Honda RC213 V '14 REPSOL Tamiya 1/12

Hello my friends,

3 coats of GX112 Gloss Clear Coar thinned with Mr Color LT have been sprayed on the rims. I could get them so nicely shiny.

Time to assemble the tyres and apply on the latter the XF-85 Tyre Black, or more exactly a mix 90% XF-85 10% XF-2 (Flat White), as I found a bit too Dark the XF-85.

Masks were placed on the rims (see above) and the mix was airbrushed.

You may notice the slight difference of color between the original Tamiya tyres and what I get with my mix:

spacer.png

error: on the rear tyre, not on the rear rim, of course…

My wheels are now in the Riviera dehydrator for 30 mn at 45°. I should be able to apply in a little while the GX112 thinned with the same Mr Color LT.

As I said above, the Glossy surface I will get will help to apply the decals on the tyres, and a satin coat will finally be applied...

Cheers, O

• Like 2

Dear Ade,

You must know that I am not a fast builder.

The few free time the extreme care I bring to each step and the mistakes I sometimes do are the cause of such a slowness.

That is why, sorry, here is below another pic showing tyres and wheels, after removal of the masks:

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Totally Mad Olivier said:

You must know that I am not a fast builder.

Me neither, so I know how you feel.

I'm finding your work a lot more interesting and informative than any conventional out-of-box WIP. Those wheels are outstanding now.

Getting ahead a bit, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what you may do with Tamiya's very basic and incorrect brake/clutch fluid cylinders. I'm currently working on a (2nd) Panigale and I've made new cylinders for it from clear sprue, which will be mounted in the correct place rather than on the yoke. As I'm working on my Honda's metal fork, I'm going to take the opportunity to do the same for that, too.

Edited by Ade H
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ade H said:

I'm particularly looking forward to seeing what you may do with Tamiya's very basic and incorrect brake/clutch fluid cylinders

Thanks a lot Ade, glad to know you enjoy my thread.

I ordered the 14130 Top Studio Super Detail-up set (there is another one, less expensive and more basic) that includes a great clutch and many other highly detailed stuff. 

I look forward to get this set and also the other ones still missing, including a Chain set that should be quite challenging...

But you will have to be very patient (like me) since I have another build in (very very slow!) progress, that is not a long quiet river...

A little update before leaving you for tonight:

spacer.png

I will wait to have my decals placed on the front tyre to apply the satin coat...

Cheers, O

• Like 3

Looking good on the rims, I found another of this kit in the week, so now have three (call me greedy). I'd like to build more bikes but my helicopter theme keeps me away from them!

Colin

• Like 1

Hello my friends,

I still have problems with my Mustang (in another area!) and as I am still waiting for the TD Super detail Set, I thought I could begin to modify some of the Tamiya parts that will be improved by this detail set. 

The latter instructions were downloaded in Spotmodel (fe) and I could so go on without having got yet the set.

The 2nd kit was sometimes useful to show you the modif brought following these instructions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Frame (front):

spacer.png

Frame (rear right):

spacer.png

Swing arm (rear right):

spacer.png

N.B: the spokes grooves, you probably understood…

Cheers, O

• Like 2

Hello my friends,

I go on preparing the parts, assembling them and removing the seams. An example with the undercoal:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edit later: the Tamiya Liquid cement didn't work to glue the button. I finally had to use classically the CA.

Cheers, O

• Like 2

Hello my friends,

A new little update, regarding the upper cowl:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I am still waiting for the Top Studio detail sets. In the meantime, a coat of Gravity Surface Primer has been applied on many parts and sets:

spacer.png

spacer.png

N.B: I don't regret the purchase of my dehydrator. I use it permanently, to dry as well paints, cements, parts of my airbrush after cleaning etc. It is btw placed at hand, right next to my booth:

spacer.png

Cheers, O

P.S: Some months ago (maybe 1 year, I don't remember), I met a problem with Oupsmodel (on which I used to place my orders up to that moment) about a product return (Proxxon SP/E), . They said an element was missing in the box, while I was sure I had put it. They didn't trust me and deducted the amount of this item (about 10€) of my credit. It is of course not for the 10€ (I am not 10€ away) but I thought that it was really unfair and

very far from my conception of a customer/service provider relationship.  I decided to order on other sites.

Well, some days ago, I had decided that it was time to forgive and forget.

But it appeared that my account was locked.

I sent them an e-mail, no reply.

I phoned them, the (very unpleasant) secretary said that the boss was not here, asked me to recall next week.

And that is what I just did.

The same unpleasant lady said that she had sent my e-mail to the boss, and that if my account was still blocked, it meant that the latter didn't want to unlock it.

I wanted to share with you my awful experience of the Oupsmodel customer service.

I will go on ordering on Passion 132, among others...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I just keep my fingers crossed the primer and paint will not produce any new "devil's spot(s)".

Oupsmodel? A strange way of conducting a business, cutting the 10€ AND banning you. Maybe they feel cheated as much as you do and they fear "future complications", maybe they just don't like customers with returns or complaints.

4 hours ago, Jochen Barett said:

I just keep my fingers crossed the primer and paint will not produce any new "devil's spot(s)".

I am sure there won't be such a problem with this Tamiya quality kit.

I have built quite a lot of kits and I never saw such a thing.

I go on patiently working to fix the Mustang states of surface problems but I will show results only when all will be OK.

You can't imagine how frustrating it is to see these cracks reappear while you thought it was OK this time.

And this happened so many times...

About Oupsmodel, it was the first time I had to send back a product, while I had ordered many many times on their site.

For me, they are just as...... and that's all.

Sorry for this rant of which I'm not accustomed.

Cheers, O

• Like 1

Hello chaps,

A little update, as, after a quite long necessary time to get fine surfaces free of defects, the White and Black have been applied:

spacer.png

For the White, I first tried to use the TS-26 from the can but the result was disappointing. After corrections, the Gravity Titanium White gave much better results.

For the Black, I applied the TS-14, that was satisfying.

And a few hours later, the (expensive but really great) TS-83 Metallic Silver was applied from my airbrush on the black parts: frame, swing arm and exhaust pipes:

spacer.png

Even a bit later, I applied a thin coat of Titanium Silver X-32 enamel thinned with Mr Color LT on the exhaust pipes on which was applied first the TS-83. The X-32 suits better fir the latter and it is btw the color suggested in the instructions.

spacer.png

N.B: the bottoms of the exhaust pipes has been cut as they are included in the Top Studio détail set to come soon hopefully…

Cheers, O

• Like 1

Hello my friends,

A new update, as I built, painted and applied decals on the front fork, the rear damper and the brake caliper, some parts of these elements being included in the Tamiya detail set:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Ade H said:

Are you going to do any oil paint rendering on those exhausts, Olivier? It gets that nice blotchy patina.

Ade H,

the X-32 applied is just a base coat.
A long job is yet to come on them, with shades of transparent Smoke, Blue, Titanium Gold etc. and stripes to add (maybe using Bare Metal Foil) as we may see on the real bike:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

To represent as well as possible these shades, I have several options at hand:

spacer.png

Cheers, O

• Like 3

Hello my friends,

I finally got today the last detail sets I was waiting for, coming from Hobbyeasy, Hong-Kong.

I thank here Didier, the author of the YouTube video, who suggested me to order on this site rather than on Spotmodel. It is indeed much cheaper, even if I had to pay 3€ of custom fees.

The least I may say discovering these Top Studio detail sets is that they breathe quality and that it will take a lot of time and patience to include them in the build, especially for the Chain set, incredibly detailed (too much??):

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

But the Super detail set is not left out:

spacer.png

spacer.png

N.B: I won't reproduce here the instructions of this set, as unlike the Chain set, it is easy to find and download in Internet.

I also got in the same package the TD  Footpeg set and the Hobby Design air valves:

spacer.png

Well, hours and hours enjoying modeling to come definitely, but a unique extremely detail model at the end. Make the synthesis of all these detail sets in addition to the Tamiya instructions will ever be a challenge requiring reflection and organisation.

And knowing that I have also to go on with the Mustang project, you will understand that the end of both builds is not for tomorrow...

Now to end this post, my trials with Alclad mentioned above:

spacer.png

N.B: the Tamiya exhaust bottoms have been cut, they will be advantageously replaced by turned metal TD parts included in the MD 29016 set. A coat of Metal Primer  should allow to apply shades on these bottoms…

Cheers, O

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jochen Barett said:

I like the chain set (WOW!), that's what I call "a quick and easy out of the box weedend build". :laugh:

As I said above, Jochen, you know me better than I do myself. Honestly, when I decided to begin this build, I thought it would be an OOB. Btw, I ignored so many detail sets did exist for this kit, and it is you, in particular, by putting links on YouTube, who learned me about that.

Now I don't regret at all building this bike using detail sets...

Cheers, O