What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

10 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi @Whofan, there is another, exotic option. You could build one of the two Su-25TK's used by Ethiopia: https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2021/08/tankovy-busters-russian-su-25tk-attack.html

While there are no specific decals for these machines, Berna does decals for Ethiopian machines which could be used: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/berna-decals-bd-72-87-african-air-forces-migs-and-sukhois--1001877

Cheers

Markus

Hi markus,

thanks for your suggestion. It's one I have looked at keenly, as I beieve I do not have any aircraft models which have an African country's livery.  I may well look out the Berna decals and go ahead with this!

John

Edited by Whofan
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

What's it like? I've tended to slightly go off of them since Edgar Froese died, although I'm still buying CD's made before his departure.

John.

@Bullbasket

John,

in all honesty it's very  ....   Tangerine Dreamy.

it's a tribute to John Peel, a one track 42 minute CD, recorded by Froese between John Peel's death in 2004 and the copyright date on the CD of 2012.

I can't say that it is thrilling, or intensely exciting, because it isn't (to me), but as I say, it is very Tangerine Dream.

This one was definitely made before Froese's  departure.

Edited by Whofan
  • Thanks 1

As well as some more recent local and UK purchases some interesting things arrived from interesting places although some other parcels that have been notified by Royal Mail have been held up by their end of week industrial action and then the holiday weekend.

From Art Scale Distribution in the Czech Republic

Quickboost QB48714 1/48 Kamov Ka-27 Helix Seats With Safety Belts - lovely cast resin replacements for the Hobby Boss kit parts.

Two x Quickboost QB72216 1/72 TA-7C Corsair II Drag Chute Housing - again nicely cast resin BUT the Hobby Boss kits I have are in 1/48 and unlike the 1/72 kit include the housing . . . . . yet another of those Specsaver moments !!

From Plastic Models Store in Ukraine

CAT4 R48073 1/48 TA-7C Corsair II Intake for Hobby Boss kit - resin replacement intake lip and lower fuselage halves including separate integral boarding step and hatch to remedy the kit shape.

CAT4 R48065 1/48 A-7E/D Corsair II Intake for Hobby Boss kit - resin replacement intake lip and lower fuselage halves including separate integral boarding step and hatch to remedy the kit shape.

Two x  CAT4 R48063 1/48 A-7A/B/D/E Corsair II Nose Section Hobby Boss kit - resin replacement radome to remedy the kit shape.

From HobbyDNA.com in China

Sprues from various Trumpeter 1/48 A-3 Skywarrior variant kits for ‘dove’ tail fairing , standard tail fin , more suitable canopy to provide some (but far from all) help with converting their ERA-3B kit into the earlier RA-3B , Hobby DNA might well be the online spare parts and kit sales division rather than a third party contractor as the customs document identified the sender as Trumpeter itself.

Via eBay

Combat Slicks CS48014 1/48 Yankee Seat and Ram Cover , Horizontal Stabilisers and Elevators (plus Replacement Main Wheels) for Tamiya A-1H/J Skyraider kit - very reasonably priced resin replacement parts ,the new main wheels were not mentioned in the item description and were a welcome addition.

From Aero Research

1103 USAF Collection No.15 , latest release as a PDF download with 150+ photos from across the years.

From Amazon

Bandai 0501203 1/48 Xabungle Hobuggy kit – a sort of a flying scooter from a Japanese cartoon series to encourage a Gundam modelling family member to (slightly) widen his interests although if I was building it there would be guns and rocket pods.

Black Hawk Illustrated book , by Low Drendel , latest in the Aviation Art Inc. series of book published by Amazon and released this week covers all US services to varying extents as well as foreign and civil use

At The Aberdeen Modeller’s Society Scale Model Show

From Rif Raf Models - Academy 12294 1/48 F-4C Phantom ‘Vietnam War’ –  late afternoon money burning a hole in my pocket choice , almost went to a model show without buying any kits.

From Moryayvia -  Nimrod Walkround Model Making CDR - some reference photos of the different variants and a detailed walkround on an MR.2 for one whole British pound.

At The Montrose Airfield Museum Open Weekend Fly-In

From the Scottish Aero Club tent -  Scotland’s Airlines book , by Charles Woodley , published 2008 by Tempus , second-hand for a couple of pounds and a slightly deeper subject that I was previously aware of.

• Like 1

From Hobbysearch Japan a Fujimi Toyota Corolla Levin TE.27, keen to do it as one I saw on the NZ Rally in 1973 if poss. Also from Red Roo in Austraya, ;) the book "Australia's Lost Fighter, The CA-15 story", & a CTA decal sheet Welcome to The Jungle, camouflaged US Navy aircraft from the Vietnam conflict, I see a camouflaged Vigilante in my future, at least. 

Steve.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

& a CTA decal sheet Welcome to The Jungle, camouflaged US Navy aircraft from the Vietnam conflict, I see a camouflaged Vigilante in my future, at least. 

Steve.

Ordered the 1/48 Trumpeter Vigilante kit through Ali Express a couple of weeks ago with the same idea for the CTA decals I had just bought , notified at the end of last week that it had cleared UK customs so expect it in the next few days following mail strike and holiday weekend  . . . . .  no idea when I will ever get round to building it.

• Like 2

I had put an AMT 1/72 F-111F on my eBay watch list and the seller sent me an offer which I took up. Although I would obviously prefer the Hasegawa/Hobby 2000 kit, that’s over twice what I paid, *if* you can still find one, and that’s just too damn expensive. Beggars can’t be choosers, and all that. It’ll have to do.

• Like 2

A kind friend gave me this:

spacer.png

He'd been given it, barely started it (a couple of bits were painted whilst still on the sprues) and given up.  Modern(ish) jets aren't my thing, really, as far as building kits goes, but who doesn't love a Phantom?

• Like 8

From the Magazine Exchange, a copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling May 1989(I think) focus on the Avro CF-100, what I'm pretending to build for the Canadian GB, ;) ,more progress soon, also from Thrift Books in the USA, one of my go tos, an Airfix Magazine 1978 Annual plus a copy of the Sarah Patterson(Jack Higgins daughter) book A Distant Summer, I read it a wee while ago & commented of how impressed I was in the what you're reading thread. After reading The Eagle Has Landed also recently, I don't know if it was she, he or they that wrote it, but it is a beautiful read & now I have a copy. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

Somebody gave a me a pile of magazines that included The Aeroplane and some guitar mags which I have enjoyed, also "Secret projects of the third Reich".

I really tried with the Luftwaffe ones  - but they are so boring. 🙄

Can't complain for free though. 

• Like 3

Via Ali Express

Hobby Boss 80346 1/48 TA-7C Corsair II  kit , originally had a ten week delivery date but arrived after four although another Chinese purchase (Trumpeter 1/48 Vigilante) with an expected delivery date during the past week is somewhere in the UK  presumably still heading north on a slow lorry from Heathrow because of the latest Royal Mail industrial dispute.

From Creative Models via Amazon

Eduard Brassin 648477 1/48 SUU-7 Dispensers , pack of four resin pods with flush ended tubes , the separate identifier letters for each of the dispenser tubes must be the smallest and finest individual decals I have ever seen although cannot imagine ever applying them even after I have next been to Specsavers.

Eduard Brassin 648601 1/48 AN/ALE-41 Chaff Dispenser , pack of two resin/etch pods with choice of dispenser fairing.

By the vagaries of the mighty river of e-commerce both part of the same transaction , one qualified for free Prime delivery but one did not , both delivered at the same time from the same shipping address but in separate parcels.

From Key Publications

Catching up with some Bookazines old & new using an offer code.

Aviation Archive – RAF Inter-War Bombers

Aviation Archive – German Bombers of WWII

Aviation Archive – Jet & Rocket Powered Aircraft of WWII

Aviation Archive – Aircraft That Changed the World

Aviation Archive – Transatlantic Flight 100 Glorious Years

Aviation Archive – Classic Airliners of the 1950s

Aviation Archive – Hawker Aircraft

Aviation Archive – British Airliners , The Post-War Years

Tempest – Unsung Power Player

From my local WH Smith

Supermarine Secret Projects 1 – Flying Boats  and  Supermarine Secret Projects 2 – Fighters and Bombers , both by Ralph Pegram and both published 2022 by Mortons Media Group.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

I finally managed to get hold of a copy of the RAF Museum’s British Aviation Colours book and paint chart. It was a bit less than I was expecting to pay: 99 pence!

Now that’s what I call a result!

Got a couple of things; I bought a set of decals for the Kingfisher I'm building;

BD35-BD07-2-AC7-4-B7-B-8433-AF5103-FFB7- I had these but I can't find them anywhere, I had the Airfix kit but it was poor quality, very thin plastic; so thin that when I put glue to it it melted a hole!

...and, I won this!

Screenshot-2022-09-06-at-19-56-37.png Another Grumman; Wanted one of these for a while! Also looking for a Brewster Buffalo, pref, the Airfix kit.

Both from the Bay!

• Like 4

In town on other business yesterday, I visited Metro Hobbies city store for the first time. Situated below street level, I descended the stairs past walls adorned with models, under a giant Spitfire hanging from the ceiling, entered a world of wonder and enchantment which was reminiscent of the fabled and much-missed Model Dockyard of my childhood. Outside my usual genre and scale, I've got a fascination for the Horten brothers' extraordinary Nurflügelflugzeuge. How could I resist this well-thought-of kit when I spied it on the shelf? So I chased away the wallet moths and had it popped into one of the largest plastic bags I've ever carried. I thence made my way home on the train, attracting the occasional quizzical look from fellow passengers. Now to figure out how best to finish the model to advantage both the internal structure and external form; skin on, skin off or see-through; plywood, camouflage or aged museum guise? There are some superbly modelled examples on this forum to inform my choices. It will be a while till I get to this one unless curiosity and temptation overcome me...

Nurflu-gelflugzeug-unboxing.jpg

• Like 7