Tried my first bit of weathering today - Mitsubishi AM62 Zero

I'm usually an OOB type modeller finished off with brush paints i.e 10 year old level 😂but having a fair bit of spare time today as the family went to the cinema I thought I'd try to weather an old model I had laying around that the Grandsons had broken the undercarriage leg off of. 

It looked all right but rather bland and being mostly one colour I thought it would be an ideal test bed for my first attempt at weathering. 

Here it is - what do you think?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Neil.C
  • Like 24

Hi,

it looks pretty good for a first attempt.

I have just finished the same Zero and I decided it had to be weathered. The really challenging part is underneath, with the exhaust stains, etc.

Have a go at it if it is not already done. The upper side looks just fine.

Well done.

JR

And a great new year to you and your family.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

it could have been a hard landing on the Akagi....

Or a present from a burst of .50s, courtesy of a passing Hellcat ?

• Like 2

Indeed it’s a good start, but it looks not so absolutely convincing for me. Hope you don’t mind my critics….

Weathering is a difficult job. I bought the book Modelling school  an initiation to the aircraft weathering from Jamie Haggo. I can recommend it very much. I have learned a lot. Today I tried the flicking grunge technique on a desert Spitfire…..

This techniques look like yours, but a little more decent. Combined with other techniques you will get really convincing models. But it needs patience.

I had so much failures that I nearly want to quit all modeling. But one day, step by step it works. Good idea from you to gather experience on an old model. I am sure will have much fun with your future models and weathering techniques.

Happy new year 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your  encouragement. 👍

My modelling is really junior school stuff as I do tend to run out of patience but I definitely think the weathering improved it somewhat and I guess I'll be trying this type of stuff a bit more in future.

Happy New Year everyone!

My only suggestion is that the weathering isn’t consistent along the wings.  Some sections look much dirtier than others.  It won’t alway be even but in my mind more consistent.  Take that with a grain of salt because I only started weathering the past couple builds myself

• Thanks 1

I think it looks pretty good for a first go and hat's off to you for having the courage to show it online.

Are you working to a reference photo? Colour photos of this particular aircraft won't be easy to find but you can be guided by any single engine fighter of the era. Even if you don't exactly follow it, the picture will help you lots, I promise. Better by far than copying other models, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A good start in the field of artistry called weathering!

The secret of successful (=convincing) weathering is: CAUSE and EFFECT.

Where would oil leaks appear? How would the oil be spread by the airstream?

Which hatches and covers would regularly be opened for re-arming, engine checks, servicing, etc.? They would be the most likely to show chafing and wear along the edges and around the fasteners.

How does exhaust smudging follow the airflow over the wing?

What kind of environment does the plane operate in? Muddy fields, clean hardstands or dusty desert conditions would all leave different (or none!) traces on the wheels and the underside.

Et cetera ad infinitum. 😉

A lot of different cumulative and understated effects, patiently applied one after the other…

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

A good start in the field of artistry called weathering!

The secret of successful (=convincing) weathering is: CAUSE and EFFECT.

Where would oil leaks appear? How would the oil be spread by the airstream?

Which hatches and covers would regularly be opened for re-arming, engine checks, servicing, etc.? They would be the most likely to show chafing and wear along the edges and around the fasteners.

How does exhaust smudging follow the airflow over the wing?

What kind of environment does the plane operate in? Muddy fields, clean hardstands or dusty desert conditions would all leave different (or none!) traces on the wheels and the underside.

Et cetera ad infinitum. 😉

A lot of different cumulative and understated effects, patiently applied one after the other…

Kind regards,

Joachim

Great way of approaching weathering..... I must remember this information 😃😃. Cheers J.

Your model looks good to me, decals look settled in nicely and the tricky canopy looks good.

Too much weathering at 1:72 can look awful.   Less is more ...  A few tiny specks of silver on the cowling would work.

You could make a diorama for the model in that position - assume you no longer have the the other undercarriage.

• Like 1