Honda RC213 V '14 REPSOL Tamiya 1/12

3 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

When it's done in autumn 2025 I'd like to see a comparison to an OOB build. 😁

Hopefully a bit earlier, Jochen...

As I still have to wait for the 0,3 mm cables, I am gonna focus now on the fuel tank (step 21 of the Tam instructions, p. 7 of the Top studio ones).

Cheers, O

Olivier, remember today we are in day #130 of this 3 day special operation to see a simpler more OOBish build but xxx and "everything goes according to plan".

I think the result of this exhaust pipe holder looks quite "acceptable". 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

I'd like to see a comparison to an OOB build

I said in a previous post that I could decide to build a second bike with cowls in place. This 2nd bike would be the Marc Marquez one (this one is Dani Pedrosa's one). That would make sense.

Could  I decide to build this 2nd bike really OOB?

I don’t think so, as you can imagine that I will be strongly tempted to improve it. Less time would be spent on areas hidden by the cowls, but the same care would be brought on all visible areas cowls in place.

I had really built (in 3 weeks) an OOB version of the Fiat 806, after 13 months spent on a Partial Scratch Built one, to enhance the deep improvements brought (much more important than for this bike as the Protar/ Italeri kit was poor what we really can't say about the Tamiya Honda Repsol). 

The advantage of such an option would be that my Mustang would not be left apart for too much time...

But things are a bit different this time, as in my mind, if I build another Honda Repsol, it will be aiming to be long term exposed near this one, just with cowls in place (my OOB Fiat was exposed just a little time).

We shall see, I have not made a final decision on this matter…

On 04/07/2022 at 07:48, Totally Mad Olivier said:

We shall see, I have not made a final decision on this matter…

Hi oliver
More original you make 1/2 fairing, 1/2 screen and 1/2 saddle...as I did with the bodywork of my Fiat 806.
You place everything on a turntable and we will enjoy watching it all      ;o)

Manu

• Thanks 1

Thanks Manu for this interesting suggestion of a cutaway.

Like each one of the options, it has advantages and disadvantages.

Let’s consider them:

1) Cowls in place:

ad: it is the way we are used to see the bike. The cowls colors are very nice and fun. It is also like that I initially wanted to build it (I had no idea I would go so far in detailing)

dis: it’s a pity to have spent so much time on fine details that will be more or less hidden

2) Cowls on a separate fairing:

ad: the bike is showed naked, showing all the details usually invisible

dis: esthetically (for my taste), the bike is nicer cowls in place

3) Manu´s suggestion (cutaway):

ad: allows to see in a single build the bike with and without cowls (not necessary to build a 2 nd bike). The amazing build Manu made of the 806 gives a good perception of this option advantages. 

dis: in reality, except maybe in a museum (and yet), the real bike is never showed like that

4) 2 bikes, one with one without cowls:

ad: allows to see Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa bikes side by side, one with, one without cowls. Combines in fact the advantages of options 1 and 2

dis: - my Mustang is left aside for a longer time…

Conclusion: I will probably choose one of the 2 last options. I personally would prefer the last one, to avoid cutting "artificially" all the cowls in the middle, but I admit that the Manu's cutaway is very convincing.

Notice that the 2nd bike, even built with care (not an OOB, definitely), should take much less time, as I would not spend time to share here the build (only the final result would be showed in the RFI section), then because it would be a bit more simple (probably use of the Top Studio set 23175 instead of the 29016 one), then because of the experience I gained with this first build. In fact, the idea to build a 2 nd bike doesn’t bother me.

Cheers, O

Hi Olivier

The idea I had of cutting the bodywork in 2 is a success on my car.
Whether it will be as harmonious and successful on a motorcycle, I can't know, but I think the result can be pleasant.
It was an idea like any other.

Note: I think the fairing may already be cut in the middle, if so, that may give an idea of the rendering.

In any case, very nice work, it's superb.

Manu

• Thanks 1

Hello my friends,

This time, the Top Studio fuel tank step is really over, with the adding of last connectors and cables:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Now will I place the rear part of the fuel tank (set A3/A19/A23), that is headed itself by the seat cowl? Not sure, we shall see...

About the issue of different options, you probably guessed which one has my preference. Manu's suggestion is definitely interesting and original, but showing the 2 Honda bikes in competition side by side, one with its fairing in place, one without, revealing the complexity of these beasts, is the most exciting project for me. And why not add a mechanic working on Pedrosa's bike?

When I had built several years ago the Fiat 806, I had represented the driver, Pietro Bordino, but at some point, I wondered if I wouldn't add a mechanic. At the time, I had done research to find mechanics figurines at 1/12 and bought old Tamiya ones to a Japanese seller on ebay.

I had finally renounced to use one or more of them, and they were sleeping ever since in my garage. Here they are:

spacer.png

These sets instructions are only in Japanese, but it is of course not a problem. The decals are very old but anyway, they are not adapted to a 2014 GP Honda team. I began to search pics showing Honda mechanics and found fe this:

spacer.png

I decided to assemble the first mechanic of the pic above (Wheel changing). Here he is in situation:

spacer.png

N.B: of course, the bike will be removed from the jig, just hold by the racing stand...

Cheers, O

P.S: Manu, if you could explain me how could get such the incredibly expressive and realistic head you could get for your Fiat 806 driver, I would be very grateful.

• Like 4

Your welcome O :)

If you refine your search...you can find pre-painted versions at just a little more cost...very lifelike finishes.

Just be aware...the Tamiya figures are considerably 'over scale' for 1/12...I had intended using the standing mechanic with my 312T build...but he was huge next to it !...one of his legs almost as wide as the seat 😱

Ron

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Thanks a lot Ron for this suggestion. I found this in ebay:

spacer.png

It is a portrait of Takeshi Kitano, a Japanese filmmaker. It could become a Honda mechanic at my behest 😉!

Cheers, O

Kudos for including my favourite director in your outstanding project! 

The world is full of surprises. 😁

'Beat' Takeshi actually had a serious scooter accident that left him with trademark facial twitches in his acting roles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, silver911 said:

Your welcome O :)

If you refine your search...you can find pre-painted versions at just a little more cost...very lifelike finishes.

Just be aware...the Tamiya figures are considerably 'over scale' for 1/12...I had intended using the standing mechanic with my 312T build...but he was huge next to it !...one of his legs almost as wide as the seat 😱

Ron

You marked my reply with a 'confused' face Olivier...so let me clarify what I said.

Pre-painted refers to the heads you can buy...in that they come ready painted/finished...which is the case with the one Manu used on his figure...as opposed to the unpainted one you found.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=1%2F12+painted+head+sculpt&_sacat=0

Over scale refers to the actual size/proportions of Tamiyas figures...in that they are closer to 1/10...which may require some careful adjustment to the figure when fitting the new head from Ebay.

As I said...for my needs...the figure size/proportions issue was too noticeable next to my 1/12 Ferrari 312T (I used a MFH figure of Nikki Lauda instead)...however...it should be far less obvious next to a bike such as yours.

Hope that helps?

Ron

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, silver911 said:

Dear Ron,

I must say I had not noticed that my mechanic figure was over scale but you are certainly right, what is obviously a big problem for me, especially since you take in account that Japanese people are generally not big and tall. OK, his crouching position mitigates a bit the impact, but the problem remains for me...

Oh, funny, I was writing these words when I got your last reply, that reassures me a bit.

About the prepainted question, the seller of Takeshi 3D head proposes this option. I will contact him about that.

3 hours ago, slippers said:

Kudos for including my favourite director in your outstanding project! 

Thanks slippers for your kind and encouraging words about my project.

To be honest, I had heard about Takeshi Kitano but I am not sure I saw one of his movies. I was just happy to find a Japanese face for my figure...

Cheers, O

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

To be honest, I had heard about Takeshi Kitano but I am not sure I saw one of his movies.

I can heartily recommend :

Hana-bi

Dolls

Sonatine

A Scene at the Sea

But his most accessible film is Zaitochi. 

Sorry for taking this off track, but I can't pass up the chance to mention his masterpieces (IMHO, of course)! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello chaps,

Sorry if my build (already very slow) is delayed by the crazier and crazier project that sprouted in my head, but I'm now focused on the characters that could take place in my "diorama" (if I may use this term). Why "characterS"? Just because I wonder now if I could not add, in addition to my mechanic, the Repsol driver Marc Marquez. Indeed, while researching the Net for the mechanic, I found several 1/12 Minichamps figures. Pity, among the latter, no figure of Marquez but an interesting one of Valentino Rossi testing his bike for the 2010 GP:

spacer.png

I also found Casey Stoner figures, but the head is not helmeted and, anyway, the suit is also different from Marquez one...

I decide to order this Rossi figure.

Now about the mechanic, the ebay seller replied quickly to my questions:

spacer.png

Remains the question of my mechanic size. I will quickly build the Tamiya driver (see above), not to use it but to make measures and have an idea of the over scale mentioned by Ron. Ron that I thank warmly for his very useful contribution...

Cheers, O

Edit a bit later:

spacer.png

Well, Ron, this figure doesn't seem to be so over scale. 

On the other hand, the head of these figures (as well the driver than the mechanic) is very big, even taken in account that Tamiya gave them a pretty thick hair (these figures were created in the 70's 😉).

I measure approximately a head size of 74 mm. Even keeping only 64 mm to take in consideration the thick hairs, 

64 x 12 = 77 cm head size!! (I don't have a big head but for me, it's 59 cm).

Now as I will change the head for Kitano's one, this won't be a problem...

Edit even a bit later: The Kitano head and the Rossi figure are both ordered. I may come-back to my build for now...

Edited by Totally Mad Olivier
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

spacer.png                               Now that  your little joke over. Your plan sounds like a Winner. 

amusez-vous dans votre travail continu

Edited by Prop Duster
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Hello chaps,

Sorry if my build (already very slow) is delayed by the crazier and crazier project that sprouted in my head, but I'm now focused on the characters that could take place in my "diorama" (if I may use this term). Why "characterS"? Just because I wonder now if I could not add, in addition to my mechanic, the Repsol driver Marc Marquez. Indeed, while researching the Net for the mechanic, I found several 1/12 Minichamps figures. Pity, among the latter, no figure of Marquez but an interesting one of Valentino Rossi testing his bike for the 2010 GP:

spacer.png

I also found Casey Stoner figures, but the head is not helmeted and, anyway, the suit is also different from Marquez one...

spacer.png

Remains the question of my mechanic size. I will quickly build the Tamiya driver (see above), not to use it but to make measures and have an idea of the over scale mentioned by Ron. Ron that I thank warmly for his very useful contribution...

Cheers, O

Edit a bit later:

spacer.png

On the other hand, the head of these figures (as well the driver than the mechanic) is very big, even taken in account that Tamiya gave them a pretty thick hair (these figures were created in the 70's 😉).

I measure approximately a head size of 74 mm. Even keeping only 64 mm to take in consideration the thick hairs, 

Edit even a bit later: The Kitano head and the Rossi figure are both ordered. I may come-back to my build for now...

The irony of using Rossi for Marquez, seeing as they are not on each other’s Christmas card list to say the very least.  Factor in that Rossi was one of the taller riders and that his leathers went over his boots rather than the more typical tucked inside.  Mind you, you might need to look at twelfth scale children for Pedrosa 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A prepainted head? At first I thought "Seriously, you must be joking!" or "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Totally Mad Olivier", but then, this is an easy quick out of the box build.

On the other hand, if we could get a tutorial how this was done, that would be nice (I think that driver's head looks "acceptable"):

fiat%20806%20grand%20prix%2097.jpg

Found here:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Hello chaps,

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, O

Edit a bit later:

spacer.png

Looking at the picture...he does appear to be less of a 'hulk' compared to the mechanic...so yes...if you find him acceptable/workable...have at it.

It will be interesting to see a comparison with Rossi when he arrives.

I would keep in mind that in today's pits...and indeed in recent seasons...the mechanics seem to favour shirts and trousers/shorts...as opposed to all in one coveralls...just a thought 'O'

Ron

Edited by silver911
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, silver911 said:

It will be interesting to see a comparison with Rossi when he arrives

Indeed, Ron, I look forward to see if both seem to be at the same scale.

3 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

On the other hand, if we could get a tutorial how this was done, that would be nice (I think that driver's head looks "acceptable"):

Like you, I had been totally amazed when Manu had shown the head of his Pietro Bordino (the Fiat 806 driver).

If, like Ron seemed to suggest, it is a prepainted face like the one I just ordered, then we're dealing with real artists. Btw, if I decided to order the prepainted version, it is because for now, my skills don't allow me to get such a result.

Sometimes, you must be able to delegate...

Anyway, thanks to all for your interest to my project.

Cheers, O

33 minutes ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

Indeed, Ron, I look forward to see if both seem to be at the same scale.

Like you, I had been totally amazed when Manu had shown the head of his Pietro Bordino (the Fiat 806 driver).

If, like Ron seemed to suggest, it is a prepainted face like the one I just ordered, then we're dealing with real artists. Btw, if I decided to order the prepainted version, it is because for now, my skills don't allow me to get such a result.

Sometimes, you must be able to delegate...

Anyway, thanks to all for your interest to my project.

Cheers, O

Just so you both (Olivier and Jochen) know...and without wishing to cause controversy or ill feeling with Manu...the 'suggestion' that it is in fact a pre-painted head for an action figure is for Manu to either confirm or deny.

All I will say is this...I myself was a figure painter for over 40 years and...believe me when I say that I personally never reached such dizzy heights of realism in my pieces...and know of very few who have...the best being Koreans...although not exclusively so.

What is more important to me personally is...we each choose a solution that we are comfortable with...be it to use or commission the work of others...to be used in our pieces.

It never mattered to me if the clients claimed my work as their own.

I am enjoying your work Olivier...and will only comment from a personal perspective in future.

Regards

Ron

• Thanks 1