What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I think that's mostly due to the standard box sizes H2K use - it's the same size as the F-111 & F-4, or the 1/48 P-40. 
The sprues are too wide for the slimmer 1/72 hasegawa-style ones (I checked :P

Thanks for that.

Well I suppose it's a good idea to have a standard box size, for cost purposes etc., but I was expecting something like the Gecko Scimitar, just about to burst open from the masses of sprues inside !

• Like 1

Amazon sent me a 5 of 15 quid voucher this morning, sneakily said it was for the first 10000 customers so felt a bit under pressure to find something, in the end as not really any kits I really want grabbed another Herpa snap fit for my collection, this time a Qatar 787-8 edit: missed the italeri c-130h for couple of quid more, probably would  have gone for that instead 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

A HK 1/32 Mosquito B.MK IX/XVI for the ridiculous price of $117 AUD delivered to one’s door. A AMP Canberra B.2 from Ukraine and a Fine Molds F-4EJ Kai From Japan. Which was the wrong one - I meant to get a F-4EJ. And from Aussie stores, a Fine Molds F-4j & F-4C, Hobbyboss Tiger HAP, A Model DH.60X, KP Major Hawk, SH Meteor NF.11, a clutch of Airfix Beauforts (and HPM Aussie conversions), GWH F-14D. And a sprinkling of decals, etch and resin. 

Man, I feel like I’m in therapy, admitting I may have a bit of a problem buying stuff. But it’s so hard to resist a bargain (or a really nice kit).

And 2 Eduard Hurrihistories and 2 KP PA-25’s. Hmmmm maybe I do have a problem. 

Edited by Cammer625
Forgot what else I’d bought
  • Like 4

Via ebay... 2 more Sherman kits to add to the 'collection'

Sherman III Mid Production Sicily

Sherman Ic Firefly (Welded Hull)

Think the Ic will be done as a standard 75mm gun tank as i've got a few spare turrets in the spares box.

Only one i need to complete the 'British' Sherman collection is the Ic Compsite which seems to always go for silly money! 

Regards,

Steve

• Like 4

On 10/24/2022 at 9:30 PM, Cammer625 said:

maybe I do have a problem. 

First step in rehabilitation and correction is to admit you have a problem. Second step is to seek help... So time to sell off the stash🤔

• Haha 2

Norman Friedman's British Submarines in the Cold War Era (which makes me feel impossibly old -- as a boy I used to check out the library's copy of Jane's Fighting Ships 1986 -- their most recent edition -- and lug it home on my bike to imagine the apocalyptic second, infinitely more decisive, Jutland). It has this fascinating aside on NATO's plans to storm the Soviet SSBN bastions in a general war:

AL9nZEWbgVRnylYZHO1rg9jtBG6_Tj9THSYARZK2

Also, Mikro Mir's 1/350 HMS Resolution, my favourite warship name (along with, for radically different reasons, the armed trawler HMS Morris Dance). I'm always interested in doing ship models, but I lack the courage, skill, or time to do them. A submarine is effectively a big black rod...wait, no, this isn't sounding good at all. Anyway, it seems easy to build in a theoretical sense.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

In the process of building my ancient Revell F4F in the Revell-Monogram Classic GB, I became concerned that the decals weren't for a particular aircraft. They're very similar to the ones for Lt E McCuskey on USS Yorktown shortly before the battle of Midway, but were lacking the ID markings, in his case F-2, so I went into a frenzy of F4F-4 kit buying, 2 x  Airfix & 1 x Hobby Boss, initially it was meant to be the one Airfix & the HB but turned out I'd ordered the wrong Airfix one from the merchant so a quick googling & I had one of the earlier Airfix boxings on its way & within a few days I had 3 F4F-4 kits I didn't really need. The Torch landing one may well move on as might the Hobby Boss one, maybe. As it turns out, after @AdrianMF's sage advice, it'll be built as a classic kit, lack of ID & all. Sheeesh. :shrug:

Oops, nearly forgot, the RR Heritage book RR and the Mustang showed up yesterday, some decent reading for a change. :) 

Steve.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Only one i need to complete the 'British' Sherman collection is the Ic Compsite which seems to always go for silly money! 

Steve, I think this is another one for your collection - I'm dipping my toe into Sherman world with it.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MMWWV-002

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Are you sure buying it's a good idea,you see one you'll probably buy all of them....

No, I just want a Christmas table feature 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

First the Sherman "Mmmm need a Tiger to go with it" then slowly but surely :whistle:,,,,,

Vince,

Thanks for the warning/advice !

I do have this panther, though .............

SAM_8848

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Acquired a couple of CD's and books today;

Books  first;

SAM_1198

Two more in the 33 1/3series of monographs on a single album. I've had the CD of Faith, by George Michael, for a long time. It may not be in every BMer's CD racks, but it is a cracking album. Along with Listen Witrhout Prejudice Vol 1. Wham did some terrific singles, but Faith demonstrated that George was a lot more than a pop idol. 

Moon Pix by Cat Power is not only an album, but an artiste I'd never heard of before I saw this book listed. The album is on its way from somewhere via Amazon. 

CD's now;

SAM_1197

The latest by Todd is an album of collaborations with people like Adrian Belew, Sparks, Thomas Dolby, Neil Finn, Rick Nielsen, the lemon Twigs and Stevie Vai. Not had a chance to listen to it, but the reviews on the Todd forum I'm on are more than favourable.

I've been a fan of Todd Rundgren since 1972, and I can truthfully say that I think he is one of music's genii - up there with Dylan, Brian Wilson, Prince, John Lennon, Hendrix, and yes, Townshend too.

The sadness for me is that so few British people know of him, let alone like his music. He's best known in Britain I think as the producer of Bat out of Hell, but I'm pretty sure that most people who know his name from that don't know about his solo and band work.

Kasim Sultan's latest CD, 2021; now I am sure that many looking at this will be saying who? But Kasim is a brilliant bass player, singer, songwriter, and has been Todd Rundgren's bass player and band mate since around 1975.  

When not playing in Todd's band, he spent many years as Meat loaf's musical director, as well as fronting his own small beat combo. 

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 3

A 1/32 Lukgraph BE2e/f arrived today. A quick snatched look while working showed a very sturdy plain box with a light cardboard top and contents well packed. WNW style instructions so that augurs well. I’ve not unpacked the parts for a proper look which will need to wait for the weekend but first impressions are looking good 

I’m still waiting on a manufacturer to produce a shake and spray on aerosol that blows on perfect rigging :D

• Like 3

Today was a rainy, rainy day. What better to do than tootle off to the local supplier for a chat about modelling and the state of humanity? And look what I found on the shelf. I'm tempted to model one I saw at the very end of its service if I can find someone to make the tail decals. I watched F.8656 arrive at Harry Hawker (Moorabbin) Airport on 18 February 1967 to join the museum collection. I was a very young volunteer with Australian Aircraft Restoration Group at the time and very excited at the sight and sound of this aircraft. Terry Brain of Brain and Brown Airfreighters was the pilot. Now in the USA (curses!) tail number N518WB flies out of Del Mar California. No wonder I couldn't find it when I visited Moorabbin Air Museum a couple of years back.

Special-Hobby-Firefly-box-contents.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

Now in the USA (curses!) tail number N518WB flies out of Del Mar California. No wonder I couldn't find it when I visited Moorabbin Air Museum a couple of years back.

My apologies we seem to do that a lot lately ? Considering we never operated the type in our military. Im not quite sure why someone thinks it would have enough mass appeal to warrant it being purchased and shipped to the U.S. ? Canada yes but the U.S., not really understanding that. I think its a case of someone that has too much $ for his own good. That has to have a special toy thats different from everybody else's. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Whofan said:

... I'm pretty sure that most people who know his name from that don't know about his solo and band work.

Todd Rundgren is, well, a wizard and true star.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

With respect, apology not really required, @Corsairfoxfouruncle. But thanks, you're a gent. A little further digging reveals a complex tale...

When I last saw F.8656 in the early 70s, it was languishing outside on the grass at Moorabbin Air Museum under the harsh Aussie sun, perspex fogging, paintwork fading and bird droppings accumulating. It was removed from the museum in 1973, undergoing a long restoration before returning to Australian skies in 1984. It suffered a serious prang 1987 and when restored again, the forward fuselage and wing centre section were replaced with those from another Firefly, F.8646. So if the airframe provenance is based on the identity of the centre section, the aircraft flying out of Del Mar is considered to be F.8646, albeit another RAN Firefly. Up a pole in the back blocks of NSW is where you'll actually find the nose and centre section of F.8656.

So I must apologise for rubbish research (is this apologies at 10 paces?).

Post scripts: i) At least one other Firefly is planned to be restored to flying condition in Aus (F.8654). ii) Other overseas destinations for ex RAN Fireflies; Canada, New Zealand, UK. iii) Same story with our Mustangs and Sea Furies; can't give em away fast enough. iv) Stopped Kermit Weeks getting his greedy mitts on the Moorabbin Beaufighter.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Maginot said:

With respect, apology not really required, @Corsairfoxfouruncle. But thanks, you're a gent. A little further digging reveals a complex tale...

When I last saw F.8656 in the early 70s, it was languishing outside on the grass at Moorabbin Air Museum under the harsh Aussie sun, perspex fogging, paintwork fading and bird droppings accumulating. It was removed from the museum in 1973, undergoing a long restoration before returning to Australian skies in 1984. It suffered a serious prang 1987 and when restored again, the forward fuselage and wing centre section were replaced with those from another Firefly, F.8646. So if the airframe provenance is based on the identity of the centre section, the aircraft flying out of Del Mar is considered to be F.8646, albeit another RAN Firefly. Up a pole in the back blocks of NSW is where you'll actually find the nose and centre section of F.8656.

So I must apologise for rubbish research (is this apologies at 10 paces?).

Post scripts: i) At least one other Firefly is planned to be restored to flying condition in Aus (F.8654). ii) Other overseas destinations for ex RAN Fireflies; Canada, New Zealand, UK.

No apologies needed, I feel the same as we also took the only flying Meteor or Mosquito a few years back. I personally feel that warbirds as rare as some should always remain in their service countries. I also feel that if there are less than three airworthy in the world. That they should only be flown on very special one off occasion's. 

• Like 1

Buoyed up by what certainly seems like a hugely promising kick-off meeting for a $210,000 procurement project I've lead, I decided I needed to be foolish about 1970s RAF jets, and picked up:

2 x Airfix Phantom FGR.2s

1 x Airfix Phantom FG.1

1 x Airfix Buccaneer S.2C

1 x Airfix Buccaneer S.2B

AND! Because I like to pretend I'm not total garbage. a shipping label to send John his Mustangs.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Buoyed up by what certainly seems like a hugely promising kick-off meeting for a $210,000 procurement project I've lead, I decided I needed to be foolish about 1970s RAF jets, and picked up:

2 x Airfix Phantom FGR.2s

1 x Airfix Phantom FG.1

1 x Airfix Buccaneer S.2C

1 x Airfix Buccaneer S.2B

At current Airfix prices that's a fair chunk of $210,000 gone already.  [Edit: Or maybe not at the current dollar-Sterling exchange rate.]

BTW, if you decide to get any more AX Phantoms, consider the Black Mike boxing: it has the frames specific to both the FG.1 and the FGR.2, thus enriching your spares box.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

BTW, if you decide to get any more AX Phantoms, consider the Black Mike boxing: it has the frames specific to both the FG.1 and the FGR.2, thus enriching your spares box.

In fact, the FG.1 I got was indeed Black Mike! I'm going to do an RN FG.1, though.

3 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

At current Airfix prices that's a fair chunk of $210,000 gone already.  [Edit: Or maybe not at the current dollar-Sterling exchange rate.]

I do what I can to rectify the balance of payments for the UK. Every dollar helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2