Beaufighter Mk.I Tailplanes: Modelling Help

Greased Lightning

Firstly, happy new year to everyone!

I'm looking for some advice...

I'm building the Tamiya 1/48th scale Beaufighter Mk.VI and back dating it to a Mk.I, as flown by 30 squadron RAAF during the Battle of the Bismark Sea. I am in the process of replacing the tailplanes with resin flat versions which I have sourced from RedRoo Models (https://www.redroomodels.com/product/red-roo-beaufighter-flat-tailplane-1-48/).

The replacement tailplanes are not of the same depth as the kit's and therefore I've been filling and sanding from the roots on the kit to blend in with the aftermarket resin tailplanes. Am I doing the right thing here, or am I just making a blo*dy mess? Any advice would be very helpful. 🙂

Many thanks.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Greased Lightning
Change emoji

Ouch- I see what you mean! A little too late to help you on this build, but NEXT time, (and I hope there isn't a next time for you!) might I suggest test fitting the resin stabs/parts so that the upper resin part is even with the kit root; then hold a fine point pen/pencil against the lower stab part at the root and trace a line all around, from front to back. Then sand just past the line you drew; that should get you very, very close to a good match between the resin stab and kit root. That way, any mismatch that might be left will be  on the bottom where it is not nearly so apparent. (The mismatch is most most likely caused by the resin shrinking as it cured, which is a fairly common  problem, especially if the casting is not de-aerated sufficiently or not poured in a vacuum. That's a lot of work, ahead of you,  but I bet you can get it done! Good luck!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text, corrected spelling