Ethel The Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying - Sword 1/72 Fairey Gannet AEW.3

AliGauld

I bought this as a wee gift to myself when I went into Wonderland just before Christmas.

I was going in for some stuff for my Nephew that he had just asked his Mum for and she didn't trust herself to get the right things.

I bought it and have been itching to get started ever since.

Some box and sprue shots.

MBJkAx6.jpg

1yOJrZg.jpg

5nqTKoC.jpg

cqHBHRh.jpg

ys4EWIk.jpg

eBxpxtR.jpg

9wQckDi.jpg

KFqTocK.jpg

fvrzzUW.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 16

Looks like a good kit,and should make an interesting build. 

When I worked in Edinburgh I was always finding an excuse to visiting Wonderland models. I remember when their shop was in Rose Street.

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Looks like a good kit,and should make an interesting build. 

When I worked in Edinburgh I was always finding an excuse to visiting Wonderland models. I remember when their shop was in Rose Street.

Cheers Greg 👍

Thanks Greg,

I try to go in every time I'm in town, even if it's only for paint and I have only ever known the Lothian Road location, but, I am an immigrant from the North.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Thanks Greg,

I try to go in every time I'm in town, even if it's only for paint and I have only ever known the Lothian Road location, but, I am an immigrant from the North.

Cheers,

Alistair

Then we have swapped places! I used to live in East Lothian but moved up to Inverness about 22 years ago. Wonderland hasn't been in Rose Street since the mid 80's. I was very familiar with the Lothian road shop. 

Cheers Greg 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Then we have swapped places! I used to live in East Lothian but moved up to Inverness about 22 years ago. Wonderland hasn't been in Rose Street since the mid 80's. I was very familiar with the Lothian road shop. 

Cheers Greg 👍

That explains it then.

I moved from Dingwall to Leuchars in 1984 but didn't move through to Edinburgh until 1990.

I was at Napier from 1978 until 1981 but was more interested in the pubs then.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

Do your thread titles have any "logic" to yourself?  And lest that sound like an attack, Ethel the Aardvark was one of my favorite childhood characters! 😉

(though Spiny Norman was the one I identified with)

Ah yes, and happy new year!  Hopefully it'll begin to offer some of the things we all hoped 2021 would...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The thread title comes from a sketch in which customer Marty Feldman requests said title from bookseller John Cleese, having been refused  other unlikely titles "out of stock". Can't remember the show from which it came.

As for any connection with the proposed build, only Alastair @AliGauld knows the answer to that ! I find his thread titles ......erm......intriguing !

Rog

• Thanks 1

I'll pull up a seat if I may? I spent some time around these  back in 1964 after my trade training at Arbroath. I built the Ali-Cat's kit a few years back, very good quality and easy to assemble.

Colin

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, roginoz said:

The thread title comes from a sketch in which customer Marty Feldman requests said title from bookseller John Cleese, having been refused  other unlikely titles "out of stock". Can't remember the show from which it came.

Yes, perhaps my post was too subtle, but I caught the reference.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mark.au said:

I'm in.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here.

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent a start has been made,  looking forward to this one Alistair.

Happy New year to you and yours.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

All the best to you and yours.

2 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Do your thread titles have any "logic" to yourself?  And lest that sound like an attack, Ethel the Aardvark was one of my favorite childhood characters! 😉

(though Spiny Norman was the one I identified with)

Ah yes, and happy new year!  Hopefully it'll begin to offer some of the things we all hoped 2021 would...

Happy New Year to you and I'm happy you picked up the reference.

As to the titles there is an explanation further down. :D

2 hours ago, Hook said:

DINSDAAAAAALLEEEE!!! 

Nice work so far, I have this in the Stash as well. 

Cheers,

Andre 

Thanks very much.

1 hour ago, Ade H said:

I see that the box art highlights the inclusion of an "operator's interior". I may call it that from now on. 😄

Thanks for that I may have almost choked on my tea. :rofl2:

1 hour ago, roginoz said:

As for any connection with the proposed build, only Alastair @AliGauld knows the answer to that ! I find his thread titles ......erm......intriguing !

Rog

Indeed it does. It was also included on the "Contractual Obligation Album" which was my first experience of it.

My titles usually have some sort of music reference to either the build or the scheme it's going to be in but this one stumped me until I remembered that 

Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds (Expurgated Version) had The Gannet missing as they wet their nests.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

I'll pull up a seat if I may? I spent some time around these  back in 1964 after my trade training at Arbroath. I built the Ali-Cat's kit a few years back, very good quality and easy to assemble.

Colin

Pull up a chair.

Glad to have you here.

I also have the Alley Cat Kit but the wingfold version, which does get fondled every so often and then fear takes over. It will be done one day.

54 minutes ago, Hook said:

"At Last the 1948 Show".

Cheers,

Andre

Yup that's the one.

51 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Yes, perhaps my post was too subtle, but I caught the reference.

I caught it. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Looking Forward to your build. I purchased that kit a while ago to complete an Ark Royal collection that it is my intention to complete. I was a Phantom man but loved watching the Gannets.  I always thought the guy on the steering arm guiding it onto the cat had guts so close to those spinning props, and the wing fold was great to watch.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Tony G said:

Looking Forward to your build. I purchased that kit a while ago to complete an Ark Royal collection that it is my intention to complete. I was a Phantom man but loved watching the Gannets.  I always thought the guy on the steering arm guiding it onto the cat had guts so close to those spinning props, and the wing fold was great to watch.

Thanks so much and I'm glad to have you aboard.

Should be a fun build.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds (Expurgated Version) had The Gannet missing as they wet their nests.

hangs head in shame.  In my defense, I very much do like the gannet- the bird, that is- and am always happy to encounter one here in Maine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gingerbob said:

hangs head in shame.  In my defense, I very much do like the gannet- the bird, that is- and am always happy to encounter one here in Maine.

No need for shame it was a pretty deep reference.

And it has been said I'm a pretentious git. ;)

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

I cut out the operators door. This took some time as the plastic was fairly thick.

After that some Nato Black was thrown at the plastic.

DebdL5t.jpg

gCLJk1T.jpg

Off to cook Dinner but I'm hoping to get some internals put together later.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 5

Some rather fiddly bits stuck together with even more fiddly photoetch.

jQSKc1s.jpg

KEdOtaG.jpg

wiwjECW.jpg

qZL03m4.jpg

The glue is drying on the side panels and the film, so will get the rest stuck together tomorrow and do some more detail painting and dry brushing and such.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 9

The Operators Interior :facepalm: was primed and then painted Nato Black.

fMQoTOZ.jpg

LYvaE7y.jpg

And this kind of happened, just to check the fit and see if the fuselage closed up.

pTbFSJ1.jpg

I will try to get some details done on the interior later.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 6