Made up models sale - advice wanted

Flankerman

Happy New Year everyone.....

I'm having a clear-out of my made-up models - and I'm seeking advice on what price to ask for them

They are mainly Russian/Soviet and are fairly large - for example this Amodel 1/72 scale Brabazon has a wingspan of 38 inches.........

spacer.png

....and this Amodel Myasischev M-59 Bounder is 14 inches....

spacer.png

Any advice on how to sell them (they are not postable) - and what you think they are worth - would be aprreciated.

Ken

Happy New Year Ken,

Best thing to to would be to try 2 or 3 priced at what your think is fair and see what transpires - then you could dig out some proper models and sell for more  !! ( LOL ) - couldn't resist !!

The Brabazon would make a nice exhibit in the Concorde Museum at Filton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello. 

As I 'm sure you're aware, there's quite of number of completed kits on E-Bay. most of the time. The prices seem to start at around £30.00 and I've seen some listings asking for several hundred quid. I must admit that I've had the impression that the sellers find them quite difficult to shift (admittedly, this is more instinct than science at work, here). I would think I've watched around 50 or so in the last two years and only maybe 7 or 8 sold whilst I watched. Before you start selling, it might be worth the effort of watching a number of built-kit listings and seeing how they go (watch for 1-2 months, maybe?). 

A LOT of sellers list their built-kits as "professionally-finished" - a very difficult quality to define, as one modeller's opinion on quality will almost certainly not sync with a second model-maker's view. At shows, I have seen some competition winners that, IMHO, should have been ranked MUCH lower, if they should have been placed in the top-five selection at all. It's a very individual thing. Maybe they were the judges' favourite subject...

Your finished kits look to be made to a very good, clean standard. As previous posters have said, you could try dipping your toe in the water and putting 2-3 kits on E-Bay. You can always reduce your asking-price by £5.00 increments once a week and see if that stimulates buyer-interest. Selling your kits will be a lengthy process. 

I would suggest you start at the kit's UN-BUILT value and maybe add £15 or £20 to that, as a starting-point. It might be worth pointing out in the listing what the original cost of the kit was - not every observer will be fully aware of this. 

I hope this helps.  

Happy New Year. 

Chris. 

• Like 1

Interesting thread,

Like Ken Flankerman I too need to thin out my collection of built models. As Ken said of his models, mine are also not postable so ebaying is not really an option.

Has anyone any experience of using buyers like "Kev's Kitsalvage" suggested above?

Things like this 1/48 Be2c are not going to survive the postal system, no matter how well packed.

BE2c-12.jpg

(Apologies for tagging on to Ken's thread, but it is a subject I have been pondering for a while myself, and hopefully this adds to the discussion).

Cheers

John

• Like 2