What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hmmm .... A Tauro Italian roundels set for my F-84F but they arrived with brown staining and stuck to the wrapping. Sold as "neu" on the World's well known auction site!

M

I’ve been offered a refund upon return but they dont want to pay either the return or the original delivery fee! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I’ve been offered a refund upon return but they dont want to pay either the return or the original delivery fee! 

Try a complaint to ebay under their 'money back guarantee'. An unusable decal sheet isn't what you ordered.....

Keith

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Try a complaint to ebay under their 'money back guarantee'. An unusable decal sheet isn't what you ordered.....

Keith

Great minds and all that ;). Thanks mate 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Great minds and all that ;). Thanks mate 

Hope it gets sorted, in a similar boat myself, brough a revell phantom cheap as damaged packaging via Amazon’s wareharehouse and whilst the kit was perfectly factory sealed and intact it was missing the canopy, and seems I can only return it for full, rather have a partial refund and manage get the spare myself....and buy a full price whole kit (which conveniently for amazon went up almost 3 quid after I ordered) 

Edited by PhantomBigStu

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Hope it gets sorted, in a similar boat myself, brough a revell phantom cheap as damaged packaging via Amazon’s wareharehouse and whilst the kit was perfectly factory sealed and intact it was missing the canopy, and seems I can only return it for full, rather have a partial refund and manage get the spare myself....and buy a full price whole kit (which conveniently for amazon went up almost 3 quid after I ordered) 

Well, the supplier of my decals is in Germany and doesn't want to pay the postage I already spend or the return! They need to think again!

14 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Go through eBay’s “item not as described” dispute feature rather than just messaging the seller. Every time I have done that, eBay has given me a return postage label to print. They’ll always refund your money if you can supply a photo proving your complaint is valid. It can take a week or so to go through,but I’ve never been left out of pocket. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Go through eBay’s “item not as described” dispute feature rather than just messaging the seller. Every time I have done that, eBay has given me a return postage label to print. They’ll always refund your money if you can supply a photo proving your complaint is valid. It can take a week or so to go through,but I’ve never been left out of pocket. 

done! ;) Thanks mate!

• Like 1

Because I have to use eBay as my primary source of kits, decals, etc, I have got used to things either not being as described or damaged in transit. It’s still a relatively low percentage, but it still happens more frequently than I’d like.

Anyway, if there’s one thing I have learnt, it’s not to trust the seller’s good nature. Always go via eBay’s “return an item” feature on the original listing page, supply photos to back up your claim and eBay should send you a returns postage label to print. It won’t cost you a penny. eBay can track the item back to the seller and you’ll be refunded once it arrives. 

Never close a claim before the seller has sorted the problem to your satisfaction. A lot of dodgy sellers will try on the “we will refund you once you have closed the case” ploy. Once you do, eBay will not help and you’re out of pocket. I’ve heard one too many tales of that happening. That was an alleged MO of a recently defunct online model shop with an eBay presence. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 4:37 PM, RidgeRunner said:

A Tauro Italian roundels set for my F-84F

http://www.prontomodel.com/DettaglioArticolo.aspx?CodInterno=TM72/2109   That one? I have ordered directly from Pronto before (the current owners of the Tauro range).
Just an idea...

Thanks mate. Not that one. I have a number of the Tauro sheets but the one I ordered was a different set of roundels. The standard Tauro roundels sheet has cream white rather than white for the circles. As this purchase failed, and they are now saying they will refund all my money, I have ordered a set to be printed by Arctic Decals. To be honest, I should have done that initially.

Martin

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A copy of the Key Publishing 30 years of British Phantoms when I picked up my monthly Scale Aircraft Modelling. Interesting enough but I feel they were working a bit too hard to get new material.

Steve.

I bought it on the basis that it was advertised as having been 'brought up to date' from the original 2017 release but comparing page by page the only differences I could find were in the cover and the adverts , seems to be a bit of a trend with some of their recent 'updated' re-issues either directly in the original bookazine style or re-formatted to their A5 book series size.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Des said:

I bought it on the basis that it was advertised as having been 'brought up to date' from the original 2017 release but comparing page by page the only differences I could find were in the cover and the adverts , seems to be a bit of a trend with some of their recent 'updated' re-issues either directly in the original bookazine style or re-formatted to their A5 book series size.

I didn't see the earlier issue, not so as I can recall anyway :unsure: but if I'd taken the time to look at this one a bit longer, I might have left it on the shelf, they're a bit not that cheap by the time they get out here. :(

Steve

These two arrived today, sorry for poor pic quality, overhead room light has gone, seem to have had a drastic power surge? last night that seems to have destroyed some of my electrical goodies, inc parts of this PC after replacing fuses and checking mains trip box ETC, not the first time, need to get the sparkies in to give it all a health check ... scary!

Anyway, delighted with these two new arrivals 😀

VQoJlCQ.jpg

onyFo8D.jpg

• Like 4

I was resolved to not purchase any more kits for a while. Then a couple of weeks ago, the Red Roo Models newsletter popped up in my inbox announcing that this tempter was in stock. An uncommon kit of a very rare home-grown fighter designed and constructed downriver from my home, where my Dad worked as an engineer (albeit not in the 1940s); Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation at Fishermans Bend on the banks of Birrarung, the Yarra River. What was I to do but grab one? The brand loyalty lingers 🤓. Wow! It's a very nice little kit with a low parts count, great decals, crystal-clear vac-formed canopies (2) and superb finish on the major components. It's kinda full circle from the last model I bought, the most produced piston-engine fighter (Bf.109) to one of the least produced, with only one fabulous CA-15 constructed and flown.

Ca-15.jpg

And speaking of decals, these also arrived today from Aotearoa - New Zealand. Some light-grey 8" serials in 1/48 to help me convert various models to represent RAAF types, including several from crash sites in the bush and underwater that I have visited over the years. Post still very slow from NZ to Oz; a month by airmail.

8inch-numbers.jpg

• Like 7

On 9/28/2022 at 8:14 PM, stevehnz said:

. . . . .  they're a bit not that cheap by the time they get out here. :(

No consolation for those like yourself in New Zealand etc. but notice that on their website it has already been reduced from the release price of £8.99 down to £5.00.

Reductions after a couple of months along with frequent more general sales offers across the board seem to be part of the Key business model , great for catching up on publications that one might pass on when new because of price here in the UK with free delivery but would imagine that shipping at cost would soon take the shine off buying from elsewhere in the world.

16 minutes ago, Des said:

it has already been reduced from the release price of £8.99 down to £5.00.

add £7.99 for airmail post to New Zealand, I'm still better off, or at least breaking even. I'll console myself with that as I read it. :D

Steve.

I put a kit of one of these famous ambulances on pre-order over a year ago. After waiting, waiting, waiting for the other manufacturer to release it, I stumbled across the Gecko Models version of the Austin K2/Y. It had the decals for what I fancied modelling, the Ice Cold in Alex job, and seemed more detailed. So I cancelled my pre-order and decided to grab the Gecko kit when it turned up on the shelves at my local store. Trouble is, I either missed its brief availability in Oz or it never arrived. When the sad news of our great loss in September reached us in this far-flung corner of the lapsed Empire, I ran out of patience and ordered one from Beijing. It arrived today. I note with much eye rolling the kerfuffle around this kit. I've skimmed through a couple of reviews elsewhere (there isn't one on this forum). I am bemused by muted references to the figure or the lady, avoiding all mention of the famous ATS driver and mechanic. When I asked about the Gecko kit at my local store, the response was; "Oh! The one with the big secret!" The apparent story behind the Gecko kit's delayed release in the UK is intriguing, as is the disappearance of the figure (name not to be read out aloud) from the box art and the change of wording in the title (from Katy and the Princess). This contentious Katy kit is collectable I conclude. Cool! 🤓

K2Y-kit.jpg

• Like 6

An exciting start to the day, a response to an email last night to the fine chaps at MJW Models re the new Xtrakit Saro SRA.1. This morning, in stock, the whif one was gone but the prototype was still there, for about 4 nanoseconds it was. ;) :D I'm trying to only frequent these pages when things actually arrive, lest I annoy the cognoscenti with the same thing twice. but this was too exciting to hold back. <_< 

Later this morning a parcel from Latvia via ebay with a Heller Mirage F1CR in it. Cheaper than the Special Hobby one & something I can use the alternative decals in that one on. :) 

Steve.

• Like 2

From Amazon

B-ONE Illustrated book , by Lou Drendel , latest release in the Aviation Art Inc. series published by Amazon with the usual mix of artwork , technical manual excerpts and images in colour and black & white.

From Books etc.

A Hundred Years Of The RAF Air Display 1922-2022 book  , by Ian Smith Watson , published 2022 by Fonthill , for just over half RRP with free shipping , 320 pages with 228 black & White images and a great insight to the attitudes and intentions behind RAF airshow participation and especially the decades of the post-war ‘At Home’ displays including some events where as Max Boyce once famously said ‘I was there’ !!

Via eBay

From jwhi7752 , 2  very reasonably priced sets of Combat Slicks CS48014 1/48 A-1H/J Skyraider Horizontal Stabilisers and Elevators , Stanley YANKEE Seat and RAM Cover , Mainwheels for Tamiya Kits in resin , bought a set a few weeks ago and now another brace to cover all my USAF ‘Spad’ needs.

• Like 1

Whoops

Whenever I visit the Kent Battle of Britain museum at Hawkinge I always feel obliged to buy something from the shop. Airfix have just reissued this kit with new markings options. Now, I built the first iteration some time ago, and I felt I wanted to have another go at it to make a slightly better job this time round. Into the stash it will go while I acquire masking set and other details if I feel like it. I might be tempted to do a dual build against the ICM Do215 I also have. Then again, perhaps not.

• Like 10