What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

13 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just cut it from inside the scribed lines, then slowly file away the rest until you get to the right size. 

Yusss! I got one, but if I can find a VERY fine saw I could actually cut the door out of this one!😀👍Would be nice to have an open canopy, so far the only model I have with one is my little Bearcat.

Got that idea sorted then!👍

• Like 1

A few books etc. this week before heading down to the Scottish Nationals at the weekend where so far I am only definitely looking for a paint that will do as a dark leather but pretty sure that I will be able to spend a lot more.

From Key Publications

Aviation Archive British Carrier Air Power The Post-War Years , latest addition to the series and nicely timed with my renewed interest in the subject , usual style illustrating 29 aircraft types with period cutaways for 9 – Buccaneer S.1 , Firebrand IV , Gannet T.2 , Sea Fury X , Seafire XVII , Attacker 1 , Scimitar 1 , Wyvern 4 , Whirlwind 1.

The Real Top Gun – Inside the US Navy’s Fighter Weapons School , new bookazine out this week with history and current operations perhaps timed to coincide with the eventual release of the follow-on Top Gun II movie later this month.

De Havilland Comet – The World’s First Jetliner , another new bookazine this week celebrating seventy years since Comet’s first commercial flight , covers civil and military use including the ‘spooky’ ones , aircraft histories and illustrated with a mix of colour and b&w photos along with 43 colour side profiles.

Britain’s Guided Weapons , by Chris Gibson , published 2022 by Key , latest addition to their book series and covers all forms of aircraft/vehicle/ship/hand carried guided weapons since WWI.

From Morton’s Books

Sea Harriers Of The Falklands War , by Chris Sandham-Bailey , released this week by Morton’s , covers all 28 aircraft involved giving a brief history along with several double-page-spread colour side profiles (103 in total) showing pre-war/wartime and where applicable post-war colour schemes including those of FA.2 conversions of each aircraft.

From Books etc.

Looking Down Corridors – Allied Aerial Espionage Over East Germany and Berlin 1945-1990 , by Kevin Wright and Peter Jeffries , published (re-print) 2017 by The History Press , will eventually build one of my Airfix Chipmunks as an RAF Gatow Station Flight example so thought I might read a bit more on them.

From The Hive

RAF Training Command – A Pictorial History , by Keith Wilson , released this week by Amberley Publishing , pre-ordered at approx. 75% RRP.

From Hannants

Xtradecal  X72158X48045 and X3022White RAF/RN/Army Titles, Letters and Serials , 1/72 , 1/48 and 1/32 sheets respectively.

Mark I Decals DMK 14457 – RAAF WWII Roundels Type B , for a 1/144 Fairey Battle that came as a magazine freebie.

Ram Decals RAM32-001 - 2005 Hawk T.1 Special Display Scheme ,  reduced from £12.99 to £3.99 , 1/32 scale not my usual but bought as a markings resource for different projects/scales.

Almark A48-14 – Gulf Operations 1988/89 USN A-6 and F-14 , another reduction (from £3.99 to £1.99) and again as a markings resource for different projects.

Via eBay

HaleBor 80x100 Monocular , was recommended by my brother-in-law who had bought one so splurged £5.99 for new with free next day delivery , like the idea as opposed to the small pocket-sized binoculars I already have in the car but I do seem to get an odd shadow at some angles and not sure if it is my eyes or the device but suspect that I have got exactly my money’s worth , will continue to try it out but expect that I might end up spending a bit more on one without 'odd shadows' that I can check out in a shop first.

• Like 5

A touch of the Big H's website brought forth these;

IMG_0997

canopy masks for the Airfix Spitfire F.22, Tamiya Ki-61, and the Hasegawa zero, all 1/72 scale.

And then this ginormous box arrived with not a very big kit in it;

IMG_0998

This is effectively a replacement for my 1/72 Zlin 126, where I mucked up the canopy and the yellow paint is definitely the wrong yellow.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Whofan said:

And then this ginormous box arrived with not a very big kit in it;

IMG_0998

This is effectively a replacement for my 1/72 Zlin 126, where I mucked up the canpy and the yellow paint is definitely the wtrong yellow.

I just ordered that kit and a couple of extra bits and bobs for it from Eduard's eshop today.

In 2014, I got a flight in one of the aircraft featured on the decal sheet (OK-IFG). The decals in the kit represent it from a slightly earlier era than my flight, but the differences are small and I should be easily able to adjust the decals to make it look as it did for the flight I took in it.

• Like 4

On 13/05/2022 at 19:52, upnorth said:

I just ordered that kit and a couple of extra bits and bobs for it from Eduard's eshop today.

In 2014, I got a flight in one of the aircraft featured on the decal sheet (OK-IFG). The decals in the kit represent it from a slightly earlier era than my flight, but the differences are small and I should be easily able to adjust the decals to make it look as it did for the flight I took in it.

Nice one! I hope the flight was a nice one.

I got mine because it was used by the Austrian Air Force, my mother in law being Austrian.

The Austrian decals in the kit are derived from the same aircraft in a museum as the aftermarket decals from Brent Air Decals, an Austrian firm that I used.

Edited by Whofan

Revell Westland Sea King. The boxing with German decals but bits for the larger radar dome, now I can do one of the colourful Belgian ones. I have since bought the older tool Airfix one with the AEW radar setup, also with the bigger Radar, so with the later tool Airfix giftset I already had, there'll be the Belgian one, an orange & grey rescue one & a dark blue one from HMS Eagle in 1971. One day. :)

Steve.

• Like 8

This - the best 1/72 model of the best looking Spit wearing a nice blue paint scheme. Three other excellent marking choices are included. And all for under a tenner! Which is about all I can afford right now.

spacer.png

• Like 9

A hodge-podge of things:

1/72 Barracudacast Tempest Series 1 mainwheels

1/72 Barracudacals Fw190 stencils

A small assortment of Albion Alloys brass tubing
Green Hearts: First in Combat with the Dora 9, by Axel Urbanke

JG26 Photographic History by Donald Caldwell

• Like 3

From Amazon.co.jp some Mr Hobby Acrysion Paint (water based) and some Godhand sanders. Delivered within a week.

Total cost £32 for 12 bottles of paint and a pack of sanders.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Robert
update
  • Like 1

Nazi Cinema as Enchantment: The Politics of Entertainment in the Third Reich, by Dr Mary-Elizabeth O'Brien.

and

Inhumanities: Nazi Interpretations of Western Culture, by David Dennis.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Robert said:

From Amazon.co.jp some Mr Hobby Acrysion Paint (water based) and some Godhand sanders. Delivered within a week.

What was the postage like? I presume even Prime isn't free from Japan?

@Galligraphics hi, no free postage but because it was by weight l was able to justify the postage by spreading it across the items. The item was delivered by DHL Express. I would define use it again.

Regards

Robert

• Thanks 1

A new keyboard and a new mouse for the PC.

The keyboard has been failing for a while, several characters needing a 2nd or3rd go to type in, but the mouse suddenly started playing up. So I thought bite the bullet, and I bought a keyboard for £6 and a mouse for a fiver. 

Both work very well. I feel almost as if I have a new PC!

• Like 4

Some “perfectly ripe” kiwi fruits that were in fact nothing of the sort. One was actually liquid under the skin and the other three too far gone. I hate wasting food, but I I’m also ridiculously fussy. Not a winning combo, I’ll admit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Having stumbled across a Heller 1/72 Noratlas on eBay for just £12.50 posted, I decided it would be rude not to. I’ve been hankering for a Noratlas for a while  now. I understand it’s not the easiest kit to build, but it’s not like there’s any alternatives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Some “perfectly ripe” kiwi fruits that were in fact nothing of the sort. One was actually liquid under the skin and the other three too far  gone. I hate wasting food, but I I’m also ridiculously fussy. Not a winning combo, I’ll admit. 

I'm with you on hating to waste food and being fussy. I take the view that soft fruit especially can be unpleasant if it's turned,

I will, however use the taste and smell test on some things rather than a sometimes ultra cautious use by date.

• Like 1

A Hasegawa Monte Carlo Toyota Celica found its way into my HlJ Private warehouse. The Nunu desert rally Porsche 911 is due for auto shopping shortly & the kit I was waiting on hadn't showed up so I needed something to make shipping cheaper per kit. You watch, the expected kit will turn up next week just after I ship these, it's happened before. :D

Steve.

• Like 2

No scale model this time folks, sorry, my stash is full to the brim like most of us here but still awaiting some new releases :)

Its another new Guitar, posted last time here my dilemma before about an EVH or a Tele, went for the EVH and love it, saved up my pennys again though and now have a very nice Fender Telecaster to add to my Guitar collection ... where does it end? :)

Its probably not the apex of Fender Telecasters, see them go for £3 grand or more, this one cost me just over £800, but for my budget, am in the Tele club now.

Still not plugged it in, but tuned it up and even without peeling off the pick up and elsewhere cellophane protection, can feel and hear that distinctive Tele sound already.

Colour was my choice from the start and years of wanting one, it had to be Butterscotch for me ... I'm chuffed to bits already with this guitar 👍

MnBMr3o.jpg

PmDpEFv.jpg

HsFu9Xm.jpg

• Like 7