Foot Pedal Perhaps?

Tijuana Taxi

I have a continuous running compressor (Iwata Sprint Jet) with no auto shut off.

Not really a problem because its forty minute run time is nearly always long enough.

Thinking more of the environmental, wear and cost aspect with it working all the time.

Wondering if it would be feasible to put a foot pedal in the circuit.

One of those that needs constant pressure to activaten rather than an on/off type.

Would be easy enough to connect and imagine to use as well when air is required.

Has anyone tried this before or can you see any possibly flaws in my thinking

Thanks and Happy New Year

Rich

Try a foot pedal for a sewing machine. Foot pressure to keep sewing machine running - no foot pressure = sewing machine stops. Put in the power-in cable

I used to use one as a remote control for an up-right pillar drill. Drill was switched on at its body but it need the foot pressure on the pedal to actually run

Some sewing machine pedals have three wires and some have two which go to the motor unit.

The pedal and its wires can be bought for not very many ££ through ebay. New or second hand

Thanks for that suggestion, but I thought a sewing machine pedal incorporated a rheostat.

The one my wife uses occasionally seems to control the machine speed which I assume requires something like a variable resistor.

If they make one that is simply a pressure switch that would be just the job, will investigate further.

If your wifey's sewing machine is very modern the foot pedal controls the speed of the sewing machine.

I use ancient Singer machines and they are simply stop and go foot pedals.

afaik the three-wire pedals control the speed of the motor and two-wire pedals are go and stop only

• Like 1

Both momentary and toggle switches are available. Personally, I would choose a toggle switch so I didn't have to keep one foot planted or worry about losing air pressure while I'm spraying.

• Like 1

That is something to consider, I thought constant pressure would be best, but now you have me thinking.

Its just an idea, I like messing about adapting things for what i see as an improvement (or not as the case may be)

Other option is buy an add on 2.5L tank, but its a lot of expense for not much improvement, never get any stuttering now.

Edited by Tijuana Taxi

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I use ancient Singer machines and they are simply stop and go foot pedals.

Are you sure it's only on/off? All the ones I've seen have all been variable speed, if it's only giving on/off it needs an overhaul!

The carbon disc pile needs cleaning / replacing. Did that on my Mum's Singer pedal (1960's) and my Gran's (1950's), both working fine now.

31 minutes ago, Tijuana Taxi said:

That is something to consider, I thought constant pressure would be best, but now you have me thinking.

Its just an idea, I like messing about adapting things for what i see as an improvement (or not as the case may be)

Other option is buy an add on 2.5L tank, but its a lot of expense for not much improvement, never get any stuttering now.

If you've no tank at all, an on/off foot switch could be an improvement, however if your compressor has a small tank and relief valve a pressure switch might be a better investment.

Definitely no tank, its just a continuous piston type that does actually function very well.

Think I have found the set up I want, its an on/off type pedal that will include a socket in line for the compressor.

Bit of rewiring in the pedal needed to provide an earth to its metal body, but think I have it sussed out now.

All ideas welcome, just something to mess about with, probably end up back up in its original form at some stage though.

Do you need an extra switch?  My generic AS186 (which looks suspiciously similar to the iwata but no fancy casing) only turns on when pressure needed.  If I forget to turn off the power switch  I'm reminded by an occasional few second purr every ten minutes or so!  If your compressor is running all the time when no demand it may be knackered or you have a leak somewhere between compressor and airbrush?

And personally I've never been that bothered by pulsing (or a rusty tank, obviously), and the noise isn't that bad when running.