DIY stand for holding AFV models

Geo1966

I have seen quite a few pictures of people using a stand which they bolt to the hull of the models they are building.

My question is how do i make one please? The cheaper and easier the better.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year to you all.

George

• 3 weeks later...

cheapest and the most easy way is a length of wooden dowel and blu tak/double sided tape/white tak/super glue and jobs a good 'un

when I am painting figures I use corks stuck/glues to the under side of the bases

• Thanks 1

'Cheaper and easier' sounds like me! I improvise jigs and tools to suit each build, with some things getting multiple use.

If you check my Conqueror Mk2 build from last year you will see a little something I knocked up to support it while I worked on the tracks, but which, in conjunction with a machine vice also held the hull vertically during other phases of construction.

Basically, as Wyatt alludes to, any scrap material and a bit of imagination can do the job.

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Thanks 1

Well i spent a bit of time in the garage yesterday and came up with this, my MK I painting stand. Currently using blue tak as Wyatt suggested, but might try and add a bolt and wing nut for models with turrets.

4f73a969-4cdf-4ddd-a3fa-4f8d9029a852.jpg f8cb8471-bd01-4dd6-b571-05f8034c542b.jpg

George

• Like 3

Just use some strong magnets, that way you don’t need to drill a hole in the underside for a nut and bolt, epoxy the magnets onto the holder and place a couple into the lower hull and you should have a strong bond for building/painting. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Geo1966 said:

Good idea @Dads203. What magnets do you use please?

I’m posh, I bought one of the RPToolz handles a few years ago at Telford, 

They use 10mm rare earth magnets on the handle for 1/35 kits so I’d have a quick look on Amazon for the same. 

http://www.rptoolz.com/?page_id=170

• Thanks 1

I really like the RP Toolz handles and have a couple of them that I use regualrly (for 1/48 armourprojects) - purchsed mine at Telford direct from RP Toolz (like Dads203 did) about three years ago.

If you were considering building something similar then the only suggestion I would make is perhaps to use two magnets at either end (placed 'tandem' rather than 'in line'). I've found a couple of times that the model tips slightly because it sits on a small circular magnet. Putting two of them side by side would reduce that risk significantly because the attachment point would be wider.

• Like 1

Thats interesting. Do you find you need to stick the metal discs in the model as they suggest?

Thinking if that is the case its worth getting some extra magnets to use (and reuse).

George 

1 hour ago, Geo1966 said:

Thats interesting. Do you find you need to stick the metal discs in the model as they suggest?

Thinking if that is the case its worth getting some extra magnets to use (and reuse).

George 

The internal magnets are essential as without them, the model isn't held in place. I don't 'stick' them as such - if you mean gluing them in place? I just add and remove the magnets as necessary when I attach the model to the handle. They comfortably hold to the handle magnets through the thickness of the kit hull.

You get some additional magnetic discs with the handle (10 I think, from memory).

• Thanks 1

I usually make do with clothes pegs and superglue, the clothes pegs are a good size to wedge into the holes in the top of the tamiya painting stand. The superglue and wood combination is brittle when you apply pressure in the right direction and come off easy when you want them to. It works in 1/72 at least.

AVvXsEjOs8wuPrr1StcmLEbWDLKLVXJVoHFrIHIH