What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

We have finally had to replace one of our cars.... 

Back in October 2019 (long before any of the Covid/Coronavirus stuff hit) we got to the point where we realised due to the various things that both myself, and my wife had going on, that we needed two cars. One for my wife going back and forwards to the office, and various activities and meeting in the evenings, and another for myself for any errands and shopping etc during the day. So we purchased a small Toyota Auris Hybrid.... Then all the proverbial hit the fan and all our lives got turned upside down! The wife then started working from home on a full time basis, we no longer really needed two cars (the hybrid, plus our diesel estate!) But.... we still kept hold of both cars, as it proved very handy to have both once things cleared up and things started to open up again - especially when she had to visit family in other parts of the country, I could stay home, and still have use of the other car!

Fast forward to Spring 2022, and sadly it's time to start thinking about saying goodbye to our very dependable, and reliable I40 diesel estate car! Especially with the way that fuel costs are heading! It's done 64500 from new (bought with only 9 miles on the clock!) So what to get... Well there is only one way to go and that is electric. What brand? Tesla? No way, too expensive and for the boot space that we are used to in the estate, too small. Only one company is doing an Estate... MG! But they are in the middle of redesigning and re-launching which means not available for about 14 months (😔 ) Kia Nero? New nothing for 6 months. Similar story with most of the manufacturers sadly. Price wise... What an eye opener.... 😱  For a decent range (and I'm talking over 250 miles here) looking at £30k plus!

We finally found a decent used one in Plymouth whilst on holiday. Hyundai Kona EV, Premium SE edition. Very nice. All the bells and whistles, 16 months old in white. The dealers took our old Hyundai in part-ex (got a pretty good deal as well on that), and we are having the car delivered in the next day or so! Looking forward to the new driving experience, will certainly be different! Oh and for the aviation geeks on here... the car also has a HUD! (for the builders of targets... Heads Up Display - so speed, and nav information is projected onto a pop-up display in front of the driver between the steering wheel and the windscreen!) Will post pics once the car has been received!

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 7

A Special Hobby Super Mystere simple kit, a new venture on their website just now, no box or decals, just bagged kit & instructions. Even though it is for an Israeli one with extended tail pipe, it has all the standard bits & will be used with my Berna decals.

Steve.

• Like 5

For crying out loud. The Hasegawa Phantom has arrived and guess what? Loads of parts are missing. Pretty much all the cockpit bits, the ejection seats, forward wheel bay and gear doors. It took me all of ten seconds to see how much was missing from the frames. It'll be going back for a refund.

The Academy A-10 that I bought from the same seller had been started, despite having been described as unstarted. However, it's just the engine nacelles and it was just a fiver (including postage), so I'll let that slide.

I hate having to rely on cheap, second-hand kits, but that's the state of the hobby for me now. It's bloomin' depressing.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

For crying out loud. The Hasegawa Phantom has arrived and guess what? Loads of parts are missing. Pretty much all the cockpit bits, the ejection seats, forward wheel bay and gear doors. It took me all of ten seconds to see how much was missing from the frames. It'll be going back for a refund.

The Academy A-10 that I bought from the same seller had been started, despite having been described as unstarted. However, it's just the engine nacelles and it was just a fiver (including postage), so I'll let that slide.

I hate having to rely on cheap, second-hand kits, but that's the state of the hobby for me now. It's bloomin' depressing.

Try Kingkit pre-owned.

All complete and guaranteed.

I had a transparency piece missing on a kit I bought from them. Got in touch and a whole transparency frame was sent straight out to me.

Great service.

Meng Pre Coloured 1/9 BMW HP-4 Racer. Was going to get the uncoloured one but didn't fancy all that carbon fibre decaling but this came up on offer.

Well I'm blown away by the quality of the carbon fibre on the kit, it looks like the complete sprues have been hydro dipped, no way could I get that effect with decals

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Neil.C said:

Try Kingkit pre-owned.

All complete and guaranteed.

I had a transparency piece missing on a kit I bought from them. Got in touch and a whole transparency frame was sent straight out to me.

Great service.

They’re out if my price range, unfortunately. While I’m sure the service is great, you do pay the very top end of the going rate.

Anyway, I got my refund and it seems he doesn’t want the kit back.

2 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I don't know what your build rate is, but if it's anything like mine these days, you could try buying one nice kit instead of three dodgy used ones, and it would come out roughly the same.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

It took me all of ten seconds to see how much was missing from the frames.

Drop me a PM with what's missing and I'll see what I've got - I have a Fujimi Phantom kit box filled with just Toom bits from various kits. They may not be from the same kit, so may need a bit of fettling but should let you get it built :)

Keith

PS - what version Phantom was it in the end?

On 6/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, treker_ed said:

Hyundai Kona

Got a petrol version and i rather like it. If ever i ditch the dino juice and go all leccy the Kona EV would be the one i'd go for. Possibly going for a PHEV for my next motor to ease myself into this electric car malarky. Either way it's an auto next for me as im starting to have problems with my left knee and being on and off the clutch doesn't help! Is it the 39 or 64kw battery? 

Regards,

Steve

57 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Got a petrol version and i rather like it. If ever i ditch the dino juice and go all leccy the Kona EV would be the one i'd go for. Possibly going for a PHEV for my next motor to ease myself into this electric car malarky. Either way it's an auto next for me as im starting to have problems with my left knee and being on and off the clutch doesn't help! Is it the 39 or 64kw battery? 

Regards,

Steve

64Kwh version we managed to get (about 300 mile range - depending on driving style and road conditions). Due to the fact that we have family in the North West, and in the South West, there was no way we would have gone for the 39Kwh battery version as it would never have had the range and would have meant stopping probably at least twice on the journey - especially on the trip to see family in the SW! That journey alone on a good run is over 220 miles!

We had the option of a PHEV, but decided no, due to the fact that if the battery runs out, you are stuck with dead weight, and the petrol engine then has to work extra lugging around the electric motor, and batteries! Our other car is a Hybrid, but its a self charging hybrid, Toyota Auris. Nippy, and well balanced between the petrol and electric motor (again all depends on driving style and road conditions!) 

Whilst we love our little Auris, sadly we are having to sell that as well (cost of fuel etc). We will be grateful not to be putting £120+ of fuel (total) in both cars or having multiple fuelling's when on holiday that will put probably £1200 a year just in fuel costs alone back in our pocket! Then there's the VED (or car tax) £0 on an EV, halving the insurance cost, so quite a lot of money to be saved overall! 

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

I don't know what your build rate is, but if it's anything like mine these days, you could try buying one nice kit instead of three dodgy used ones, and it would come out roughly the same.

I see your point, but it doesn’t really work for me. I need a lot of kit for the money and the bit of me that is on the spectrum will not tolerate anything that doesn’t fit that. I can’t comprehend anyone spending £20+ on a single-engined WW2 fighter, for example. It just seems like madness to me, no matter how nice the kit may be.  I’d just feel cheated. I know that to many, having the most accurate kit is the overriding factor, but to me the point of diminishing returns is rather lower than I suspect it is for everyone else.

Anyway, whenever I have had a second hand kit arrive with bits missing, I have always been refunded. It’s just disappointing when it happens. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I see your point, but it doesn’t really work for me. I need a lot of kit for the money and the bit of me that is on the spectrum will not tolerate anything that doesn’t fit that. I can’t comprehend anyone spending £20+ on a single-engined WW2 fighter, for example. It just seems like madness to me, no matter how nice the kit may be.  I’d just feel cheated. I know that to many, having the most accurate kit is the overriding factor, but to me the point of diminishing returns is rather lower than I suspect it is for everyone else.

Anyway, whenever I have had a second hand kit arrive with bits missing, I have always been refunded. It’s just disappointing when it happens. 

My model making is pretty basic 🤣 but I've just bought two 1/48 scale models from Kingkit - a MKII Spitfire and a F-100 "Thunderbirds" for £23.98 - seems cheap to me and no ebay worry.

I have perused the classifieds on here but haven't seen any real bargains.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Drop me a PM with what's missing and I'll see what I've got - I have a Fujimi Phantom kit box filled with just Toom bits from various kits. They may not be from the same kit, so may need a bit of fettling but should let you get it built :)

Keith

PS - what version Phantom was it in the end?

It was the F-4B/N. The seller refunded me before i could start the returns process, so I guess he didn’t want the kit back.

I have pored through the instructions from the various Hasegawa Phantom kits to see what is left over and I have managed to scrape together several parts which were missing. I can scratch the cockpit assembly, rear instrument panel and gear bay roof by copying the parts from one of my other kits. The fairing for the rear of the canopy will be a bit more tricky and I think I willl try to get a mould from another kit using oyumaru and cast with epoxy putty.  The ejection seats should be easy to acquire. 

So maybe not such a bad result after all.

• Like 2

Hi all

Was having a browse in my LMS and came across a shelf marked 2nd hand kits. They were all 1/35 military kits, mostly Dragon. I was very surprised  when enquired about the prices and the long as the short is I am now the owner of a  complete and unstarted RFM 1/35 Panzer III kit with interior, all for £25!!!!!

• Like 3

As promised - here's a couple of pics

(tried taking pics of the HUD in operation - it's a no go! They all come out blurred, and tiny, and yet in operation it's clear, bright, large, and very sharp and in perfect focus.... Must be something that happens when trying to photograph the projection! Very wierd🥴

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Retail therapy for me.

1. Yellowhammer 1/32 74 Sqn F-4J decals coming from the States.

2. Early walkway Tornado decals 1/32 from Hahen.

feeling nostalgic as I race towards my birthday;

1/72 Airfix Hawk, original box art

1/72 Airfix MRCA, original box art

• Like 1

From Paulus Victor

PV-004-48 1/48 Dirty Danes Decal Sheet , covers RDAF overall green Hunter , Draken , Super Sabre and Starfighter , have seen the other sheets printed by the firm described in the past and had been hoping for a subject that I might build , printing and references look great.

From Valiant Wings Publishing

Airframe Album 18 - The Fairey Firefly – A Detailed Guide To The Fleet Air Arm’s Versatile Monoplane , by Richard A. Franks , published and released this week by Valiant Wing s Publishing , usual mix of artwork , manual drawings , illustrations and variant-by-variant drawings . pre-ordered with a reduction on RRP and shipping.

Dunbar Garden Centre

The Battle Of Britain – Extraordinary Courage And Unbreakable Spirit , by Nigel Cawthorne , 2021 Re-print by AURA , £6.99 wide format 200+ page photo book (mainly single black & white images to a page) using period images of both RAF and Luftwaffe along with training , support and  home defence activities.

Second-Hand Books From A Charity Shop Trawl In East Lothian

Aviation In The US Army 1919 – 1939 , by Maurer Maurer , published 1987 by the US Air Force Historical Research Centre , a hefty 600+ page tome that is well outside my usual comfort zone but fascinating nonetheless.

The Places In Between  , by Rory Stewart , published 2004 by Picador , one period covering crossing Afghanistan on foot in what has to date been a fascinating life.

1 hour ago, Des said:

the US Air Force Historical Research Centre

A very good place to visit if you can, Its in Dayton Ohio attached to the National Museum of the USAF. It does require an appointment and a legitimate research request though. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Oh dear, I've been spending again.  And most likely spending more next week at the Coventry IPMS summer show!

Two books and a CD; 

IMG_1022[2]

the R S Sutton is a murder mystery, about a female private eye who gets caught up in a case when a body floats in on the tide ........ R S Sutton is apparently born and brought up in Kidderminster, where I live. Have to support a local artist!

The CD: tales from the hard shoulder - the new one from British new wave prog rock band The Tangent. 

And Au Revoir Britannia by Sylvie Bermann. Trying hard not to breach politics guidelines, Sylvie Bermann was a French ambassador to a variety of countries, including the UK. This is her take on the UK leaving the EU. It will be interesting to see her viewpoint on it.

And

IMG_1017[1]

Morrison's 4 for the price of 3 offer; 2 spitfires, one bombardier and one Elsie Wo - not tried the Elsie Wo berfore, but the Spitfire and bombardier are tasty brews - bought just as the weather is set to warm up !

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 6

"I only went into town to get my hair cut!"

52142609893_12db6376c7_z.jpg20220611_125822 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Basically, once a month there is an antiques and collectors fair on Nantwich square. Last month, I went in to town for said haircut, and whilst walking across the square, saw a stall that had a pile of interesting looking kits. Whilst there was nothing there that took my fancy, there were two diecast 1/43 scale tanks for a fiver each (Sherman and a Churchill) which I snapped up. Got talking to the stallholder (as you do), and he asked if I was also interested in kits. He then produced a list of other kits he had, and one immediately stood out; "Tamiya Dragon Wagon £60". I have coveted this kit for a long time, as it is one of my all time favourite military vehicles, but I just can't justify spending £100 on a kit, but I thought £60 sounded a really good price. The stallholder ended up giving me his business card, and I left having a serious ponder. A few days later, my wife asked me what I'd like for Father's Day. "Weeeelll", I began, "There's this kit......."

Suffice it to say, that I rang the guy back, and he still had it, and it was absolutely mint, never been opened. He arranged to bring it to the next fair in Nantwich, which was on Saturday. Whilst collecting the Dragon Wagon, I had a quick look at what else he had, and ended up with this;

52143080000_7e0bfcab92_z.jpg20220611_125807 by Dan Hardy, on Flickr

Been after it for ages. I know they are pretty common on ebay, but they've always gone for just a bit more than I wanted to pay, especially when postage is factored in. Got this for £15, which I'm pretty pleased with, especially as it is still shrinkwrapped. As I've just taken part in the Matchbox Group Build, I'm tempted to build this set fairly soon. No idea when I'll get round to the Dragon Wagon though!

• Like 7

A Nerf gun, second-hand off eBay. It’s to scare off a neighbour’s pigeons which have suddenly decided to raid our garden and nick all the bird food. I love having wild birds in the garden (including a robin which will feed from my hand) but kinda resent paying to feed someone else’s pets. Especially when they’re not cats.  A Nerf dart up the backside might make them reconsider. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2