What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Maginot said:

In town on other business yesterday, I visited Metro Hobbies city store for the first time. Situated below street level, I descended the stairs past walls adorned with models, under a giant Spitfire hanging from the ceiling, entered a world of wonder and enchantment which was reminiscent of the fabled and much-missed Model Dockyard of my childhood. Outside my usual genre and scale, I've got a fascination for the Horten brothers' extraordinary Nurflügelflugzeuge. How could I resist this well-thought-of kit when I spied it on the shelf? So I chased away the wallet moths and had it popped into one of the largest plastic bags I've ever carried. I thence made my way home on the train, attracting the occasional quizzical look from fellow passengers. Now to figure out how best to finish the model to advantage both the internal structure and external form; skin on, skin off or see-through; plywood, camouflage or aged museum guise? There are some superbly modelled examples on this forum to inform my choices. It will be a while till I get to this one unless curiosity and temptation overcome me...

Nurflu-gelflugzeug-unboxing.jpg

If I were to build this Id start on one wing and go from raw materials like wood & metal frame work. Then on to finished skin in the center. And finally to fully camouflaged on the opposite wing. I think this is the best way to display this aircraft because it shows everything including internals. A variation is to build it with all the internals exposed and the skin on a set of plinths behind or in front of the airframe. This way you also get full camouflage but complete exposed internals ? 

• Thanks 1

Arrived today (DHL held it for a couple of days as I didn't return from holiday until yesterday) from Volks Japan 

EYM0YBHl.jpg

So far so good, I just hope it's as good as reported.

RR

• Like 9

Load of stuff in Lidl after forgetting my wallet at Asda, including some assorted spirits, kicking myself a little though they had  special buy RAL7001 matched primer (always wondered what it should look like in the flesh) for a really good price, and I left it as it was gloss and I thought I had enough Halfords to finish priming my B-17 sprues.....guess what happened when I got home....

Just won this!:yahoo:

Screenshot-2022-09-09-at-21-26-08.png

Its all sound, the decals are a bit naff but I have a set coming from a chap in Norway!😀

Are there any more Brewster aircraft? I have the Buccaneer (Bermuda), and now I have the Buffalo.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Markh-75 said:

Just won this!:yahoo:

Screenshot-2022-09-09-at-21-26-08.png

Its all sound, the decals are a bit naff but I have a set coming from a chap in Norway!😀

Are there any more Brewster aircraft? I have the Buccaneer (Bermuda), and now I have the Buffalo.

Brewster built the Corsair under license. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brewster_F3A-1_Corsair_in_flight_1943.jpg

Other than that just a couple of prototypes. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Aeronautical_Corporation

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Brewster built the Corsair under license. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brewster_F3A-1_Corsair_in_flight_1943.jpg

Other than that just a couple of prototypes. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster_Aeronautical_Corporation

Thanks for that, I had a look myself and as you say, apart from the Buccaneer and the Buffalo and F3A-1 it’s just prototypes. Thanks bud 👍

• Like 1

Wandering up the main street while waiting for a takeaway curry one night, I spotted an odd shop that looked like a front for who knows what? You know, the kind that has you wondering how on Earth it could turn a buck? In the window was an eclectic bunch of 2nd hand "collectibles", mainly junk, carelessly dumped on shelves. I finally found it open today and wandered in. Lots of Lego, Warhammer, grotty books, B-grade DVDs, eye-glazing materialist detritus and all of it pricey. I had to step over a large but friendly long-haired German Shepherd and was confronted by the owner, who was smug, condescending and instantly gave me the creeps; some people should not work in retail. Anyway, down the back, half hidden on a shelf, was this little gem in my preferred scale - 1/48, in a preferred genre - PR, if not a preferred era - a bit modern for me. But hey! It's a Spitfire and only the second in my carefully curated collection. Once upon a time, I had a third Spitty, a bagged Airfix Mk.IX circa 1962. A quick look on the web confirmed it was not readily available and the price was reasonable, if no bargain. After haggling to no avail, I grabbed it and brought it home, my third purchase in a week.

Spitfire-XIX-unboxing.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Wow! An Airfix 1/48 PR XIX, they’e like hen’s teeth these days. Lucky you.

Thanks, @Biggles87. I'm really glad I grabbed it, now. I thought it might be a bit of a score but it was touch and go for a while. This frugal pensioner had already exceded his modelling budget for the week month quarter purchasing that Zoukei-Mura flying wing business, ordering that contentious Ice Cold in Alex ambulance 🤓 and I didn't like the vendor. Of course, non of that's important. I'm just enjoying looking at the PR.XIX's marvelous lines. Together with the Mk.VIII in the cupboard, they have to be my favourite, best-looking Spits.

• Like 4

Via Ali Express

From ModelFans Store - Trumpeter 02809 1/48 North American RA-5C Vigilante kit , industrial inaction added around a week to the delivery time but not likely to be getting built this week/month/year so no problem – cost started around half that of current UK prices and even once shipping and VAT were added was still a saving making the aftermarket less painful.

Via eBay

From Puzzle-Craft - Aires 4118 1/48 F-4E/F/G/J/EJ/S Phantom II Exhaust Nozzles , resin and etch set , essentially the same parts but slightly cheaper than the designated Aires set for the RA-5C and leaves the kit engine parts untouched when the Nautilus internal body frame (en-route) is used , recommended on the Nautilus site but now realise that to eventually attempt an early RA-5C the  Aires set 4128 for the F-4A/B/C/D/N would be more appropriate – swop anyone?

From Tonna Books - Combat Report Magazine Issues 1-4 November 1986/June 1987, free shipping and delivered within twenty hours of ordering , all issues for one of the many excellent but short-lived aviation/modelling magazines that popped up in the late 1980s/early 1990s , in this case bi-monthly and edited by Jerry Scutts containing a mix of mainly B&W photography with  colour profiles.

• Like 2

I just took a bit of a gamble, something I’m really not prone to, on an Airfix Valiant which was listed as “spares or repairs” on eBay. 
There was just the one photo of the box contents, but it did look like all the major components were there, plus many parts still on the sprues. There was some painting done and possibly some minor assembly. At £20 posted, I thought it was probably worth the punt. I already have one Valiant, which I paid even less for, so I can copy any smaller parts that might be missing or damaged. 
Wish me luck!

• Like 5

Went into Going Loco at Outwood today to look for some paint and saw the Airfix Bassett was in. Succumbed to temptation and bought one. 

Pleasantly surprised by how well the tooling has survived, no flash or short shots and the clear parts better than the one I gave in the stash. 

The decal sheet is much better, with an instrument panel, stencil and cheat lines. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

Went into Going Loco at Outwood today to look for some paint and saw the Airfix Bassett was in. Succumbed to temptation and bought one. 

Pleasantly surprised by how well the tooling has survived, no flash or short shots and the clear parts better than the one I gave in the stash. 

The decal sheet is much better, with an instrument panel, stencil and cheat lines. 

That’s good to hear. I have one on the way. 

• Like 1

I’ve not updated new stash residents for a bit, so here we go.

Stash Updates

Picked up the Arado at a decent price at a small show. I think it makes into a reasonable representation. I finally managed to acquire the Seafox, which - I think - completes my Fleet Air Arm 1940 collection.

Stash Updates

The Stösser because trainers count under my rules. I’m pleased with the Dora Lysander, bought from a BM seller, as it can replace my wonky Matchbox one.

Stash Updates

Most recently, this box. It’s going to cause more storage issues than the original kit box would have, but I’m still chuffed to have sourced a Halifax via another BMer.

Stash Updates

Even better were some nice aftermarket bits. I wonder if 2023 will be my year of building Bomber Command?

• Like 13

A couple of reasonably priced kits from a visit to a model show last weekend -  Eduard's 48th Tempest (or possibly Typhoon,  I cannot now quite remember) and also their L-39C Albatros,  in the Evolution boxing -  I'm a sucker for bling, and a large golden dragon is certainly bling! 

All I gotta do now is find time to build 'em... 

• Like 3