as excellent as their injection-molded one is bad.

• Thanks 1