PK-77 Wespe - Finished

13 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

but, but, it can't be a Matchbox Wespe without the Palm Tree, can it? 😢

You're probably right. Fortunately @Davek72 has done it properly with his build, so I've allowed myself a bit of artistic licence and adapted the base a tad.. 😃

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 5:49 AM, IanC said:

Thanks Dave. The kit currently offers markings for 21st Panzer Div in North Africa and a 17th PD vehicle used at Kursk. The former division was actually equipped with various SP guns on the French Lorraine 37L chassis, and these bear a passing resemblance to the Wespe. Too much information, I'm sure, but I sometimes wonder if that was the cause of the confusion back in 1974 or whenever. Of course, none of that mattered to those of us fighting our carpet wars all those years ago. 😀

Interesting point.  It would have been very interesting if Matchbox had released a Lorraine based SPG (and no doubt - like the Mark 2 release - a Lorraine Carrier or other Lorraine based vehicle later on). 

I think I posted a photo of the Bandai 1:48 Wespe’s Instruction Booklet on the Chat Thread where their leading photo was of their model in a “tropical” setting and suggested that as the Bandai kit preceded the Matchbox kit by some years Matchbox may have just “copied” what  Bandai did. 

Maybe we will never know. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rob S said:

I think I posted a photo of the Bandai 1:48 Wespe’s Instruction Booklet on the Chat Thread where their leading photo was of their model in a “tropical” setting and suggested that as the Bandai kit preceded the Matchbox kit by some years Matchbox may have just “copied” what  Bandai did.

Having just had a look at the Bandai instructions online, I think your simpler explanation is spot on Rob. You can also see the fictitious jerrican rack on the side, and even the crew peaking out look the same. 

I seem to be picking examples where Matchbox wasn't too bothered about historical accuracy. My next build is the Jagdpanther, depicted on the box art as being from 12th SS Division (which didn't have them) advancing through Villers Bocage (where they never were) past knocked out British Comets (which weren't in service)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Having just had a look at the Bandai instructions online, I think your simpler explanation is spot on Rob. You can also see the fictitious jerrican rack on the side, and even the crew peaking out look the same. 

I seem to be picking examples where Matchbox wasn't too bothered about historical accuracy. My next build is the Jagdpanther, depicted on the box art as being from 12th SS Division (which didn't have them) advancing through Villers Bocage (where they never were) past knocked out British Comets (which weren't in service)!

s-l1600.jpg 

• Like 2

I think this one is now finished. I added a couple of Milicast figures to depict some curious British troops checking over an abandoned Wespe of Panzer Artillery Regiment 119, 21st Panzer Division, Normandy August 1944. I really enjoyed building this little scene - these old Matchbox kits (and others) are so much fun to do I sometimes wonder why I bother with the 'proper' stuff... 😀 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 18

• IanC changed the title to PK-77 Wespe - Finished

That’s just brilliant, the whole setting, photos and model with figures on display is a fabulous work of art. Very well done Ian and I’m glad you had a tonne of fun making it. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1