Imperial Airways markings - black or blue?

Pin

It is time for designing decals for my Syrinx

My question is what is the colour of markings, are they black or blue? I have seen arguments in favour of both, are there any conclusive evidence?

Also, what is the typeface (font)? 

The Putnam volume on HP states Hannibal had its first public appearance after delivery to Imperial Airways "wearing its name and the owners title painted on the polished aluminium fuselage in dark blue lettering; the registration marks on the rear fuselage and the wings were in black on aluminium-doped fabric."

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The HP 42 was done in blue.

This is the Arctic Decals sheet for the HP 42

https://www.arcticdecals.com/products.html?id=21443/982606

I know that Arctic decals are printed in blue, and so are CMK decals for Empire class boats, whereas Airfix and Contrail decals are in black.

Even the link that you mentioned contains the profile with black lettering, so I am trying to find any factual evidence (not modern profiles) that the registration and / or name plates were in blue or black. 

Imperial Airways specification was that the lettering for mainline passenger aircraft should be in Imperial Blue (often also referred to as Company Blue).  Second line aircraft could have the lettering in black.  Short Brothers clashed with Imperial on this more than once - Scylla and Syrinx were both delivered with black lettering and, despite quite heated correspondence, it is not entirely clear that it was ever changed.  Some of the Empire boats may also have been delivered with black lettering instead of blue.  On the other hand, the two Avro 652s probably should have been delivered with black lettering and were almost certainly delivered with blue, and I have yet to find anything suggesting anyone mentioned it.

The blue colour was very dark.  It was a special colour mixed for Imperial by Dulux, and neither they nor we have any documentation specifying the precise shade.  It is almost certainly identical to BOAC Corporation Blue (also Dulux Special, and unfortunately the same lack of current documentation).  For restoring models in the BA Museum collection, I have used Ford Midnight Blue, courtesy of Halfords, which seems a good match for the samples we can find, although I'd be the first to admit that it is somewhat subjective.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lazy8 said:

Imperial Airways specification was that the lettering for mainline passenger aircraft should be in Imperial Blue (often also referred to as Company Blue).  Second line aircraft could have the lettering in black. 

Was that all lettering or just their title and the aircraft name?

Probably all lettering.  Company title and aircraft name for certain.  The blue being dark, it is very difficult to tell from photographs, and the only surviving documentation relates to errors, so is obviously not giving the full picture.

Postwar, BOAC specified black registrations with blue lettering for company title and so forth (and even then there were plenty of variations), which might lead one to conclude that Imperial were the same, but I don't personally think the photographic evidence backs that up.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 7:42 PM, Pin said:

I know that Arctic decals are printed in blue, and so are CMK decals for Empire class boats, whereas Airfix and Contrail decals are in black.

Even the link that you mentioned contains the profile with black lettering, so I am trying to find any factual evidence (not modern profiles) that the registration and / or name plates were in blue or black. 

My Airfix HP.42 decals were blue:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, AMB said:

Actually those photos are very useful. Although in b/w, comparing the tone of the obviously black tyres on the aircraft, the lettering is not that dark, so surely must be dark blue? 

I don't see decisive difference in the tone in Scylla / Syrinx. 

On 1/2/2022 at 10:15 AM, Mika Jernfors said:

I am not definitely sure about the Scylla/Syrinx colours, but in my opinion the HP.42 planes had dark blue markings.

Regards,

Mika

Arctic Decals

I am somewhat convinced that HP42 were blue. Are you having any plans to release decals for Scylla/Syrinx? Vinyl window frames will also be quite useful

Imperial Airways employee and historian John Stroud said the blue was so dark, you could only tell it wasn't black when you were standing about 10 feet from the fuselage.

So....a very dark 'midnight' blue, not a 'royal'blue .

• Like 3

I have just realised that my HP.42 photo above was a bit too washed out by the flash. Here is a picture of the decal sheet before application which shows a much darker blue, almost black. Hard to believe that they are the same decals in both photos:

spacer.png

Dave

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pin said:

stencils are black, registration/names darky-dark blue. 

That's what I'll go with for my HP42, ties up with the description in the Putnam book.

• 2 weeks later...

Mika, please can you do a set of decals for the 1/144 scale HP42 for the new release of the Airfix kit. As you kindly did the artwork in 1/72 to include the HP42E “Hadrian” these could be included for the 1/144 scale sheet.

I have now received my 1/72 3D printed HP 42 from Toshihiko (Onemanmodel) and will take my time converting it to the Eastern version for completion February 2024. Of course it will be named “Hadrian” 😊

13 minutes ago, Adrian Hills said:

Mika, please can you do a set of decals for the 1/144 scale HP42 for the new release of the Airfix kit. As you kindly did the artwork in 1/72 to include the HP42E “Hadrian” these could be included for the 1/144 scale sheet.

I have now received my 1/72 3D printed HP 42 from Toshihiko (Onemanmodel) and will take my time converting it to the Eastern version for completion February 2024. Of course it will be named “Hadrian” 😊

@Mika Jernfors - Hannibal as well if possible please