What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

It was our local show today, and a couple were disposing of the wife's late fathers stash.

I availed myself of a Revell SeaPig, something I have been after for many years,

On a more masochistic note, a Pegasus Balliol and an EAP!

The EAP I have built before, so this one will go together with relative ease.

This couple have a large stash to clear, I saw only about 1/3rd. They will be next at Littleport, (W. Norfolk show) and possibly Billericay and Brampton depending on the situation.

Mostly priced to sell, some a little optimistic, but they will haggle.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Remember the Revell kit when it was first released in the mid-1960s , amazing kit for the time especially as so much of the Revell catalogue back then still relied on 'fit the box scales' and embossed markings.

Optional short/long noses and wingtips , radar scanner detail , good cockpit detail for the day and lots of 'working bits' - swing wings , moving tailerons , retracting undercarriage with fold-down mainwheel action , hinged undercarriage doors , removable escape pod . . . . .  apologies if I missed anything.

The first Airfix F-111 followed around the same time and to my early teenage eyes at least was a bit of a disappointment in comparison.

Recall that the Revell kit was released a few times after that including as an RAAF F-111C but no idea if all of the optional parts and working features continued to be included.

Oh dear, let out again with money. Well, spending took place at the Coventry show today. Oh, yes indeed!

I'd been after this  kit since Christmas, when I decided it would be my Christmas present to myself; not available, so it was then going to be a birthday present to myself - not available - and now, a father's day present to myself. The HK models nose art kit

IMG_1040[1]

The two books were a bonus well, goodness me purchase after reeling from the trader who sold me the Lancaster cockpit kit; I'd already got the Herefordshire and Worcestershire airfields in the Second World War volume (I live in Worcestershire), and this companion volume of Gloucestershire airfields in the second world war was a most reasonable fiver. 

And the US Military aircraft since 1909 a snip at £7.50. It would have helped I know if I hadn't cut off part of the the titles in the photo, but then, David Bailey I'm not.

Also purchased at Coventry were these;

IMG_1039[1]

The Revell E type will be painted up in Primrose yellow, reminding me of my wedding day when my best man took me to the church in his primrose yellow E type. 

And the Takom CADS-N-1-Kashtan CIWS? I wanted one when I saw an ad for it on one of the model magazines. I appreciate it's a Russian subject, but in all honesty, who wouldn't want something so different? I've also been thinking about getting the Takom Sea Slug/Sea Dart mount, too.

I also bought some bits and pieces from Affinity models. 

A successful day, methinks!

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 3

Been struggling with some personal issues that have made modelling rather difficult. In the mean time I have aquired a few items to help with a future build.

This seems to be required reading around here (budget version with part one and two).. 

3A841A4A-B27E-48B6-9C1B-BCDB5051F48A

Airscale 1/32 IP upgrade for the HK Lanc

55830684-8CA9-44C1-BA16-C270AEE9C286

• Like 3

A Revell 1:72 Scud-B.

The Warthogs were hungry..... :)

"What have you got there ? "  asked my daughter.

"A bit of 90s nostalgia" says I.

"Oh,  Airfix make a Mr Blobby kit now ?"  says she.....  :doh:

• Haha 6

For the princely sum of nineteen pounds, this:

spacer.png

It's the old Trimasters kit from waaaaaaay back but it's superbly molded and the detail (particularly the engine and cockpit) is excellent.  Really looking forward to this one, as I do like a 152 and I've been after an H-1 for a decent price for ages now.  I just wish I had somewhere to build it!

• Like 6

Via Amazon

English Electric Canberra , by Ken Delve , Peter Green and John Clemons , published 1992 by Midland Counties , second-hand for £7.50 including postage to compliment Ken Delve’s most recent collaboration on the Canberra from Fonthill of which I took delivery of Volume 1 last week.

From Amazon

WHALE - A-3 Skywarrior Illustrated , by Lou Drendel , new release this week in his Aviation Art Inc. series published by Amazon , usual format with author's original artworks/images/manual drawings , had decided to give the P-40 Warhawk title a miss last month but this is more to my interest and can hope that the B-66 Destroyer might follow soon.

From Guideline Publications

Publications in lieu for a recent article which I thought brought my Warpaint collection fully up to date until I saw the DC-3/C-47 as a new release in the latest SAM and fills also some gaps in other series.

Warpaint No.66 - Bristol Bulldog , by Richard J. Caruana ; Combat Colours No.1 - Bf109E On The Western Front 1940 , by Peter Scott ; Combat Colours No.3 – P-36 and P-40 US Service 1939-1945 , by H C Bridgewater ; Combat Colours N0.4 - Pearl Harbour And Beyond December 1941 to May 1942 , By H C Bridgewater and Peter Scott ; Combat Colours No.9 - Mitsubishi Zero , by Nicholas Millman ; Warpaint Aviation No.1 - Fall Of Iron – Light And Medium Bomber Aircraft WWII , by Gary Hatcher & Chris Meddings ; Armour In Profile - Armoured Fighting Vehicles Of The U S Army 1945-2018 , by M P Robinson , David Grummitt & Leif Robinson ,  Guideline In Action No.1 - Atlantic Resolve - NATO’s Show Of Strength In Europe 2014-2018, Vol.I : Armour , by David Grummitt ; Warpaint Armour 2 – NATO Armour 1991-2020 , by David Grummitt.

• Like 2

I got a few more pedal circuits working, these being an Analogman King Of Tone, a Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion and a Carlsbro Suzz.

The King Of Tone is basically two modified Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrives in one box. There's something like a two year waiting list for a King Of Tone and honestly, I'm not convinced it lives up to they hype. I mean, it is good, but not exceptional, IMO. I'll be putting it into an enclosure at some point in the future, after the house move.

The Stone Grey Distortion is, like the KOT, a circuit I built around ten years ago and only just got around to testing. It's a tight, focussed distortion and I remember liking the sound of it in a demo vide I watched at the time. Another one I'll be boxing up. I have loads of circuits that still need testing!

The Suzz is a very basic op-amp fuzz/distortion. I guess that Suzz is an contraction of sustain-fuzz. My first amplifier, a Carlsbro Stingray 150* (complete with 4x12 cab) had a Suzz feature on the dirty channel. I'm not sure if it's the same one, and to be honest, I don't remember it sounding like this one. For such a simple circuit, I really like it but then again, I'm a big fan of the old Carslbro pedals. The original Suzz is long out of production and like all Carlsbro pedals, sells for silly money these days. I modified mine with switchable input capacitors so you can have a bright and focussed tone or a looser tone with much more low-end. I shall probably modify it further so that the input cap switch is replaced with a potentiometer and I'll also add a variable low pass filter on the output. Definitely a keeper, this one.

I'm just about to head back into the workshop to finish off a couple more pedals, these being the Roger Mayer Spitfire fuzz and the 4mS Tremulus Lune tremolo.

*I know that Carlsbro amps (apart from the old valve 50W & 60W ones) aren't exactly coveted, but it sounded great to me. Back in the early 90s my rig of doom consisted of the Carlsbro stack with a '75 Fender "silverface" Twin Reverb (2x12 combo, so six 12" speakers in all, run in stereo) on top, which was around the same height as me (I'm 6' 2") and was insanely loud. There's no beating the visceral feeling of playing at trouser-flapping volumes, though I do have permanent tinnitus to prove it.

• Like 3

Hi

ordered the new 1:350 hms conqueror from mikromir,

just got the long wait now for crossing the pond and postie to drop it off 

cheers J 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

It's a tight, focussed distortion

Not my usual fayre, but it does sound like a cool pedal.

I modified mine with switchable input capacitors so you can have a bright and focussed tone or a looser tone with much more low-end. I shall probably modify it further so that the input cap switch is replaced with a potentiometer and I'll also add a variable low pass filter on the output.

Now that does sound tasty, I have to say.

'75 Fender "silverface" Twin Reverb

Man, I had one of those.  I've had lots of amps, some good  and some bad.  That's the only one I regret selling.

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Man, I had one of those.  I've had lots of amps, some good  and some bad.  That's the only one I regret selling.

I still have the Twin, but sadly, I think I'm going to have to part with it. I've had it since the early 90s and it still had the original RCA valves in it! I did plenty of gigs before I had to change the power valves. It never did sound as good after that and they didn't last long either. It needs a new set and as I don't gig any more and can't really afford to maintain it, it'll have to go. It's so much louder than I need and I won't miss carrying it! My Orange AD30TC will be staying, as I really need a valve amp to test my pedals with, but I shall be getting a good sounding solid state combo to act as a pedal platform. I could probably buy a pair and have some spare change from the sale of the Twin.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

This

52173860579_a6190728f3_z.jpg

New family sized cave...

52172587827_c6f3def822_z.jpg

Pooches like it

52173622368_19ff34e567_z.jpg

52173860634_b5352175c3_z.jpg

And I've already started knocking it about - Robbed some space from the shed end to give me some more modelling space.

First fix lighting completed, now working on the power circuits.

It'll be insulated and plastered inside.

IanJ

• Like 13

11 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I did plenty of gigs before I had to change the power valves. It never did sound as good after that

I had that with a 1984 JCM800; it sounded unlike any other amp (in a good way - it was biased for 6L6s rather than EL34s) and when the power tubes eventually died I had them replaced (with some very tasty Teonex jobbies) but it just didn't sound the same.  My brother has that amp at his place at the moment and it needs work; once that's done I'll have to sell it.

11 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

My Orange AD30TC will be staying,

I should hope so too!

20 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I got a few more pedal circuits working, these being an Analogman King Of Tone, a Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion and a Carlsbro Suzz.

The King Of Tone is basically two modified Marshall Bluesbreaker overdrives in one box. There's something like a two year waiting list for a King Of Tone and honestly, I'm not convinced it lives up to they hype. I mean, it is good, but not exceptional, IMO. I'll be putting it into an enclosure at some point in the future, after the house move.

The Stone Grey Distortion is, like the KOT, a circuit I built around ten years ago and only just got around to testing. It's a tight, focussed distortion and I remember liking the sound of it in a demo vide I watched at the time. Another one I'll be boxing up. I have loads of circuits that still need testing!

The Suzz is a very basic op-amp fuzz/distortion. I guess that Suzz is an contraction of sustain-fuzz. My first amplifier, a Carlsbro Stingray 150* (complete with 4x12 cab) had a Suzz feature on the dirty channel. I'm not sure if it's the same one, and to be honest, I don't remember it sounding like this one. For such a simple circuit, I really like it but then again, I'm a big fan of the old Carslbro pedals. The original Suzz is long out of production and like all Carlsbro pedals, sells for silly money these days. I modified mine with switchable input capacitors so you can have a bright and focussed tone or a looser tone with much more low-end. I shall probably modify it further so that the input cap switch is replaced with a potentiometer and I'll also add a variable low pass filter on the output. Definitely a keeper, this one.

I'm just about to head back into the workshop to finish off a couple more pedals, these being the Roger Mayer Spitfire fuzz and the 4mS Tremulus Lune tremolo.

*I know that Carlsbro amps (apart from the old valve 50W & 60W ones) aren't exactly coveted, but it sounded great to me. Back in the early 90s my rig of doom consisted of the Carlsbro stack with a '75 Fender "silverface" Twin Reverb (2x12 combo, so six 12" speakers in all, run in stereo) on top, which was around the same height as me (I'm 6' 2") and was insanely loud. There's no beating the visceral feeling of playing at trouser-flapping volumes, though I do have permanent tinnitus to prove it.

You've been a busy boy!

Apropos of nothing, and what we were discussing the other day,  I checked out my Dunlop Wah  and realised that the fault is the dodgy sound of bacon frying on the treble end and when actuated obviously comes and goes making the "whooshing" sound. Probably not the pot then?

I'm not too keen on my Fret King replacement, not enough range so I'll probably just get another Dunlop.

5 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Glad to see it's become a home already,what's the large door on the left for,a horse....

It's a shed that was 12' x 4' - But now I've robbed some space from it to form a modelling nook so it's now 8' x 4', room enough for a couple of bikes and gardening paraphernalia.

• Like 4

On 25/06/2022 at 16:40, lasermonkey said:

There's no beating the visceral feeling of playing at trouser-flapping volumes, though I do have permanent tinnitus to prove it.

Funny thing is back in the late '60's, when volume became the thing, I can remember feeling the movement of air against my stomach when Moon played , and that was before the rest of the band joined in.

the Who's volume then was insane, they had 8 Marshall 100 watt amps and 10 4x12" cabinets on stage, and 6 or 8 4x12" wem PA cabinets either side of the stage all running (I'm sure) at near enough full tilt in clubs for 500 - 800 people.

I 'm pretty sure I remember reading that one of the first open air festivals wem did the PA was something like 2,000 watts - that's what (no pun intended) the Who 's PA and backline was putting out in those small clubs! And if course Moon who was the loudest drummer I've ever heard.

Most of the times I saw the Who in the '60's and '70's with Keith Moon my hearing was affected for a couple  of days afterwards, but there's no doubt the volume then was the cause . I'm lucky though I don't have tinnitus.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 4