PK-127 Yet another Twotter!

G'day folks,

This will be my entry in all its multi-colour glory!

DSCN8355.JPG

DSCN8354.JPG

The kit has been partially started but I think I am <25%

DSCN8302.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 13

Welcome to this epic GB Pappy and your Twotter build is certainly well within the 25% ruling. I think we will all gain some useful insight into Twin Otters with this thread, so I cannot wait to see what you end up doing with this classic kit. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Woohoo it's kick-off time!

As already posted, the fuselage and cockpit were previously started. I added a few small details like belts from some tape and plastic scraps.

DSCN8296.JPG

DSCN8295.JPG

DSCN8298_(1).JPG

This added some much needed detail to the cockpit which is reasonably visible through the cock bottle like transparencies

DSCN8311.JPG

DSCN8311.JPG
DSCN8309.JPG

The final step today was to get the wings and engine nacelles together

DSCN8314.JPG

This is not your dad's Tamiya kit!

Pappy

• Like 12

57 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice work in the 'pit Pappy 

Thanks Ray, I didn't want to go  bannanas but someething will be visible. I think just the addition of the belts would be enough. I was surprised that Matchbox include the instrument panel, even in in a simplified form it is still pretty accurate. If someone was clever enough to make an instrument panel decal it would be very convincing

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great (re) start Pappy and this Otter is looking the goods already. I love what you’ve done with the interior so far, very effective mate. 

Cheers.. Dave 

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great start  the interior is looking superb,  with your extras  cracking work 

Chris

Thanks very much fellas. I m not going for 100% accuracy, more like generic details in case anyone decides to use this WIP as a reference thread -you have been warned

The wings are starting to behave but the fit of the nacelles to the wing was not the greatest and they did take some putty and sanding. Matchbox provide an opening aft of the cowl flap which should be a thin slot instead of the larger squarish opening provided. I added a couple of pieces of plastic strip and sanded to profile leaving the thin slot

DSCN8313.JPG

Speaking of cowl flaps, the kit cowl flap detail is very soft and poorly defined. Also,  It did not help that the nacelle seam passes straight through the middle of the cowl flap either.so I have sanded mine off and will replace with scratch details but first I needed to make another slot for the cowl flap. I cut out a rectangular opening and added some plastic sheet glued at an angle to represent the interior of the cowl flap/duct

DSCN8366(1).JPG

While that lot was drying I turned my attention to the undercarriage. The kit provides wheels, ski and float options. I am leaning towards the skis and started to clean these up. They will need some filler as they feature some pretty hefty sink marks. One other thing I noticed was that the kit instructions would have you sit each wheel inside the tray portion of the skid, no doubt this makes for a simpler and more robust join but in reality the wheel protrudes beneath the ski so I have started chopping these portions out

DSCN8299.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 8

G'day people,

I  added some scratch radiator flaps from soft drink can

DSCN8489.JPG

DSCN8488.JPG

Meanwhile the fuselage is almost complete. I have joined the two halves and started to add some fuselage lumps and bumps starting with what appears to be some type of air inlet on the LHS. I also filled the recess below the cockpit entry doors on each  fuselage half as these do not appear in pictures of my aircraft.

DSCN8406.JPG

The tail skid fairing was made from scrap (tip of a missile!) and steel wire to improve on the somewhat chunky Matchbox offering

DSCN8408.JPG

DSCN8407.JPG

I am having a couple of issues with the windscreen. The first but oddly not the most pressing issue is that I don't have one! Yup, I lost mine, probably in a house move. I have a second (Revell re-issue) boxing and I stole the windscreen from that kit and that brings us to the second and more serious issue, the windscreen part does not fit 😡

It seems that the clear part is a little too short and simply drops through the opening. Luckily I was able to retrieve the part but I will probably make a replacement part instead of attempting to make the kit part fit. Luckily it is a pretty simple shape. The other cockpit windows did not fit well either - this is not fun any more

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

This is coming along nicely, windscreen issue not withstanding. I like the extra bits you are doing, I may borrow your ideas for mine (once I check to see if the lumps are required of course!)

All the best with the rest of this, it can be a fun kit to do, honest!

Ray

Great progress and all those little details will really enhance the end result. Those windscreen issues are a tad nasty, however just another small hurdle to overcome. I'm sure that light bulb idea will come to you at the dead of the night!  

Cheers.. Dave 

I like very much Twin Otter and it is nice to see your attention for details. Could you tell me if Otters has opened pilot's windows like in car doors? It would be nice way to show something in pilot's compartment.

Best regards,

Michał

9 hours ago, socjo1 said:

I like very much Twin Otter and it is nice to see your attention for details. Could you tell me if Otters has opened pilot's windows like in car doors? It would be nice way to show something in pilot's compartment.

Best regards,

Michał

G'day Michal,

I am sorry but I do not know the answer. I assume that as it is a slow speed aircraft that the small quarter panels could be opened for some additional air but I don't think that the cockpit door windows rolled down like car windows, but I am very happy to be corrected.

G'day people,

The airframe is basically done,

DSCN8514.JPG

DSCN8513.JPG

I only have  a few more jobs to do and these are to feather the props and figure out how to attach the wheel skis. The nose wheel ski is straightforward but I am not sure how the skis attach to the main wheels. Matchbox's solution was simplistic and simply involved sitting the wheels inside the skis onto a floor which should not be there, I removed the floor but I and now I am in a quandary as to how to attach the skis.

I am still no closer to solving my windscreen issue but to compound my issues with the transparencies, I managed to push in two of the cabin windows

DSCN8533.JPG

Still no sign of my decals. I am rapidly losing interest in this build and am not sure I can be bothered finishing this now

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Hi Pappy

We all have builds (well I certainly do) that cause us problems throughout.  This would appear to be the same for you on this one.

The reward is that when it's finished, it makes the achievement all the sweeter !

The windows can be recovered with some Klear and a cocktail stick to create a new replacement in situ.

The decals will turn up, the world's post seems to be chaotic at the moment 

As for the ski attachments,  pop a question on the civil section here on BM. Guaranteed someone has photos or has built it, the depth of knowledge on these forums is amazing. 

If you need to recover your modelling mojo put this one to oneside and build something else, there's plenty of time in this GB to finish it. 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Despite the tribulations, you are doing a wonderful job on this. I particularly like the way you have got the engine nacelles done, both with the filling and the corrections!

As for the windscreen, is yours too small? I found mine only touched the fuselage at the sides, not at the top and bottom (probably because I sanded top and bottom to get rid of some flash!). I found that fitting the w/s to the nose first then pushing it into the top was the way. The ledges on the sides then stopped it falling in. Forgive me if this is not the answer to your issue!

As Pat said, if it is getting too much, pop it to one side and hopefully when the markings do arrive, things will be clearer. It is a lovely kit to do, but can be frustrating too.

All the best whatever you choose to do,

Ray

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Pappy

We all have builds (well I certainly do) that cause us problems throughout.  This would appear to be the same for you on this one.

The reward is that when it's finished, it makes the achievement all the sweeter !

The windows can be recovered with some Klear and a cocktail stick to create a new replacement in situ.

The decals will turn up, the world's post seems to be chaotic at the moment 

As for the ski attachments,  pop a question on the civil section here on BM. Guaranteed someone has photos or has built it, the depth of knowledge on these forums is amazing. 

If you need to recover your modelling mojo put this one to oneside and build something else, there's plenty of time in this GB to finish it. 

Cheers Pat

Cheers Pat, I know it will look better once I put it aside, take the dog for a walk and mull it over, I already have some ideas.

I knew about the clear fix method but have never actually tried it but that is really my only option now as the window openings are a tapered fit so I can't just scratch up some replacements. Decals will arrive but I will wait until the airframe is sealed before committing, otherwise this may just become one of the box options as I have a second (Revell boxing) that I may use for the yet to arrive decals

14 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Despite the tribulations, you are doing a wonderful job on this. I particularly like the way you have got the engine nacelles done, both with the filling and the corrections!

As for the windscreen, is yours too small? I found mine only touched the fuselage at the sides, not at the top and bottom (probably because I sanded top and bottom to get rid of some flash!). I found that fitting the w/s to the nose first then pushing it into the top was the way. The ledges on the sides then stopped it falling in. Forgive me if this is not the answer to your issue!

As Pat said, if it is getting too much, pop it to one side and hopefully when the markings do arrive, things will be clearer. It is a lovely kit to do, but can be frustrating too.

All the best whatever you choose to do,

Ray

G'day Ray, don't fret I am not about to bin this but I will be putting this aside soon as I have already committed to the Hornet and Bomber/ Ground Attack GBs (plus the Falkland anniversary GB hot on the  heels) and I cannot afford to wallow int his build. Like you my windscreen does not touch top and bottom, however the sides are also just out of reach as well. I suspect that when I was cleaning up the opening I emoved too much material. On my kit the opening for the windscreen and the cockpit door windows was very poorly defined and ended in a ragged edge of flash. Intrying to get a neat opening I think I removed too much plastic. I am thinking of adding small sections of plastic strip to build up and reduce the aperture until the winscreen fits again. This is annoying but probably the best way forward.

cheers,

Pappy

I like the resin replacement section that I thinkl you had in your post that inc,ldes a clear resin upper part. It is too late for this build but would certainly be handy on my second attempt.

Pappy, your build is very interesting, I hope you'll find motivation for further progress and finishing this beauty aircraft.

Ski:

1 - you will find some very good photos here:

https://www.twinotterworldnews.com/blog/2019/4/29/twin-otter-news

https://www.simflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/AO_Twin_Otter_ski_preview.jpg

EDIT:

and here:

http://www.museumplanes.com/plane.php?plane_ID=195

2. Pilot's windows . I found some photos showing pilot's open pilot's windows:

https://www.aerosoft.com/de/flugsimulation/buecher/978/twin-otter-extended-you-have-control-grundlagen-bedienung-und-verfahren

2c248e2fc30fefe18e17c243401ba3b412191c57

Best regards,

Michał

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 2

G'day Michal,

Thanks very much foir the references, good to know the door woindows can be lowered just like a car door!

also some fantastic reference pics for the skis, they are much more complex than Matchbox depict them,

cheers,

Pappy

I was just going to chip in with info on the side windows, but I see that the box is ticked already. 

pesawat-airfast-mendarat-darurat-di-perairan-batam_20180310_220132

There's loads of brilliant schemes around for the DHC-6. 

Very much enjoyed the build so far and I'll look forward to seeing you progress with it as and when you fancy it, Pappy. Great work so far! 

I'm sure you are already familiar with the kit, but just in case, let me flag up the main u/c stub axles. Because of the aircraft design, the model parts come under a lot of upwards twisting force, and the ski option will be the same. They are barely able to hold the shape, being so thin. Replacing or reinforcement may be required. 

The fully feathered prop blades can be carefully twisted into that position, it's a bit risky and I had one fail but the spinner helps with ca refix. 

It's a good looking model and I'm looking forward to seeing this one make it to the finishing line in the fullness of time! 

I don't know what to say about the windscreen issue..... Some kind of technical moulding variation from a different manufacturer, over time?? 

I had side windows popping out, or should I say In, and likewise someone else doing the same . It seems to be a trait with the kit, or maybe we are all too lighthanded and careful around transparencies now! 

Any way, best of luck with this when you're ready.... 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1