What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

A few things from The Big H. I noticed that the Model Maker Bulgarian MiG-21 decals were back in stock and seeing as the camouflage schemes are well funky (that's a technical term, by the way), I had to get them. I can't imagine myself building anything with a red star on the side for a while, so having some alternatives gets me around that obstacle. That brings me to the next item, which is the Hi Decal sheet for MiG-17Fs. My build of the Airfix kit had stalled as I needed the colour call outs to proceed any further. I think I'll be doing the Egyptian "Nile scheme" option.

Another build that ground to a halt is my Airfix Lancaster (Dambuster). A set of Eduard masks means that I can hopefully get some more done before everything gets packed away for the house move. Once that's done, I suspect it'll be quite some time before I get to do any kit building again. I'm not looking forward to that, but the prospect of having huge swathes of open access heathland within a five minute walk, plus the  sea being nearby is something I'm sure will make up for it.

That reminds me, the Airfix Tempest I bought recently is mostly together now. Apart from those trailing edges, I think it's a pretty decent kit and with luck and a following wind, I might just get it finished before the move!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Any word on a release date for this?  B)🇺🇦

MkuO5R8.jpeg

That's excellent - I'm not a vehicle / armour modeller but I'd build one of those (if it were real!).

Some books arrived this week and more expected next week.

From Phoenix Publications

Real to Replica 2 – F-16 Fighting Falcon Part 2 International Versions , by Andy Evans pre-order released this week by Phoenix Publications.           From the inside cover E-2 Hawkeye, Wild Weasels and Saab Grippen to follow later in the year.

From Martin Bott Booksellers

From the Cockpit 4 – Firefly , by J.G.S (Joe) Norman , published 2007 by Ad Hoc Publications.     Further reference source for my recent Special Hobby Firefly kits.

Via eBay

View From The Cockpit – Flying Military Aircraft , by Tim McLelland , published 2014 by The History Press.     As always was looking for something completely different and came across something else instead , RRP £20 and available new from under £9 (mine was from the thebookboyz with free shipping and stock remaining) to over £100 (really !!  . . . . . World of Books and the cheek to call both of their second-hand available copies cheap).       Author’s experiences being flown in the Chipmunk to C-17 with most recent RAF trainers JP to Hawk and fighters Lightning to Typhoon in between.

• Like 1

A few odds and ends

I'm going to need a bigger bench for this one

New arrivals

something for the racers GB later maybe?

New arrivals

And this, cheap. A bit more than 26p though

New arrivals

The canopy is missing, but I'll try to fettle a vacform to fit

/P

• Like 4

I am going through a stage where I like to think 'Oooh, the colours, man!'**, so I had this little lot delivered from Hannants today:

DSCN8590

Cheers,

Ray

** Lyrics courtesy of Fred Wedlock, from 'Robin Head', on the Frollicks album

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

How do chaps,

Put in a cheeky bit on an Asuka Sherman III kit and was pretty chuffed when i won it as i was the only bidder! 

Been after one of these for a while now but the asking prices always put me off in the past.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

I'm having to move house soon, and so was looking to reduce my stash, which is almost exclusively of WW2 aircraft.  Therefore it made total sense for me to buy a Revell (Monogram) F-5F Aggressor and an Eduard MiG21, right?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

I'm having to move house soon, and so was looking to reduce my stash, which is almost exclusively of WW2 aircraft.  Therefore it made total sense for me to buy a Revell (Monogram) F-5F Aggressor and an Eduard MiG21, right?

Absolutely, in percentage terms the quantity of WW2 aircraft in your stash has decreased  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, IanHx said:

Absolutely, in percentage terms the quantity of WW2 aircraft in your stash has decreased  :)

That, sir, is the most insightful and inspired philosophy I have seen in weeks.

• Like 1

Snagged one of the new Airfix Tempests from MJW -- the rumourmonger thread on it is quite long, anyone care to summarize what flaw Airfix have left in the kit, lest they challenge god by striving for perfection?

• Like 2

An Airfix P-51B from Southern Sky Models in Perth via ebay, the only one I've found that had the score board in register, a decent price & decent postage. Its a replacement for the one I sold years ago before I learned to appreciate some of the classic kits out there. :)

Steve.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Snagged one of the new Airfix Tempests from MJW -- the rumourmonger thread on it is quite long, anyone care to summarize what flaw Airfix have left in the kit, lest they challenge god by striving for perfection?

I think the main issue is the overly thick trailing edges. They really do let the kit down and the time taken scraping and sanding is very much well spent, imo.

The wing stripe decals which are indicated for use on both marking options are wrong for the No. 486 Sqn machine. This should have the type identification markings used on Typhoons and early Tempests (I can’t remember the stripe widths). Personally, I wouldn’t use decals for the wing stripes anyway, as I just don’t trust them.

I didn’t like the instrument panel decal either. They still look cartoon-like in comparison with other manufacturers. A bit more effort here from Airfix could make the world of difference. I guess you wouldn’t use that anyway.

I remember reading some reservations about the hub size for the later wheels, but I don’t think anything was settled definitively. Eyeballing the parts against photos, they didn’t look too bad to me. Not a scientific approach, I know.

The plastic used is much better than in the past,  but from other reports I think that thorough dry-fitting is a must. I found that apart from the radiator assembly, which was a touch too wide, everything fitted very nicely. I attached the upper wing assembly to the fuselage first and when dry, added the lower wing assembly to that. That worked well for me and might be worth trying.  Other than that, my kit pretty much flew together. So far!

Edited by lasermonkey
Poor syntax. Enough to make me go back in and correct it.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Therefore it made total sense for me to buy a Revell (Monogram) F-5F Aggressor and an Eduard MiG21, right?

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

An Eduard 1/72 MiG-21PF (Weekend edition) from eBay. I was sent an offer that was too good to turn down. I’m a big fan of the Eduard MiGs.

Yay, Mig21 friends!!

• Like 1

Latest modelling related purchases have mostly been in the sign of Eduard, as I managed to grab some good bargains at that auction site...

First was a lot of two Profipack MiG-21s, one each of the "interceptor" and "fighter bomber" boxes. I know there's an STGB running, may decide to enter one in there...

Then I went crazy with Spitfires, and got a couple of nice packages: the Mk.XVI box, with one high-back and one low back, and the "Nasi se Vraceji" limited edition box, with 3 kits, resin parts and a book on the Spit IX in Czech service. That's another 5 Eduard Spits to add to the stash...

In between I managed to find a Hasegawa EF-111 for a very good price, an old kit but still a good one. Of course, this and all the others in 1/72 scale.

• Like 4

trying to hold off as much as possible on purchases as an etailer I use has tends to have some kind of easter thing on and theres a few bits I'd like from them, but ebay got me two kits over the last few days for GB's, heller mirage III and MB Meteor, also put in a sneaky order from said etailer for some revell glue as I am on my last pot (honestly I am) and not because it boosted my loyalty points over the next discount voucher for said easter splurge......😀

• Like 3

This from Ebay for 99p plus shipping. Losse parts but appears complete. Decals seem to be in good shape too

New

It came in a poly bag wrapped in cardboard, so has now been rehomed into something sturdier

New

At last, something useful to come out of Covid

/P

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 litres of white spirit

4 inch block brush

2 x paint kettles

5ltr can of clear oil based wood preserver

Guess what i'm doing this Easter weekend!? 😁

Regards,

Steve