Pete Brothers Hurricane 1/48 decals needed

sprue

I'm planning to finish the Airfix new tool 1/48 Hurricane as Pete Brothers mount GZ- L but I can't find any after market decal sheets that cater for the unique oversize code letters. My research tells me that the old tool Airfix Hurricane A04102 at least has the GZ codes which is a start. Has anyone got a spare sheet?

1 hour ago, Planebuilder62 said:

Dear Sprue

There is a ‘Wanted’ section for this type of request so its best to get this removed from here and put in the right place.😊

My post is in the wanted section but thanks for the reminder 

7 hours ago, sprue said:

I'm planning to finish the Airfix new tool 1/48 Hurricane as Pete Brothers mount GZ- L but I can't find any after market decal sheets that cater for the unique oversize code letters. My research tells me that the old tool Airfix Hurricane A04102 at least has the GZ codes which is a start. Has anyone got a spare sheet?

The GZ codes were in 3 different 1/48th kits,  some boxing of the old tool Airfix kit, as GZ-B, P3144.   You can easily change the B into an L ....

Also, in the 2015 Ready for Battle kit, and one boxing of the Hasegawa Mk.I, note these two  show the codes are reading on the starboard side as X-GZ

as do these fibreglass ones,

Hurricane-I-RAF-32Sqn-GZL-P2921-and-GZH-

and the warbird flying as GZ-L, 

44323968221_9c345165a3_b.jpgFlight 3, Hawker Hurricane Mk I, GZ-L, P2921, Wings and Wheels Airshow, 2018 by Peter Cook, on Flickr

Most likely as the very very famous series of photos of 32 Sq taken at the end of July 1940 by the Fox film company still photographer all show the port side, 

except for this one, of GZ-Z, coming into land

Hurricane-I-RAF-32Sqn-GZZ-landing-at-Big

And, there is photo taken of a 32 Sq Hurricane in France, which was captured, 

http://www.epibreren.com/rs/oorlogsgraven/Hurricane_MK_1_GZ_X_000920.jpg

HTH

• Like 1

And the question which needs to be asked is.. On the starboard side, which side of the fuselage roundel was the GZ and which side was the L? The only two contemporary photos I've seen which show the starboard side of 32 Sqn Hurricanes during the BoB, one of which is the one of GZ-Z landing, the other being of GZ-B, show the GZ aft of the roundel, not ahead of it on the starboard side.

The B+W line up of Hurricanes in Troy's post I believe shows the full-size replicas at the Hawkinge Museum, so are not contemporary.

Where's Sherlock when you need him...?

Cheers

Nick

Hi Sprue, 

Well I would like to add to this topic, with the decals you can also try 1/48 i think it is 30 inch that   is close to the 1/72 size. Also in regard  to the codes   I believe 32's GZ was aft of the roundel on the Starboard side.  In Troy's  sequence above  the photo  of GZ Z landing, i have also seen another one taken in the same sequence of GZ C landing also with GZ aft .

I have also seen ones lost in France June 1940 . these were GZ X , GZ N and GZ V all with GZ aft.

Also a few tips when making the model , the fuselarge roundel   was 35inch A1 with a 5 inch yellow ring added, not the usual 7inch.   The colours were the Gloster lighter blue. Fin Flash had a full forward part - red.  The spinner , rotol, was painted medium blue, and the rear view mirror  was a  car rear view mirror   screwed to the inside of the canopy frame , not the external one.  Dont forget the Blue Peter flag under the cockpit. I have verified all these details ,  as I knew Peter Brothers. 

I hope your model turns out well     Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to all for the info. As for decal sheets as far as I can ascertain from my computer screen none of them depict the 48 inch letters with the narrower stroke. 32 Squadrons lettering seems to be unique. Thanks also for the details re the actual Hurricane I'll do my best.

Mike

HI Sprue ,   I did make a   typing error   in reference to the fuselarge roundel , it was a 35 inch  "A"  (red,white ,blue rings )roundel  which had the  5 inch yellow ring added , check  a photo of VY;R  to see what i mean,    Also if you cant find suitable decals you could always make a mask  from the kabuki  tape or postit notes,. Not hard and you could get the right thickness of the stroke.   Years ago  i did  measurements  of the code letters from various photos i have . There were slight difference in the dimensions though,   but it  appears that  they were all generally    42-45 inches high with a stroke width of 6 inches.  I hope this helps.

All the best   Tony

• Like 1