V is for Vengeance / V2

Good day to all,

I have no idea where to post this subject so I went here because I figure the V2 flies sort of like an airplane or helicopter.  It takes off and lands like a Kamikaze only one time.  Spurred on by my friends to try something different, I found this at my favorite online hobby retailer and went in this direction.  As it appears, the kit was simple yet very well detailed.  A coat of primer then I masked the semi-complex pattern and it was nearly complete.  The launch platform rounds out the subject.  I recommend this for all skill levels.  

Thank you in advance!!!

Mike

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 26

Wow Mke ... menacingly purposeful! Apparently Hitler was enchanted with the V 2 after Albert Speer showed him some colour film of an early test launch. A bit different from him ranting " I'll build aircraft, aircraft and anhilillate all my enemies! "  I quote the author Norman Stone  on this point on Herr Hitlers reported speech. 

A great model And a very unusual subject matter.i like it very much!

My own mother as an 11 year old girl cowered in an underground bunker in early 1944 whilst London was pummelled by these rockets. These Revenge Weapons  which arrived without any warning unlike the V1s..My mum took her 11 plus exam whilst in the said bunker , passing it and getting a place in a Grammer school. Her mother said much later in life.. " Sheila, I didn't care what school you went to.. I was just trying to keep you alive" When I read this in my mums written record of her childhood I was moved to tears. How lucky I am to have not had such a childhood.  Seeing this model has reminded me of the absolute terror these rockets  must have brought ...  a lovely  model but I can't help putting it in to its emotional and historical context..  Von Braun said of the V2 " Right rocket , wrong planet" hmmmmm yet the Saturn V took us to the moon .. so I guess he was right!  Several V 2s were recorded landing very close to where I live in England. 4 I can recall offhand.. each one an absolutely devastating event ..

Happy Hew Year! 

• Thanks 3

43 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Wow Mke ... menacingly purposeful! Apparently Hitler was enchanted with the V 2 after Albert Speer showed him some colour film of an early test launch. A bit different from him ranting " I'll build aircraft, aircraft and anhilillate all my enemies! "  I quote the author Norman Stone  on this point on Herr Hitlers reported speech. 

A great model And a very unusual subject matter.i like it very much!

My own mother as an 11 year old girl cowered in an underground bunker in early 1944 whilst London was pummelled by these rockets. These Revenge Weapons  which arrived without any warning unlike the V1s..My mum took her 11 plus exam whilst in the said bunker , passing it and getting a place in a Grammer school. Her mother said much later in life.. " Sheila, I didn't care what school you went to.. I was just trying to keep you alive" When I read this in my mums written record of her childhood I was moved to tears. How lucky I am to have not had such a childhood.  Seeing this model has reminded me of the absolute terror these rockets  must have brought ...  a lovely  model but I can't help putting it in to its emotional and historical context..  Von Braun said of the V2 " Right rocket , wrong planet" hmmmmm yet the Saturn V took us to the moon .. so I guess he was right!  Several V 2s were recorded landing very close to where I live in England. 4 I can recall offhand.. each one an absolutely devastating event ..

Happy Hew Year! 

Hello good Colonel.  Thanks for the great story and Happy New Year to you and your family!!!!! :elephant:

Mike

• Thanks 1

She is looking great, Mike. I love the colours! As you know, I love anything different and esoteric and this fits the bill perfectly. Nice.

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Martin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

MIke,  I have some interesting pictures of my Grandfather sitting astride some wrecked V2s in Northern Germany. I might see if I can put them on Flickr if you'd be interested? Maybe post them n this thread? 

Kind Regards 

Andy

That would be great Andy!!!!!!! :yahoo:

Thanks,
Mike

Interesting pattern & flawless execution. Coincidentally, I recently read Robert Harris excellent novel "V2", centerd around a (fictional) German engineer, who was part of von Braun's team developing the rocket, and a female calculator who is part of a British team that tries to indentify & destroy the launch bases at the Dutch coast via radar & ballistic calculations. Very interesting perspectives on the rocket war & a good read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting camo pattern, indeed!

I can see you had a lot of fun sticking masking tape....

From what I've seen in TV documentaries, I thought these rockets were all painted dark grey (or in a black/white hi-vis scheme for testing).

Something very different from your workbench this time.

• Thanks 1

Lovely build.

Operational V2s tended to be all over green or that rather complicated splinter pattern. Von Braun liked the alternate black/white markings on the test versions of his rockets because it meant they could visually track roll and pitch rates better. That's why his other rockets, the Redstone and the Saturn family, nearly all featured black and white panels.

I also read the Harris novel recently and it is very good.

• Thanks 1