Israel orders CH-53K

Slater

5 hours ago, Slater said:

Not much of a surprise there

What surprises me is that at  allegedly close to tripple the price of a Ch-47 the King Stallion is still competitive for the USMC and obviously Israel!

Is it so much better/ efficient/....???

I believe the CH-53K can carry a heavier payload farther then the Chinook. The "K" can also acommodate a pair of 463L pallets internally, and it's fully marinized for shipboard operations (not sure if CH-47 is). 

5 minutes ago, Slater said:

I believe the CH-53K can carry a heavier payload farther then the Chinook. The "K" can also acommodate a pair of 463L pallets internally, and it's fully marinized for shipboard operations (not sure if CH-47 is). 

I know that the RAF ones weren't and it would have been a lot of work if we had to put one down into the hangar deck when on a carrier (removal of 5 blades). As far as I know no other Chinooks are marinised either.

Germany is apparently proceeding with it's "Schwere Transporthubschrauber" CH-53G replacement effort, and the CH-53K and (I think) CH-47 are both in the running for that competition. The "K" may have an edge since Germany has a long association with the CH-53 series, but overall cost may be an issue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slater said:

increased payload and range are for sure important for Israel, wasn't the Osprey also considered at one point?. Not so sure about the maritime requirements though!

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Slater said:

The Israeli military wanted the Osprey but there wasn't money for it, evidently.

The price range for the K currently is about 100 Mii $US ( down from an unbelievable 130!!!) That is more than for an F-35.... 

Of course, we do not know what is all included...

Wasn't the Osprey already very expensive at about half of that?

1.13 billion for 6 Osprey aircraft? Wow ...

That obviously includes systems and engines... but still!

Japan orderd 5 Osprey for 332 million " only" in 2015

https://www.star-telegram.com/

Can it be that Israel had hugely expensive extras installed effectively trippling the price???!!! :wall:

I would have guessed the airframe and engines were expensive... but already developped MV special ops mission systems  adding that much astonishes me!