What's your latest acquisition Part VII ?

Duncan B

12 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

Besides ordering paint, glue etc, my latest acquisition is a Williams Brothers C-46 Commando, this will look great next to it’s little  brother the C-47, it’s an older kit and I’ve looked it over, everything is there and in good condition, still thinking about what I can do on this, I did want the Valom kit but it was too expensive, I’ll just wait for a decal set that’s on its way for it, or I can make it into a big silver bird! 

I am a fan of aircraft that used the Double Wasp engines (R-2800), and the C46 was fitted with them! Some C-46s are still being used today! (Not many though).

Pictures to follow.

Well you just got lucky, Caracal is releasing/re-releasing this sheet. 

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd72093.html?mc_cid=68797bd469&mc_eid=4f1cb892ef

• Like 1

A little something I just knocked together:

p?i=3c524521e10c543f4419b1c8e80c18ef

It's a cut-down clone of the Musitronics Bi-Phase effect. I used the PedalPCB circuit board, though I did a couple of modifications. Firstly, I swapped out the LFO timing capacitors for a larger value to enable slower sweeps. Although it slows down the maximum speed somewhat, it will still do convincing fast Leslie (rotating speaker) effects, just not the mad, alien wibble of the original. I also added bi-colour LEDs which flash in time with the LFOs. Not strictly necessary, but it looks kinda swish.

What you basically get is two Phasor II effects in one box, with some extra functionality. The Phasor II is a six stage phaser which uses optocouplers in the all-pass filter stages. The original used an incandescent lamp with photocells, but the Cadmium Sulphide in those is now on the prohibited list, so this uses LEDs along with light dependent resistors (LDRs). I had to buy a whole bunch of LDRs and make a test rig so I could get 12 which were within +/- 2.5%. Basically, the closer matched the components in the all-pass stages, the stronger the phasing effect it. It took bloomin' ages to go through around 200 LDRs, but I did get a good few matched sets for future builds. The LEDs are also matched. I'll explain why in a bit.

Right, with two phasers in one box, each with their own in and out jack sockets, the can be used as two totally separate effects. It also uses switched jack sockets so that if you only use channel A's input, the output of channel A is automatically routed into channel B for two phasers in series. You can then have, for example, one phaser doing a fast Leslie speaker type effect while the other does a long, slow sweep. You can also sync the two oscillators so they both sweep in time. This results in a 12-stage phase shifter which sounds wonderful. Matching both the LEDs and LDRs mean that both phasers are closely matched. There's a good reason for this, as if you use them in stereo and invert the polarity of channel B's sweep, one channel will sweep upwards whilst the other sweeps downwards, in time and by the same amount.

I'm very happy with how this has turned out. I've hankered after a Bi-Phase ever since I first heard one on a Lee "Scratch" Perry record some thirty-odd years ago. They were always rare in the UK and even if you could find one, chances are it was massively expensive. OK, this one doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does do pretty much everything I want from it on guitar. I will probably buy the Dead End FX Lola Phase at some point, which is effectively a 1:1 clone using modern components and I'll build that into a 19" rack enclosure and do a couple more mods which I would have liked to do on this one, but there wasn't room.

The next phaser I need to finish is a clone of the EHX Polyphase.......

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well you just got lucky, Caracal is releasing/re-releasing this sheet. 

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd72093.html?mc_cid=68797bd469&mc_eid=4f1cb892ef

I knew this was coming out soon but wasnt aware of exactly what was included on the sheets. Thanks for posting this; now I do know! Looks great! I'll use one of the USAAF sets or the Varsity set! Thanks Fox-4.👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

It's a cut-down clone of the Musitronics Bi-Phase effect.

Oh man, I'll be that's fabulous!  What a cracking build (and how much patience must you have to check the performance of 200 LDR's?!).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Oh man, I'll be that's fabulous!  What a cracking build (and how much patience must you have to check the performance of 200 LDR's?!).

Funnily enough, I have endless patience for things like that, but when it comes to things like DIY, I lose my temper (and sense of humour) really quickly! I've been in the electronics industry since 1983, so I'm very much used to testing hundreds of the same thing. I also have to test and label every single transistor that I buy in, as when used in fuzz pedals, you can't just whack a transistor in (even if it is the correct part) and expect it to sound good. They need to be sorted for gain and, in the case of germanium transistors, leakage current. It just has to be done, there's no getting around it. And if you're building an octave fuzz, you also need to match the forward voltage drop on the clipping diodes. That means testing and labelling those too. It might help to explain why some pedals seem expensive for a low component count.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 1:32 PM, lasermonkey said:

Just scored a Revell 1/72 MH-47E off eBay for just over thirteen quid, posted. Result!

Might not be so pleased once you build it. A bit of a pig even by italeri standards. Anyway for me an italeri  b-25 and a KP pink spitfire and tempest combo, bid on that as I want the decals and though the tempest would come with the third spruw for the II/VI making me look a mug for buying the academy V kit last week and not just buying the decals solo. 

Today's delivery from the Works. At the price it would be rude not to! And having ever more problems with arthritic fingers I fear my beloved 1/72 scale stash might have to go to make way for more fumble thumb scale stuff! 

And fortunately a quick check shows these to hopefully be 'good' Airfix mouldings.

Airfix 1

And I thought this was interesting on the front of the Meteor box;

AIrfix 2

I've seen 'designed in' on recent Airfix kits before, but not manufactured? If it means the plastic bits and not just the box (!) it could be good news that they are actually starting to bring moulding back home! :)

Keith

• Like 5

Foreseeing certain events, I decided last week to purchase some items I've already eyed on for a long time before everybody has the same idea and supply dries up:

• Neomega 1/48 Ka-52 conversion (wanted one for a looong time, especially as the Kitty Hawk kit remained a dream)
  • Neomega 1/48 SEPECAT Jaguar cockpit
  • Neomega 1/48 K-37 Helicopter ejection seat for Italeri Ka-50
  • Neomega 1/48 K-36 Ejection seat (having lots of Soviet/Russian stuff in the stash there's always use for one more)
  • Neomega 1/48 Su-25 cockpit (the only good aftermarket cockpit in this scale and the Monogram kit needs it)

Still, somehow the usual joy which accompanies such a purchase does not set in this time. You may all know why :(

purchase_2022bnko5.jpg

Cheers

Markus

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Shorty84 said:

Still, somehow the usual joy which accompanies such a purchase does not set in this time. You may all know why :(

Indeed, felt the same about the ICM kits - lovely models but bought under such a dark cloud.... :(

🇺🇦

Keith

• Like 4

From Poland via eBay, a Valom Firebrand TF 5. Something I'd  been meaning to get for ages, came close to a couple of times but always found something else to tempt me, but then I noticed the kit with the low EDSG demarcation markings was getting harder to find, it was time.  :)

Steve

• Like 5

From Aero Research

This month’s addition to their range No.1100 USAF Collection - Part 14 as a PDF download.

From Air Wing Media

Some more of their Magazine/Manuals/Photograph bundle PDF downloads -  Northrop P-61 Black Widow , McDonnell F/RF-101 Voodoo and Convair F-102 Delta Dagger/F-106 Delta Dart.

From Key Publishing

Latest release in their Aviation Archive - Century Series , America’s Cold War Jets  with images , double-page cutaways and fold-out colour sideview profiles of the operational jets from F-100 to F-111 along with image only coverage of the F-110 Spectre , USAF MiGs , F-117 and the Century projects that did not make it.     Next issue in a couple of months will cover Post-War UK Carrier Aviation.

• Like 2

Dvd's from the Charity shop i go to...

London's Port & River Heritage: Waters of Time.

Terminus: 24 hours in the life of Waterloo Station. (i remember watching it on Talking Pic's 3 or 4 years ago).

TT: A Film Documentary.

British Steam in the 50's & 60's.

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 2

I love TOONS! OK they are not everybody's cup of tea, but to a 74 year old (next week) they are a quick shot in the arm!

photo-vi.jpg

• Like 4

Just found this on a shelf at a local craft store, looks like Revell re-popped the 1/48 Monogram Thunderstreak with Thunderbirds markings. Sticker was for $29.99 but was 40% off and walked out with it fir $19 after tax. PEABhMo.jpg

Anyone in the States have a Hobby lobby nearby thats where I found this. I already have a couple of good options for the revellogram build so may hold on to it for awhile ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

23 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just found this on a shelf at a local craft store, looks like Revell re-popped the 1/48 Monogram Thunderstreak with Thunderbirds markings. Sticker was for $29.99 but was 40% off and walked out with it fir $19 after tax. 

Got a couple of different Monogram/Revell boxings among other 1/48 F-84F kits in the 'to do' pile and it is by far my preferred kit , makes up into a nice solid model that epitomises the Thunderstreak.     Had a look on Scalemates and could not see that particular boxing , does it come with the full selection of pylons/tanks etc. or have these been sacrificed for the Thunderbirds finish?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Des said:

Got a couple of different Monogram/Revell boxings among other 1/48 F-84F kits in the 'to do' pile and it is by far my preferred kit , makes up into a nice solid model that epitomises the Thunderstreak.     Had a look on Scalemates and could not see that particular boxing , does it come with the full selection of pylons/tanks etc. or have these been sacrificed for the Thunderbirds finish?

Yes it comes with all the tanks, the iron bombs (Mk.117’s), and the Mk.7 Nuclear store. I couldn't find it either on scalemates but if you google Revell F-84 it comes up in sales adds. 

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/10794043

https://www.1001hobbies.com/148-scale-aircraft-model-kits/484714-revell-4009815996-f-84f-thunderstreak-thunderbirds-31445059964.html

I placed it next to my monogram kit and looks to be the same molds ? Give me a 1/2 hour and I can photo the sprues for you.

Ok so Im positive this is the Monogram kit now and photo # 6 shows why. LW7512f.jpg

Decals look to be decent quality, though they will be extra to my needs. GqWq0Du.jpg

Ive had these in the stash since 1991 and will be going with one of them most likely the Black & White checked tail. cK5e5yS.jpg

jm7r6Pa.jpg

Mk.7 on this sprue, ⬆️ upper left corner. 

EI8FVRc.jpg

7y2fbdn.jpg

uFr0zcT.jpg

All tanks and Mk.117’s are in the kit. 

bbru8Jh.jpg

Hope these help ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2