What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

I told myself that I wasn't going to buy anymore kits until I had built some more out of the cupboard. Then the Fly Hurricane Mk I trop appeared on the shelves at my local stockist last week. It fits into one of my core genres, in that I can depict the one and only Hurricane taken into RAAF inventory in Australia. As such, I have a choice of at least three paint schemes, decals for one of which come with the kit. I had read good things about this model, which a peek into the box seemed to confirm. Moulded in finely surface-detailed, sand-coloured plastic, it looks absolutely gorgeous. I just couldn't resist.

Fly-Hurricane-Mk-I-trop.jpg

Always on the lookout for quality tools (only the best will do as the years roll on and modelling time grows short), this super-fine file caught my eye at my other favourite model shop (the feral one where there's hardly any room for customers to shuffle down narrow passages between towering stacks of kits). I imagine it will come in handy preparing fuselage-half joining seams and wing leading edges. I'm yet to try its nano technology.

glass-file.jpg

At the artist supplies shop, I spied this little container with the old-fashioned graphic on the lid. At first I thought it must be moustache wax (which I also need). But no! After a chat with the resident Hippie artist, It seems that for all these years I could have been caring for my range of valuable brushes in a much better way. This stuff really works well, leaving my delicately-bristled brushes clean and lustrous as they wait in the rack for the next job. And I can tell you that the little jar is cheaper at the artists supplies shop by quite a margin than online from the giant organisation that funds a multi-billionaire's space follies. Highly recommended.

brush-cleaner.jpg

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Procopius said:

Billy Corgan's awful restaurant is within walking distance of my house, as I live in his hometown.

I didn't know he had a restaurant.

Highland Park Illinois 'eh?

I must admit the menu, weird teas etc etc doesn't grab me as a place I'd like to eat either. 

2 hours ago, Neil.C said:

Highland Park Illinois 'eh?

Yep, about a kilometer from my home. I walk past it on my way home from the train, and alway peer in to see if I can catch sight of his shiny dome.

2 hours ago, Maginot said:

I

At the artist supplies shop, I spied this little container with the old-fashioned graphic on the lid. 

I also use and love this stuff.

• Like 2

From Boyes in Bridlington today.

p?i=ffd61abc1e3da47b14360e4da917e70d

p?i=470a98e37c88aa58cfec203107aca0bb

The drills were a quid a pack so nothing lost if they turn out to be naff, and the files were just under 4 quid for the set.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

From Hannants today - unexpectedly, I would say, I wasn't expecting therm until Saturday - so well done Hannats and Royal Mail!

The Arma Hobby Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate in 1/72, already garnered a favourable review from MIke here

SAM_0615

and to make the Aero L-39 Delphin I bought last week look a little prettier, canopy mask, Eduard steel coloured seat belts, and Master model pitots.

SAM_0616

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 5

With nothing else likely to be delivered before Monday this week's haul follows -

From Hannants

From among the 38 Model Alliance 1/72 & 1/48 decals sets they recently re-listed –  can be found using search term BISMay22

Model Alliance 48127 1/48 EE Canberra Pt.1 Squadron Markings

Model Alliance 48171 1/48 EE Lightning Part 3 , includes the Leuchars TFF 'Scottish Air Force' F.Mk.6

Model Alliance 48177 1/48 Blackburn/HS Buccaneer

From Models For Sale

Sold as second-hand although both very much look as new

On Target Profile 7 - English Electric Canberra Part 1 - Bomber Canopy Variants In British Service , by Neil Robinson and Jon Freeman , published 2005 by The Aviation Workshop Publications Ltd. , intended reference for the Canberra decal sheet above which otherwise only provided thumbnail sized side profile and page numbers as was the case with some of their releases prior to them including copies of the relevant artwork with the decals.

On Target Profile 11 - English Electric Canberra Part 2 – RAF Fighter Canopy Variants and Canberra In Worldwide Service , by Glenn Sands, Gary Madgwick and Jon Freeman , published 2006 by The Aviation Workshop Publications Ltd. , by the vagaries of the second-hand market 25% more pages than Part 1 for less than half the price.

• Like 1

spacer.png

A great find in the Oxfam shop in Keswick this week for £2.49. Some great pictures - some arty, some detail, interesting angles etc. Great for inspiration and many types covered: Tonkas, A10s, Jags, A6, Viggens, Apaches, Lynx. I was particularly taken by the weathering on the RAF harriers in Arctic camo. Speaking of Harriers...

spacer.png

Chuffed to get this on ebay for £11, been looking to get one for a while now.

• Like 3

An Academy A-10A and a Hasegawa (newer tool) F-4 off that eBay for fifteen quid the pair,  posted. Both 1/72, obvs. I’ve bought from the seller before, so I have a certain optimism that everything will be ok.

The version of F-4 wasn’t stated, but to be honest, for the money, I’m not really bothered. I mean, Phantoms are super, aren’t they?

• Like 5

Also an FS 595b fandeck. I already have a 595b ring binder, but the fandeck is that bit more portable. I’ve been after one for a while and the very few I have seen always gone for much more. This was fifteen quid. Result!

A bid on a couple of perfect* germanium transistors was successful.  These will be used for fuzz pedals. 

*The thing with fuzz pedals is that you can’t just whack a few transistors in there and expect it to work properly. Even with silicon transistors, you need to make sure the current gain (or hfe) is in the right range for the position in the circuit. With germanium you also have to factor in the leakage current.

With certain fuzz pedals the circuit may rely on either leaky or non- leaky transistors, depending on the pedal. In the case of the Tonebender Mk III/IV and Buzzaround, the last transistor needs to be quite leaky (around 400uA-600uA) and have a gain of around 100-130 (130-150 for a Buzzaround) and finding one can be incredibly frustrating unless someone has already gone to the effort of measuring them for you! These two were perfect for a Buzzaround, one of my favourite fuzz pedals, so I’m very happy with that. 

• Like 3

@lasermonkey, when I'm rich and famous I'm going to get you to build my signature fuzz pedal. It'll be a horrid combination of a SunnO))) Life pedal, An MXR Sub Machine, a Blue Box and an American Geek with the preamp section from a Sunn Model T, all housed in a grey metalflake enclosure with holographic knobs.

• Like 1

Grabbed another good Eduard bundle, from the same seller I bought my Spitfires a few weeks ago. This time with a picture to prove it's true. 😄

20220604_114154

Two Special Hobby Bf-109s, one Eduard Bf.110 and two Arma Hobby Hurricanes.. actually four, as the bundle also includes a couple of overtrees. And of course plenty of the goodies that Eduard offer in their combo boxes. I'm coming to the conclusion that these combos are one of the best value for money in the hobby at the moment, particularly when offered at reduced price or when nobody bids on them like in this case.

Then there are the two AK Interactive sets, that I'm very eager to try.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Also an FS 595b fandeck. I already have a 595b ring binder, but the fandeck is that bit more portable. I’ve been after one for a while and the very few I have seen always gone for much more. This was fifteen quid. Result!

A bid on a couple of perfect* germanium transistors was successful.  These will be used for fuzz pedals. 

*The thing with fuzz pedals is that you can’t just whack a few transistors in there and expect it to work properly. Even with silicon transistors, you need to make sure the current gain (or hfe) is in the right range for the position in the circuit. With germanium you also have to factor in the leakage current.

With certain fuzz pedals the circuit may rely on either leaky or non- leaky transistors, depending on the pedal. In the case of the Tonebender Mk III/IV and Buzzaround, the last transistor needs to be quite leaky (around 400uA-600uA) and have a gain of around 100-130 (130-150 for a Buzzaround) and finding one can be incredibly frustrating unless someone has already gone to the effort of measuring them for you! These two were perfect for a Buzzaround, one of my favourite fuzz pedals, so I’m very happy with that. 

That sounds really interesting.

I have great respect for people who can make pedals. 👍

• Thanks 1

Haven't bought (or built) any kits for ages. Difficult to find anything to interest me TBH but I bought a couple of 1/48 scale jobs - a Revell MKII Spit and an Esci F100 Thunderbirds.

Childhood favourites. 🙂

• Like 2

A 1/144th.co.uk Gloster Javelin Mk4 (pen nib rear)  dropped into my mitts today - what great service! Ordered it Wednesday last week, and despite the two Bank Holidays and the weekend, it arrived today, Monday.

I am looking forward to building it. If it goes as well as it looks in the box, it will be a beaut!

Ray

• Like 2

A couple of bargains off eBay: first was a Revell 1/72 Mi-24V (the reboxed Zvezda kit) and the second was a Zvezda 1/72 Su-27UB. The Sukhoi will most certainly be finished as a Ukrainian machine and if possible, so will the Mi-24.

edit: both second-hand, as I wouldn’t be buying Zvezda brand new right now. 

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 3

My frequent stalking of eBay has paid off again. I managed to snag the Air Craft 1/72 RAF Washingtons decal sheet/ etched brass fret that I’ve been after for ages. The seller has a set in both 1/48 and 1/144, if you’re interested. 

• Like 1

Airfix F-111E, bit of a mad one given I have 4 diecast f-111's and have built the Italeri A before but was watching a doc on the F-111 late at night after a few drinks over the weekend and had a little bid. Maybe Ill try and convert into a C that be my dream or perhaps do an all over grey one.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

A bag of non-clumping cat litter 

I'll see your non-clumping cat litter and raise you a pack of 100 swing bin liners. With - get this - tie tops. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

A fridge, to replace the 20 year old american-style monstrosity that was using 3kw a day.....  sadly SWMBO filled it full of healthy stuff before I could get the beer and trainers in it....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4