British Airways Concorde, Airfix 1:144

neilg

This is the new re-release of the Airfix Concorde in 1:144 as a gift set "Last flight of Concorde".

The kit is the standard kit from the 1970s with no changes other than a new decal sheet for G-BOAF.

However, I didn't use any of the decals.

G-BOAF has feathering on the speedmarque ribbon and on the tail, which is not part of the decal design.  At some point, it did have solid colours on the tail decals, but I haven't seen any photos of any Concorde with solid colours on the speemarque ribbon.

On top of that, the tail decal for the starboard side doesn't look correct:

IMG_5613

Each side of the vertical stabilizer has an actuator fairing for the split rudders.  The starboard side has an actuator fairing for the upper rudder; the port side has an actuator fairing for the lower rudder.

The decal sheet has been designed to accommodate the curves of the actuator fairings.  But the lower red ribbon of the starboard decal has been designed to wrap around the fairing, which is actually at the top.

So it would look odd having this decal on the tail. 

I checked the Airfix website to see how their product image looks, and it appears that they haven't actually used the decals that they provide in the kit:

a50189_7.jpg

So for my build, I used some leftover decals of the older Airfix kit, which has Air France, and British Airways Landor and Chatham liveries.

I also used some leftover Revell decals for the speedmarque ribbon, which has the feathering.

I never thought I'd be *that* bothered about inaccuracies of a kit, or by decals - but here we are...

I am a big fan of Concorde, so it would have been one of those things that I'd notice every time I looked at it.  It already slightly annoys me that there are no no-walk markings on the upper wing surface, and no black heating pads on the underside.

In any case, it's done and I think it builds into a really nice model.

I have this one next to the Airfix Concorde in Landor livery.

I've also just bought one of the Revell kits, which I'm going to modify with the Bra.Z resin flight deck, so the nose can be in the lowered position.

IMG_5755

IMG_5756

IMG_5757

IMG_5758

IMG_5754

IMG_5761

• Like 38

On 31/12/2021 at 13:47, davecov said:

Nice build, Neil. 👍

You can never have enough Concordes IMHO.

Dave

I agree - I have two more 1:144s and five 1:72s to build... 

And a 1:125 😬

On 31/12/2021 at 20:38, Ben Hartmann said:

That’s a stunner of a build Neil. 

I’m not surprised about the kit decals at all, if the last boxing of their 707 was to go by. 

Best Rgds

Ben

What happened with the 707 decals?

On 01/01/2022 at 07:40, exdraken said:

Very nice and speedy model(s)!

Happy New Year!

I think the good thing with this kit is that it quickly builds into the familiar shape.

Certainly only having a few decals helps.  The Revell kit takes a whole weekend to decal.

The Landor one was a previous build.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

Looks great! Do you have a link to a picture of that enormous A400(?) that we can see the tail of in the last picture?  😅

I thought I posted my link, but I don't see it.

Here is the A400M:

2 hours ago, neilg said:

I agree - I have two more 1:144s and five 1:72s to build... 

And a 1:125 😬

What happened with the 707 decals?

The Speedbird logos and BOAC titles / Registration were yellow!!

Whats the point in getting your decals printed by cartograf if you can’t even get the colours right? 

Cheap and nasty Hornby! 😂😂😂

Rgds

Ben