The Vampire scared of the light

canberra kid

I've started my hopefully doldrum busting build, the new 1/48 scale Airfix Vampire. I'm intending to build it very much out of the box, but, I did spot one thing that I'm going to fix and that is the downward ident lights, Airfix have sort of represented them but there is no reference to them in the instructions. The only problem now is which colour goes where? I think I know which order I'm going to do them in unless someone can come up with an answer.

qHBRxn.jpg

qHBt0J.jpg

qHB1hs.jpg

John

• Like 3

Hello John,

check out this photo, as it suggests that red was located in the front of that rectangular panel (green in your photo):

de-Havilland-DH-100-Vampire-Mk.1-Flygvap

I had a look at my Vampire photos (Finnish FB.52s and a Swedish T.11) but couldn't find out the colours. It looks like Finnish Vampires didn't have identification lights.

Cheers,

Antti

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, k5054nz said:

Please forgive my ignorance: what are the two silver rectangular parts under the tailpipe?

I suspect they may be drip pans strategically suspended by museum staff to catch oil.

David

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, David Womby said:

I suspect they may be drip pans strategically suspended by museum staff to catch oil.

David

That was precisely my thinking but I didn't want to make a fool of myself for thinking as much!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello John,

check out this photo, as it suggests that red was located in the front of that rectangular panel (green in your photo):

de-Havilland-DH-100-Vampire-Mk.1-Flygvap

I had a look at my Vampire photos (Finnish FB.52s and a Swedish T.11) but couldn't find out the colours. It looks like Finnish Vampires didn't have identification lights.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti, that helps. It's never easy to guess colours from B&W photos.

John

• Like 1