What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

The last couple of days have seen a packet of decals from Two Bobs arrive in the post, A-10s in Heritage schemes, F-15Es doing maximum Effort & F-16C YGTBSM Wild Weasel with some bonus F-4C schemes from the early days of the Weasels. The Xtrakit Saro SR.A1 kit arrived via MJW Models, thanks guys, & a departure for me & possibly a bad move, a 1/25 AMT Autocar dumper, with plans to mate it, less dump body, with a lowboy & dozer combo. Bad in the sense its is going to be expensive, just at a time I have less to spend & it'll be big, hard to store & harder to hide. Oh well, whats life without challenges. :shrug::D 

Steve.

• Like 7

Picked up three somewhat rare kits (for the US anyway) at the show today. First the XP-55 Ascender which should look nice next to my Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet. Now I only need the XP-54 Swoose Goose to complete the triad.

Next, a surprisingly nice little kit considering its source. Sure, there is no cockpit and the nose section has a operating hinge, but I was quite surprised to see very nicely done engraved panel lines.

delta2

And now for something completely different, and quite a bit outside my wheelhouse - Jimmy Clark's 1963 Indy 500 Lotus:

lotus

I built that last kit several times during my misspent youth. Let's see if I can recreate the era and aura.

Anyway, they didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Just a leg and a few fingers.     :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

First the XP-55 Ascender which should look nice next to my Northrop XP-56 Black Bullet. Now I only need the XP-54 Swoose Goose to complete the triad.

Nice I love the trio of designs. Ive been up close to one of the XP-55’s in Kalamazoo Mi. Its on loan to the Air Zoo, if you get a chance not a bad museum to visit. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice I love the trio of designs. Ive been up close to one of the XP-55’s in Kalamazoo Mi. Its on loan to the Air Zoo, if you get a chance not a bad museum to visit. 

I had a nice visit there sometime back in the late 90s or early 00s. Very nice displays. I don't believe the XP-55 was there at the time. If my mind is working correctly, I think I remember seeing the un-restored XP-55 at the old Smithsonian restoration facility in Silver Hill MD, but that was probably in the late 70s or early 80s. Long time ago...

Cheers,

Bill

10 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It was in Kalamzoo last time I was there in 2014. It might have been returned to the Air & Space Museum in Washington ? They were the ones who loaned it out. 

According to Wikipedia, it came to the Air Zoo in 2001 and it's still there on a long-term loan. I looked up the serial number and found that my memory was right - it was at the Garber restoration and storage facility at Silver Hill prior to going to the Air Zoo where it was restored. Only the fuselage was on display at Garber. I also saw Enola Gay there - again, it was only the fuselage, no wings. Pretty sure Garber was closed and everything moved over to Udvar-Hazy, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

A tub of Roses (soon be christmas)....

Funny thing that, we had ..... no, I had a tub of Roses a couple of weeks ago.

Even though I rationed myself to a few per modelling session, they soon ran out!

• Haha 6

On 10/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, Navy Bird said:

According to Wikipedia, it came to the Air Zoo in 2001 and it's still there on a long-term loan. I looked up the serial number and found that my memory was right - it was at the Garber restoration and storage facility at Silver Hill prior to going to the Air Zoo where it was restored. Only the fuselage was on display at Garber. I also saw Enola Gay there - again, it was only the fuselage, no wings. Pretty sure Garber was closed and everything moved over to Udvar-Hazy, but I could be wrong.

Cheers,

Bill

My old boss once texted me -- normally reserved for hair-on-fire emergencies -- while she was on vacation and taking her family to Michigan with a photo of the XP-55 at the Air Zoo. It was unexpected, but not unwelcome.

• Like 5

Just now, Moggy said:

Congratulations Procopius!!

She's beautiful  - The family picture too 🥲

Cheers, Moggy

Thank you, thank you. Ten seconds of pleasure, a lifetime of regret, etc.

• Haha 12

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Thank you, thank you. Ten seconds of pleasure, a lifetime of regret, etc.

I really can't top that but I did get a copy of Michiel Vogelpoel's "434 Turkish Starfighter" book ;)

• Like 3

Having to buy a new rear tyre for our car as some kind person decided to stick a screw in our near side rear!

Heading out shopping earlier this evening, heard a "whump, whump" noise coming from the wheels. Thought that one of the wheels had a flat, which would be strange as we have tyre pressure sensors which would have alerted us. Parked up, got out, and there's a ruddy 2-inch screw sticking out of the tyre 😡🤬 Now going to cost us about £130 for a new one!!!!

• Sad 5

14 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Having to buy a new rear tyre for our car as some kind person decided to stick a screw in our near side rear!

Heading out shopping earlier this evening, heard a "whump, whump" noise coming from the wheels. Thought that one of the wheels had a flat, which would be strange as we have tyre pressure sensors which would have alerted us. Parked up, got out, and there's a ruddy 2-inch screw sticking out of the tyre 😡🤬 Now going to cost us about £130 for a new one!!!!

Can it not be repaired?  If it's in the tread there's a good chance you wouldn't need to replace it.

17 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Can it not be repaired?  If it's in the tread there's a good chance you wouldn't need to replace it.

We've had the AA out (thankfully one of the perks on the wifes bank account - AA membership!) When checking it was found to be on the very edge of the tread pattern. If it had been picked up in the road, I would have expected it to be more centralised.

They have repaired it, but we are now limited to 50mph for 100miles... Tyre still needs to be looked at and checked. Milton Keynes is built on a grid system of national speed limit roads, some are standard carriage ways@ 60mph, quite a few are double carriageways @ 70mph. Certain areas are 30 or 40mph, but to get around the main parts we would be driving at 60 or 70mph for the majority of our driving! We feel safer having the tyre replaced, especially in the long term.

• Like 4

I had the pleasure of seeing Chrissie Hynde playing with her band in the Hare and Hounds pub in Birmingham on Monday night.

The venue has a capacity of 280, and it was a delight seeing Chrissie playing . she really looked as if she was enjoying herself playing in such a small venue forprobably the firrst time in 40 years. The first time I saw the Pretenders was in 1979, and that was in the Birmingham Odeon.

She is actually playing a 6 date tour ofsmall venues, between 200 and 300 capacity.  And, partly because I got in free of charge - ( long story, will be delighted to smugly tell you all about it ! ) I bought a tour T shirt;

IMG_0061[1] IMG_0058[1]

• Like 10

A Kinsmart 1/38 Aston martin DB5, whilst picking up a prescription from the pharmacy for my son. The pull back action is a blast. :D

Actually, I quite like the look of it, for NZ$14.99 it did look like what it purported to be & I'm a sucker for a classic AM. The tyres are a bit rufty tufty though. :(

157259-1.jpg

Steve.

• Like 10