PK-312 Auto Union racing car 1/32 - FINISHED

Well done @bianfuxia, so happy to see this beautiful racing beast as part of this GB.

I stupidly sold my example to a collector a short while back, so must acquire another when I get the chance or find the available funds!  

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK so I started this Auto Union racing car the last few days. Haven't made much progress yet although I can see it will be a very quick build.

IMG_20220516_220841583.jpg?w=1352&ssl=1

I have stopped here tonight because somehow - and I swear I must have my own personal poltergeist because I am inexplicably clumsy at random moments - somehow I knocked an open bottle of Tamiya gun metal acrylic off the table where it did a mid-air 360 worthy of an Olympic freestyle skier and deposited pretty much the entire contents in one long Jackson Pollock-esque splatter on the CARPET of my rental house. Also right across my Uniqlo jeans that I *actually* look good in unlike most other clothes (not that that matters much nearly 20 years into marriage as SWMBO is pretty blase about how I look these days). ANYWAY! Back to the story.

So needless to say I spent the next half hour down on my knees with cloth and soapy water...

I think it will come up ok with a steam clean.

But yes the Auto Union is coming along. Sadly you'll probably barely even see the parts I painted gun metal - those exhaust pipes sticking out of the engine. 

Even before this accident I was not really feeling it with this kit, but I thought, well, the MB GB is such a good GB and there is an outside chance we will build all those kits on the list so I better not let the side down! 

So with that in mind now I am going to build this like I would have done when I was 13 - without too much effort beyond a neat OOB result.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Great to see this one progressing,  re he paint we have all done it !

At least yours was acrylic, having done it with enamel, it's a whole different ball game :banghead:

cheers Pat 

• Like 2

Yeah it actually came out, I was pretty amazed. My jeans are still a bit stained but thanks to a bootcamp I've joined recently - and likely also not washing them in the right stuff - either they're a bit smaller or my quads are a bit bigger so they're not gonna be A List anymore anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Well this has been something of an ill-fated build. Nothing wants to stay glued together - even with superglue I have to hold the parts together for ages only to have them fall off again.

IMG_20220601_211106262_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

Still, I have moved it along a bit.

IMG_20220601_220810350_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

Here is where the real trouble began. The top part of the car just didn't want to fit the bottom. It's a real shame because I did a decent job of the spray painting. But the only way to get it together was to smother it with superglue (of course my tube applicator had kind of dried up so I had to just pour it in from the main part of the tube). Then I taped it up tightly overnight and even then, next day, part of it had still come a bit loose and needs some putty. Ordinarily I wouldn't bother but it's obvious I'm going to be sanding a bit now anyway.

IMG_20220602_154657938_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

I decided I'd get to the sanding later and keep pressing on. This is where I am up to now:

IMG_20220602_213045582_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

I also seem to not have the seat. 

So after all that, this is the photo I like the best....MATCHBOX TOYS:

IMG_20220601_205738847_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

• Like 10

Sorry about the superglue, but you might find you can remove the excess by scraping with a sharp knife blade.

Please don't give up on this one, it's far too good to reside on the "Shelf of Shame" :fraidnot:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I think I am calling this one done. I have misplaced the seat, long ago I'd say, as this was stored loose in a box for maybe 30 years. I've misplaced the windscreen just lately, as I am pretty sure I saw it when I dug this out of the stash. Ditto for the decals, though they were looking pretty forlorn anyway.

IMG_20220614_224729343_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

But I kind of like the austere aesthetic of it as it looks now.

IMG_20220614_224740650_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220614_224749738_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

The rear engine cover doesn't really fit on at all, but the front cover fits pretty nicely. I will leave it loose so it can be displayed open.

IMG_20220614_224804457_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220614_224818712_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

IMG_20220614_224903104_HDR.jpg?w=1352&ss

I'll put some better pics in the gallery before we close out on what had to be the most epic group build in the history of group builds!

• Like 7

Brilliant,  absolutely brilliant :worthy:

The idea of leaving the access panels off is inspired,  it's as if it's in the workshop being prepared for a race which would explain the missing seat and screen.

Congratulations 

:partytime:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:40 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Brilliant,  absolutely brilliant :worthy:

The idea of leaving the access panels off is inspired,  it's as if it's in the workshop being prepared for a race which would explain the missing seat and screen.

Congratulations 

:partytime:

Cheers Pat 

Thank you!

• bianfuxia changed the title to PK-312 Auto Union racing car 1/32 - FINISHED