Honda RC213 V '14 REPSOL Tamiya 1/12

More great workmanship and attention to detail Olivier.

For your stand wheel problem would it not be possible to resin cast some using the Tamiya one's as masters for the mould?

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hamden said:

would it not be possible to resin cast some using the Tamiya one's as masters for the mould?

Thanks Roger!

Maybe it is possible, but I don't know how to proceed, especially since they are clear parts...

I have time to think about this problem, since the 2nd bike is yet to build.

Cheers, O

• Like 1

Thanks a lot gamblor for this suggestion. It is good to know such a clear epoxy resin exist, and maybe I will order some. 

But now that my front racing stand is built and painted, it appears that it doesn't give the bike more stability.

That is why I will probably represent only one front stand, while there will be of course 2 rear ones.

Even if I still have a little time to spend on this bike (piping and front fender), I couldn't stand removing it of its straightjacket (the so useful Marco Model jig) and to present it for the first time with both racing stands:

spacer.png

To show the beast with its cowls, I chose to change the cardboard for a Grey one (Meng cutting mat), more suitable with a G.P paddock:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now a word about the mechanic I'm supposed to represent. I got a few weeks ago the Kitano head that is really great.

Pity, Ron was right, the Tamiya body is oversized and the head is too small for such a body. I began to decrease (quite a lot) the neck but it is the whole body that will require a significant reduction, what will not be so simple (probably easier though than when I turned Sir Lawrence of Arabia piggybacking on his bike into Pietro Bordino sitting in his Fiat 806, see the thread dedicated to this build).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, O   

Edit a bit later:

I also had the idea to show the bike with a driver on it. Of course, as you know, the driver will jump the 2nd bike (yet to build...) that will have all cowls assembled, and the combination, boots and helmet are not at all the colors of Honda Repsol. It will be another challenge to change Valentino Rossi with Ducati colors into Marc Marquez with Honda ones, but it is though interesting to see that, except hands that can't hold the handlbars for now, the position of the driver (who is correctly sized, him) is really convincing imho:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

+++

Now a word about the mechanic I'm supposed to represent. I got a few weeks ago the Kitano head that is really great.

Pity, Ron was right, the Tamiya body is oversized and the head is too small for such a body. I began to decrease (quite a lot) the neck but it is the whole body that will require a significant reduction, what will not be so simple (probably easier though than when I turned Sir Lawrence of Arabia piggybacking on his bike into Pietro Bordino sitting in his Fiat 806, see the thread dedicated to this build). +++

I already see you buying a 3D laser scanner, scanning the mechanic, reducing the 3D computer model in size, and 3D print or CNC mill a new smaller mechanic. We all are looking forward!

(Those hands ARE big!)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Thanks a lot gamblor for this suggestion. It is good to know such a clear epoxy resin exist, and maybe I will order some. 

But now that my front racing stand is built and painted, it appears that it doesn't give the bike more stability.

That is why I will probably represent only one front stand, while there will be of course 2 rear ones.

Even if I still have a little time to spend on this bike (piping and front fender), I couldn't stand removing it of its straightjacket (the so useful Marco Model jig) and to present it for the first time with both racing stands:

spacer.png

To show the beast with its cowls, I chose to change the cardboard for a Grey one (Meng cutting mat), more suitable with a G.P paddock:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Pity, Ron was right, the Tamiya body is oversized and the head is too small for such a body. I began to decrease (quite a lot) the neck but it is the whole body that will require a significant reduction, what will not be so simple (probably easier though than when I turned Sir Lawrence of Arabia piggybacking on his bike into Pietro Bordino sitting in his Fiat 806, see the thread dedicated to this build).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, O   

Edit a bit later:

I also had the idea to show the bike with a driver on it. Of course, as you know, the driver will jump the 2nd bike (yet to build...) that will have all cowls assembled, and the combination, boots and helmet are not at all the colors of Honda Repsol. It will be another challenge to change Valentino Rossi with Ducati colors into Marc Marquez with Honda ones, but it is though interesting to see that, except hands that can't hold the handlbars for now, the position of the driver (who is correctly sized, him) is really convincing imho:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Absolutely incredible work!

• Thanks 1

Hello my friends,

I brought the last necessary corrections to my build and the latter is now finished.

I invite you to see the last pics in the RFI section below:

Thanks a lot to all for watching, encouraging and helping!

Cheers, O

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello to all,

I wish to all of you a happy 2023 year! Peace, health, human rights preserved everywhere (we can dream...), and many good moments with your family and your favorite hobby!!

My 2nd bike is going on, and should be over soon (maybe end of January). The experience of the first build, the bit less level of detail added to not posting my progress allowed me to go faster.

Here are below some pics giving an idea of what is ever done and what is yet to do:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 6

Happy New Year Olivier, and may your dreams come true... that would be nice, wouldn't it? The Marquez bike looks to be another incredible effort, good luck with finishing it!

• Thanks 1

Best wishes for the New Year to you and your family Olivier

Your second bike is looking superb well up to your exacting standards!

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello chaps!

After a little break (a few weeks), I got back to work my mechanist figure. It is definitely not perfect, but I consider it is acceptable and will bring something more near the Pedrosa bike. I had first to reduce him quite a lot (see below the monster). As it was made from a very old polystyren Tamiya figure, I had to fill the empty insides with resin (Brown Stuff). Then began the long carving to get an acceptable 1/12 figure. It appeared though that the Kitano head I had bought would be too small for this body. I just got his ears back, and grafted them on the Tamiya mechanist head. I also had to modify the right leg, in order my figure to be more stable (I didn't want it to fall on the bike next door!). When I considered the sculpture was acceptable, then the painting job could begin. Used the docs I could get of the Honda GP mechanists in 2014, I painted the outtfit Night Blue. I ordered and glued 2-3 mm flock nylon from Green Stuff World to figure hairs, and then came the decal step. Here too, I used docs and found logos in the Net, that were printed at scale on White custom decal paper. Most of the decals lacking contrast, I had to paint over them, a very delicate job..

Finally, a coat of Marabu satin was applied and here is the result:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

In situation near the bikes:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am now going to focus on the Marc Marquez figure that will be another challenge…

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Hello again chaps,

I have been silent for a long time, but I was though still working on my Marc Marquez figure project.

It has been a long and painstaking job, but it is now very close from being over.

For practical reasons, I had decided to work separately on the head (helmet) and on the body. More, the neck was a bit too long and it was anyway necessary to decrease it.

I am waiting for the Gravity 2K Gloss total curing, and then the head will be assembled on the body.

It will be time to place my figure on the bike, I look forward, and pics will of course be done to show the final result.

In the meantime, here are below the links to the short videos I just made and posted in YouTube:

All the best to all (hoping you will not have completely forgotten me) and a merry Christmas to all 🥳🎄!!

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 8

Hi again,

First thanks for your likes and kind comments (Thierry, your Mercedes pics are really great, hats off!! 👍 ).

Here are below the first pics I made of my Marquez figure:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step: Marquez on the beast. This will be for a bit later, since I am in holiday now. 

The question for me now is: what should be my next project?

Come-back to the Mustang?

Or build the Porsche 934 Vaillant Tamiya at 1/12 for which I bought an expensive aftermarket detail set? I should be able to see the real car that is exposed at the Brussels car museum (my daughter is living at Brussels and we will spend a few days in the very next days there).

All the best, Olivier

• Like 9

Wow, Marquez is really something else, very cool!

Merry Christmas Olivier. 

What next? I, for one, would really like to see that Mustang back on your bench 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Welcome back Olivier, your Marquez figure is a work of art!

As to what's next I agree with Jeroen I to would like to see the Mustang back on the bench

Seasons Greetings to you and yours              Roger

• Thanks 1

Good to see you on the forum again, Olivier. 

Your biker looks great. Well done. 

Thanks for your best wishes and the same for you and your loved ones. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/25/2023 at 12:18 PM, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Thanks a lot my friends!

My decision is made, I will try first to finish the Indy 500 Pace car Mustang.

Cheers, O

Ohh great. Love to see that one finished (and my guess is that you would like to see it finished too)

• Like 1

Hello my friends,

First of all a happy New Year to you all!

After little corrections (fe the red portions of the boots were a bit too shiny), here it is finally, my Marquez figure is now in place on his bike:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hello chaps,

I was not totally happy with my previous pics, for 2 reasons:

1) the Marquez figure was not completely finished, as I had not yet assembled the fingers (2 ones at left, 4 ones at right), cut at the beginning of the work.

2) the bikes and figures were placed on the showcase base.

Here are the very last pics I made, on a Black cardboard:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now I leave you to go back to my Ford Mustang build, that I am strongly determined to complete.

Cheers, O

• Like 5