Hawker Sea Fury - 805 Squadron, Royal Australian Navy

G'day all . Happy new 2022 to you all, hope you managed to have a bevvy wherever you are. This would have been a completion for 2021 however I had better offers!

First for 2022 (so close for 2021 though). The 1/48 Airfix Sea Fury with all the Barracuda bits including cockpit set, cowl and spinner, main gear bay, wheels and brass gear legs. Master barrels pitot and cannon barrels top it off. Built using the really nice kit decals as VW645 from 805 squadron Royal Australian Navy. I wanted to try and add some interest to the otherwise ubiquitous EDSG/sky scheme, I think I came close to the mark. I can thoroughly recommend the VMS satin varnish too. Apply it wet and it comes out perfect and it's water based too. The only downer to the kit are the braille rivets on the rudder and the heavy panel lines. Oh, and the crappy two piece cowl.

Cheers and a merry 2022.

Mick

Sea-Fury-01-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-02-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-03-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-04-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-05-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-06-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-07-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-09-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-10-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-11-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-12-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-13-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-14-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-15-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-16-export.jpg

Sea-Fury-17-processed.jpg

Sea-Fury-18-processed.jpg

Sea-Fury-20-processed.jpg

Edited by Mick Drover
Updated images
  • Like 46
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, colin said:

Lovely build of a beautiful aircraft.

Shame Airfix can't get their panel lines somewhere near 20yr old Hasegawa kits I have

Thanks Colin. I agree, the Airfix Spitfire 22/24 and EE Lightings are great examples of what you mention.

10 hours ago, Ken the panda said:

That's marvellous, well done and Happy New Year 🥳

Thanks Ken.

10 hours ago, Gatesy64 said:

Wow that’s a beaut. Well done on a fantastic build

Thanks Gatesy

10 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

A delightful model. Superb weathering and photography.  Panelines are quite heavy yes….but finally it’s a beautiful Fury.

Happy new year,

Andy 

Thanks Andy. It's one area I wish Airfix would address.

4 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Lovely weathering :)

Thanks Wellsprop

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this!  The Sea Fury is a beautiful brute of a plane and this rendition captures the look perfectly. In service they were kept generally clean but when they transferred to muddy Korean strips they looked like dirty Corsairs. All the resin was worth it--I can see the detail and improvements. 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, Dunny said:

That's lovely work Mick - the weathering is superb!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Mark.

On 1/2/2022 at 8:23 AM, Roberto said:

Beautiful work, I love the painting and the weathering 👍

Thanks Roberto.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:12 PM, Maginot said:

That's a cracker. Very high standard of modelling. Good work with the paint.

Thanks Maginot, much appreciated.

19 hours ago, MBM said:

Stunning, love the paint work and depth of weathering! 

Out of interest what paints did you use?

Mark

Thanks Mark. The EDSG was Gunze Acrylic 333 and the Sky was the only lacquer of theirs that I used, I'm afraid I can't remember that specific number. The oils et al were done with Abteilung and Tamiya Panel line washes. Cockpit details were done with the trusty old Vallejo acrylics.

15 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

Thank you for posting this!  The Sea Fury is a beautiful brute of a plane and this rendition captures the look perfectly. In service they were kept generally clean but when they transferred to muddy Korean strips they looked like dirty Corsairs. All the resin was worth it--I can see the detail and improvements. 

Thanks. I wanted to added a bit of visual contrast as the scheme can be quite plan if done as factory fresh. Amongst the reference images that I had, the Korean birds were certainly the most well worn.

14 hours ago, RMCS said:

Very nice very nice indeed 

Cheers RMCS.

13 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Superb job Mick enjoyed building this kit a year or two back,shame they never wore that many schemes we'd see a lot more posted

I think.

Thanks Steve. The got a few Airfix builds under my belt from the last two years and they've been pretty much vice less. I only wish Airfix would spend some time on refining the panel lines; I'm sure I dropped my airbrush down them once. And yes, it'd be a subject that would be nice to see in a few more schemes.

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

What the other have said- not my scale, but I know great modeling when I see it, and this is definitely that! Well done!

Mike

Thanks Mike, that's kind of you to say that. I've since updated the photos as I dragged my DSLR out to take some nicer image. While the phone does have a 4K camera I'm not convinced of it's performance.