J-10 Chinese delta wing fighter

Good day and Happy New Year to all,

I managed to squeeze one final kit in before year`s end.  This is the Trumpeter J-10 or as known on the box as the “Chinese New Fighter”.  References were all over the place with colors, patterns, and details.  I went with what looked about right for a version I saw via the internet.  I built the jet completely out of the box and only added Tamiya tape for the seat belts.  I have mixed feelings on this kit.  Some sections go together well and there is good to excellent detail within the gear wells, landing gear, and cockpit however some sections, notably the engine air intake, that require major surgery to get to fit right.  All in all, it`s a decent kit but it does require a bit more experience to construct.  Weathered with washes, paint, and pastels.  I hope you all enjoy it.

I would like to wish all of my friends here at BritModeller a safe and prosperous new year for 2022.  I thank you for your continuing friendships.  

Thank you in advance and with much respect,

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 38

That looks terrific!  I really like the camo scheme -- what colors did you use?  I have a later boxing of this kit in the stash that I bought on a whim, so thank you for the heads-up on the construction details!  I'm pretty sure I'd rather make it in this scheme than the all-gray one they call out in the instructions.

Very nice work!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

That looks terrific!  I really like the camo scheme -- what colors did you use?  I have a later boxing of this kit in the stash that I bought on a whim, so thank you for the heads-up on the construction details!  I'm pretty sure I'd rather make it in this scheme than the all-gray one they call out in the instructions.

Very nice work!

Opus my friend, 

With the “uncertainty” of the exact colors for the J-10, I used some long standing Model Master acrylics that I had for God only knows how long.  I figured it would be a good time to use the older paint ( which worked just fine by the way ).  Here`s what I used…………

1. Fuselage : Model Master acrylic Medium Gray ( main & external tanks ) and Life Color Ocean Gray ( accent )

2. Landing Gear & wells : Model Master acrylic Aircraft Gray

3. Cockpit : Model Master acrylic Light Gray

4. Exhaust : ( in order from front to rear ) AK Interactive Extreme ( enamel ) White Aluminum, Burnt Metal, Jet Exhaust

5. Washes : Vallejo Blue-Gray ( panel lines ), black ( panel lines, gears, wells, etc ), Light Rust in select locations.

6. Ejection seat : Tamiya Dark Gray

7. Dry brush accents / highlights : Tamiya Gun Metal, Metallic Gray, Model Master Burnt Aluminum

8. Missiles : Mission Models White

9. Tires : Mission Models Black highlighted with Mission Models Tire Black

Many thanks to all for the positive feedback. 

Happy New Year!!!!!:yahoo:

Mike

• Like 2

Mike,

I think I've never seen this aircraft before.

To my (uninitiated) eyes it looks like the Eurofighter!

However we all know China would NEVER copy any foreign design so this must be purely coincidential.

Good paintjob, and very intersting model.

Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

Mike,

I think I've never seen this aircraft before.

To my (uninitiated) eyes it looks like the Eurofighter!

However we all know China would NEVER copy any foreign design so this must be purely coincidential.

Good paintjob, and very intersting model.

Thanks for sharing!

Ha Roman!!! I`ll get you to start to take an interest ( and build 😉 ) modern jets in due time 😬.  Yes the J-10 bears a resemblance to the Eurofighter Typhoon but it`s likeness ( aka…….”reverse engineering” ) is derived from the Israeli Lavi and X-31 test aircraft.  It also copies the lines of the Swedish JAS-39 Gripen.  

It reminds me of the time when we were in elementary school.  We would study many hours and put forth the effort to pass the upcoming test, get an excellent grade only to have the student sitting next to us, peek over and copy our answers and get the same grade as us. :thumbsdown:

Mike

I agree with everyone that it looks better in this camo scheme than the standard overall grey. Great work on the kit & the base.

I've build the later version with the diverterless intake and encountered no issues with the fit there, and the details indeed are great. I wish there were aftermarket lo-vis insignias available.

Btw, here's an article about the development of the J-10 from the IAI Lavi:

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/why-china-looked-israels-lavi-jet-its-j-10-vigorous-dragon-160931

• Thanks 1

On 12/31/2021 at 6:22 PM, Sky Keg said:

Opus my friend, 

With the “uncertainty” of the exact colors for the J-10, I used some long standing Model Master acrylics that I had for God only knows how long.  I figured it would be a good time to use the older paint ( which worked just fine by the way ).  Here`s what I used…………

1. Fuselage : Model Master acrylic Medium Gray ( main & external tanks ) and Life Color Ocean Gray ( accent )

2. Landing Gear & wells : Model Master acrylic Aircraft Gray

3. Cockpit : Model Master acrylic Light Gray

4. Exhaust : ( in order from front to rear ) AK Interactive Extreme ( enamel ) White Aluminum, Burnt Metal, Jet Exhaust

5. Washes : Vallejo Blue-Gray ( panel lines ), black ( panel lines, gears, wells, etc ), Light Rust in select locations.

6. Ejection seat : Tamiya Dark Gray

7. Dry brush accents / highlights : Tamiya Gun Metal, Metallic Gray, Model Master Burnt Aluminum

8. Missiles : Mission Models White

9. Tires : Mission Models Black highlighted with Mission Models Tire Black

Many thanks to all for the positive feedback. 

Happy New Year!!!!!:yahoo:

Mike

Thanks for taking the time, Mike!  Hopefully, when I do mine I can make it look half as good as yours... ;) 

• Thanks 1

Nice one :goodjob: and an interesting subject choice.  
The history buff in me wants to warn people not to make the same error like that was made in the 1930s with Japanese aircraft though :D

• Thanks 1