Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf, F Trop Academy 1/35

Milan Mynar

The model was recently released by the South Korean company Academy in 1/35 scale. In the box we find a total of five sand-colored frames. There are cleanly made parts of the kit. Frame A contains the upper part of the body and other details. Frame B,  parts of he undr hull and other details. Frame C, they are two, contains chassis and track parts. The tacks are plastic from longer sections and individual links. Frame D contains parts of the turret  and a lot of details. We also have a sheet of photo etched parts and a sheet of quality decals. The instructions are clear and understandable. Contains color schemes for several German and one captured  American vehicle . Overall, the model looks nice and promises a comfortable building.

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-2.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-10.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-14.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-18.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-22.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-26.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-29.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-33.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-37.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-41.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-6.jpg

• Like 8

Nice little build thus far. I've been wondering about how this kit was going turn out in comparison to say the Dragon kit. Just one little thing though, you've put the lifting hooks on the turret roof facing the wrong way, the hook end faces outwards from the turret, not inwards. As in the photo below. Error in the instructions maybe?

spacer.png

• Like 3

Great work so far. That looks like a really good kit from Academy, I didn't know they'd released a Panzer II. 

What are the things numbered '8' on the sprue for? (Just below the track sections an jerry cans... are they teeth which have to be added to the track sections?). Thanks.

• Like 1

Milan

I don't know what project you have in mind of course so I'm giving you my honest opinion, as I usually do and want others do the same with me.

If you are going to a rusty all one maybe OK, but if you will do a normal paint/weathering I sincerely think you have gone to far with the chipping.

Hope you don't mind my honest opinion.

Cheers

LM

Lazy Modeller,

I don't mind your honest opinion. We all try to work as best we can, I personally still learn this chipping technique. I use a chipping product from a local manufacturer, the use of chemicals from reputable companies is, in my case, throwing pearls to a  pig.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Milan Mynar said:

Lazy Modeller,

I don't mind your honest opinion. We all try to work as best we can, I personally still learn this chipping technique. I use a chipping product from a local manufacturer, the use of chemicals from reputable companies is, in my case, throwing pearls to a  pig.

I understand you! Oh yes I do! I have one in that state (panzerwerfer 42) that  needs to have to strip all the paint...well one day when I'm in the mood.

What product you're using? On the cheap side you have also the hairspray.. I also use it and works great. When chipping best thing is wait some time to the paint dry, maybe at least 30mins and then go for it not using much water and doing it very delicately, but it always go randomly of course, so its like a shot in the dark.

Cheers

LM

2 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

We all try to work as best we can, I personally still learn this chipping technique. I use a chipping product from a local manufacturer, the use of chemicals from reputable companies is, in my case, throwing pearls to a  pig.

I have found that the best results are obtained when the paint is very diluted and the paint layer is as thin as possible. Then the result becomes quite easy to control.

I dilute Tamiya acrylic paint in a ratio of about 1 part paint to 2 parts thinner.

And regarding hairspray - some kinds dissolve acrylic paint, you must definitely test it before use.

Vytautas

• Like 1

I used a chipping medium from a local Czech manufacturer. It is a good product. Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience with this product and its use. I made a few mistakes, too thick a color, etc. As we say, it's with my hands.

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-7-2.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-7-5.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Milan Mynar said:

I used a chipping medium from a local Czech manufacturer. It is a good product. Unfortunately, I do not have enough experience with this product and its use. I made a few mistakes, too thick a color, etc. As we say, it's with my hands.

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-7-2.jpg

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-7-5.jpg

Don't know that product, I usually use Ammo in 2 levels, but mostly hairspray. Than  maybe you applied to much product, or what I think too much water applied and you scratched too much. I suggest you do some tests in  other surfaces than the kit until you have the desired effect, to get the hand of it.

Cheers

LM

Pz-Kpfw-II-Ausf-F-6-9.jpg

I think you have a great canvas here, the paint would wear badly with the sand acting as a paint stripper. A lot of these vehicles would most likely have been painted in theatre  by the crews so proper preparation would not have happened. The effect can be toned down with filters, washes and pastels. This just my opinion it's your model and as long as your happy with it that's all that matters!

Looking forward to seeing this progress to the finish line

Stay safe            Roger

• Like 3