How low is too low? RAF Buccaneers

Hockeyboy76

Nice

well worth watching again

many years ago I saw film on tv of Buccaneers at Red Flag in the USA. What was unusual was it was tv video in black and white as I recall and it was from the view of the targeting Sam system with the audio of the US operators. They were amazed at how low the Buccs were. Try as I might I’ve never managed to find it again

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Nice

many years ago I saw film on tv of Buccaneers at Red Flag in the USA. What was unusual was it was tv video in black and white as I recall and it was from the view of the targeting Sam system with the audio of the US operators. They were amazed at how low the Buccs were. Try as I might I’ve never managed to find it again

I remember that clip too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Nice

I've remember seeing that video too! The way the pilot was reefing the aircraft around at such a low level was something to behold.  It also serves as a reminder of the tragic loss of a crew and aircraft at Red Flag when the wing came off owing to fatigue. I'm tempted to say 1980? 

• Like 1

Oooooh! Those videos, especially the first one with the excellent music, brought tears to my eyes and almost a sob to my throat. Thanks for posting them.

The Buccs were hugely popular at GooseBay/Happy Valley in Labrador. Every year they would stop over for a night on the way to the Red Flag exercises, and every year they would be formally requested by the Mayor to beat up the town and the airfield as low as possible. Who could refuse? In 1978 (or 9?)  I was able to watch the flying from the roof of our hangar. It was a tall, big building but shook like a tent when a Buccaneer went past as we looked DOWN on it! 

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I recall seeing a similar, possibly the same film and, you could clearly hear an obviously very impressed :"Jeez!  These guys are good" comment  from someone monitoring the cameras.

I would suspect that the somewhat minimum altitude flown by those Buccaneer actually represented the  height an actual combat mission might be flown at?

John

That’s the one - wish I could find it

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, colin said:

There is also a clip somewhere showing American Intruders at low level and the next Bucc's flying below them

Almost a similar one is a story that I have heard when serving on Nimrod R1s from an Air Eng who came to us from the Kipper Fleet. Whilst on detachment at Gib a Kipper Fleet Nimrod was happily flying around at lowish level when one of the pilots said 2 Buccs off our STBD side, when the other pilot said 1 Bucc on our Port side. The first pilot then said don't Buccs usually fly around in 4s, to which a reply came 4th one just flown underneath us. Whether this story is true or not I am not sure, but seeing that first film and how low the aircraft are when they fly close to the ship, I can quite believe it.

• Like 3

I remember years ago (late 80s?)  on holiday down Cornwall with my now wife, looking down from a cliff top (Tintagel I think) and seeing a pair of Buccs hurtling along the coast throwing up a plume of water behind them like a jet ski :) 

Happy days 

Ian :) 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

Is this the other way round - FRADU Hunter doing passes under the bow of HMS Ghurka during training courses off Gib in early 1980?spacer.png

Still the poor ship getting buzzed with no comeback 😔 That's a fantastic photo by the way!

20 hours ago, Orso said:

Fascinating snapshot of Swedish low-flying procedures.

Some years ago in Aircraft Illustrated magazine an RAF Jaguar Pilot (possibly Michael Rondot but I am not certain) wrote about the away leg of a squadron exchange with a Swedish Viggen squadron and flying a routine low-level training sortie in the backseat of one.      As an experienced Jaguar pilot he rated the RAF's low-level capabilities very highly but his Swedish experience was an eye-opener with the aircraft dropping after cleaning up from take-off and remaining there between trees rather than over them for the entirety of the flight only climbing again to position itself for landing upon return to the airfield.

• Like 2

I know this is flight sim (DCS World) but these two chaps tried to emulate the ultra-low-level, firewall speed tactic of the Buccaneer and found it's virtually impossible to intercept:

The 'target' is using an AV-8B Harrier II, the period interceptor is an F-14A Tomcat with AIM-7s and gun. Might not be to everyone's style but makes the point well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I've been trying to find a couple of film clips from the 1990 Gulf War

One was filmed from an F-15E bumbling along over the desert at 500 ft. Suddenly, they are overtaken by a pair of RAF Tornadoes flying about 350 -  400 ft below them!

The other was a simulated attack by RAF Jaguars on an American task group. The aircraft whizzed between the lines of ships below deck level!!

Judging by the ccomment on the soundtrack,   the US Navy was impressed!!

John

Somehow sounds like that if  you do not have the numbers (quantity) you need to be massively better in order to generate effect.... :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alan P said:

I know this is flight sim (DCS World) but these two chaps tried to emulate the ultra-low-level, firewall speed tactic of the Buccaneer and found it's virtually impossible to intercept:

The 'target' is using an AV-8B Harrier II, the period interceptor is an F-14A Tomcat with AIM-7s and gun. Might not be to everyone's style but makes the point well!

I recall reading in Buccaneer Boys that a flight of four would would split if intercepted at Red Flag with the result that three at least would hit target on time without fail. That was the plan and I think they defenders got one Buccaneer once

• Like 1

I have seen two Buccs at about 15’ going along a shallow almost flat valley before kicking some dust and turning right to disappearing around a hill. When I served at St Athan back in 80’s it was common to see a Bucc go between the local power station chimneys aberporth? it would have go through on its side though. Further to this I can now remember more, it seem to be great fun to fly a Phantom between the hangars on west camp at say 20’. Oh what fantastic times back then. 
And great to reminisce.

sammy

• Like 4

Brilliant videos! Those lads could fly couldn't they!  

Love the Buccaneer, probably my all time favourite fast jet. Wish they were still in service, low level in the Mach loop or scaring the baddies in the hot dusty places. 

• 2 weeks later...