Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4 (1/24 Aoshima)

Neil

Decided to buy myself something fun and enjoyable to build, and to pass the time with over the holiday period (to help counteract the usual gubbins most of us have to contend with this time of year .... 😄) so ordered an Aoshima 1/24 Lamborghini Huracan LP610-4, two or three weeks back.  This is something that I definitely DO NOT want to get bogged down with adding lots of extra detail, photo-etch, aftermarket bits and pieces or such (I have made my fair share of detailed stuff on here in the past!) I just want something relatively simple, fun and enjoyable to build, more or less out of the box. Something that will ultimately look quite nice and pretty in my display cabinet.   👍

So, here's the box artwork to start with, although mine will NOT be Green in colour, thankfully ...... 😄

51788274413_b0afabab11_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 4

There only seems to be a couple of real 'issues' with the body shell, as such:  firstly, there is a nasty little 'step' where the body panels meet to form a triangle, just behind the rearmost part of the side windows, above the rear wheel arches, which should not be there. Secondly, there is an odd mis-match in surface contours where the front section of the doors meet the rearmost part of the front wheel arches, they do not 'blend' together neatly, in surface contour.

The odd 'step' above the rear wheel arches was eliminated by adding a blob of Milliput Epoxy Putty to them, and carefully sanding and profiling the surface to shape, blending into the surrounding body panels.  The mis-match in surface contours where the doors blend into the front wheel arches was a little more tricky;  to my eye it appears that the body panels around the rear part of the front wheel arches are too 'bulbous', they should have a more 'dished' or 'concave' surface to them, where they blend into the front part of the doors.  This was sorted by scraping the surface of the bulbous section of front wheel arches with a half-round scalpel blade, to make the surface more concave, then sanding the surface with some 1000 grit paper, until smooth, blending nicely with the door panel.  Unfortunately VERY difficult to see in White plastic, but looked fine to me once a coat of paint was airbrushed on!

51787211462_e590069fee_o.jpg

51787211337_26b5a05e94_o.jpg

51788652864_63b4b24d6e_o.jpg

51787211422_51d7526ce7_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 5

For ease of spraying, I grabbed a piece of scrap tooling block and stuck some plastic strip sections on each end, which locate in the front and rear mounting points in the body where the kit floor attaches. Got something to hold easily when airbrushing the body now.

51787211397_f28d2c9d77_o.jpg

51788277113_c1146280b0_o.jpg

Everything was given a coat of Zero Paint White Primer, and when dry was flattened back to a nice smooth finish with some Micromesh cloth.  The main colour will be Lamborghini Arancio Atlas (Pearlescent Orange) again from Zero Paints, but to start with I noticed that the intake gaps behind the side windows is extremely tight, and had visions of creating unnecessary paint build up around the edges of the intakes if I tried to 'force' a coat of paint in there with the airbrush. So the intakes edges were masked up and the Orange top coat was blown deep into the intake gap, with the excess paint building up on the masking tape around the edges, as I thought it might. Obviously this excess was simply removed attached to the masking tape, once the tape was taken off. The entire body could then be airbrushed in the top coat as normal, not having to worry about the intake at all. 👍

51788898790_ca4325aa6f_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The first overall mist coat of 'Arancio Atlas', covering the main body, rear engine cover, wing mirrors. The rear above-bumper body panel has been coated too, this was left separate so that the assembled rear light housings can be fitted easily.  The overall colour looks rather dull, but will intensify after two or three more coats, and will really come to life once the clear coat is on. A clear coat MUST be applied to these Zero Paint top colours, because they are in a satin/semi-gloss finish, out of the bottle. 

51788652769_b1df5bd727_o.jpg

51788652819_bbfa831420_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 5

Coming along nicely. I wonder if they will make a race version as an acquaintance has one I see race.

• Like 1

And .... Voila!!    Full depth of colour has been achieved with a few more light coats, and finally covered in Zero Paints rather fabulous 2K Diamond Clear Coat, really brings out the final lustre to the Pearlescent Orange, it really is a superb clear coat system.  Very happy with it, I do like this colour.  This is a 'proper' Lamborghini colour!  👍  😄

51787211357_6e7b76baeb_o.jpg

The lower front intake grills are now installed, along with the headlight assemblies, lower side intake grills and also the decking around the engine compartment.

51788277073_b26b79756f_o.jpg

The rear light housing assembly has also been installed, enabling the rear bumper panel to be installed beneath it.

51788277038_7d5378cea0_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 7

It's very satisfying when you paint and clear a body and then think "yes, this was definitely a good colour choice".  And this one certainly is. I look forward to seeing further progression on the build.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, galaxyg said:

It's very satisfying when you paint and clear a body and then think "yes, this was definitely a good colour choice".  And this one certainly is. I look forward to seeing further progression on the build.

3 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Looking great! I love the color choice.

@PatW, I agree, we need a GT3 Evo version of this car. It's been very successful and has dozens of great liveries. Hopefully Aoshima or Nunu will release one someday.

Ben

Thanks for the comments 👍.  Must admit that I have a bit of a soft spot for any kind of Lamborghini that happens to Orange, be it in Pearlescent Orange or just a normal plain Orange colour. May well go back to my younger days, after seeing the gorgeous Orange Lamborghini Miura in 'The Italian Job' film ...... although obviously it did not stay gorgeous for very long ...... ahem!!   😀

🙂

Basic tub/chassis assembly more or less finished. Could of added lots of wires and cables and all manner of things, but as I mentioned right at the start of this build, I just want this as a stress-free, enjoyable holiday build, something that is pleasing to the eye in my cabinet at home. Engine block assembly was airbrushed in Alclad ALC 101 Aluminium, with the rest of the engine components in Tamiya Semi-gloss Black.  Cabin interior finished in Black and various Dark Grey's, with a few tiny details picked out in Red and Silver. Brake calipers sprayed in Gold, and wheels airbrushed in Alclad ALC 119 Airframe Aluminium. Holes in the brake discs were drilled with a 0.3mm drill bit, using a pin vise.

51793706406_ff037c59d8_o.jpg

51793707041_ae6b630bc4_o.jpg

51794443810_feae28c485_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 8

What I find instantly appealing about this kit from that last photo is a nice set of decent study door mirror mounts. So many kits of cars where the mirrors are not mounted in the window triangle need extra effort to get them to stay in place.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, galaxyg said:

What I find instantly appealing about this kit from that last photo is a nice set of decent study door mirror mounts. So many kits of cars where the mirrors are not mounted in the window triangle need extra effort to get them to stay in place.

Indeed, agree with that. Also relating to that pic, I was pleasantly surprised that the interior roof lining panel was represented in the kit, with the moulded-on flip-down Sun visors (the grey rectangular thingy!) which will finish that area off nicely.

🙂

There is provision in the kit to attach curved arms to the inside of the rear deck/engine bay access panel, to enable it to be posed either open or closed, if it is simply left placed in position and not glued in place. That choice will not be necessary on my model, it will be permanently closed only, so I attached a small section of 0.25mm thick plasticard behind the roof-lining panel, to create a small 'lip', so that the rear deck/engine bay access panel will sit nicely at the correct height in relation to the exterior body panels, when it is permanently fixed in position.

51808104364_f0f16d8ac5_o.jpg

The plasticard 'lip' is just visible in this view, at the top of the pic in the engine bay, along with the engine bay access panel, to the right hand side.

51808476180_0f9d6ffcc9_o.jpg

Body shell is now attached to the finished tub/chassis assembly, and the rear diffuser section permanently attached. Engine bay access panel will be attached next, along with all of the transparency pieces, which are attached externally (Tamiya, take note!).

51806786452_22c9fcaa01_o.jpg

🙂

• Like 7

That's looking a little bit gorgeous :wub: I prefer the Aventador myself, but this is looking nice too.  Especially after you fixed those odd bodywork anomalies :hmmm:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mike said:

That's looking a little bit gorgeous :wub: I prefer the Aventador myself, but this is looking nice too.  Especially after you fixed those odd bodywork anomalies :hmmm:

I do have a bit of a liking for all things Lamborghini, must admit :rolleyes:, and that specific colour is rather fabulous. I even re-sprayed my push-bike in Arancio Atlas a few years ago too ...... looks spectacular in natural bright Sunlight ...... :yahoo:.

51808074053_3b8a3558ce_o.jpg

:D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:03 PM, PatW said:

Yes super colour Neil!

On 1/9/2022 at 4:02 AM, gamblor916 said:

That is a great pearl orange.

It is, without doubt, my favourite Lamborghini colour, perfect for any self respecting supercar :).   Ironically it does seem to be something of a recurring theme with me too, for some reason, although I am not complaining ...... 

...... when I lived in Cyprus over 15 years ago, I spotted this when I happened to be visiting Nicosia, the capital City ......

51822410199_49861b606e_o.jpg

...... and this Murcielago only a few years ago, when I stopped to chat to the owner in a pub car park in Gorleston, (Gt. Yarmouth, Norfolk), not far from where I now live back in the UK. 

51822410189_2753c5a743_o.jpg

I clearly have a liking for Orange Lamborghini's, for some reason!!   :D

:)

• Like 1

Transparencies:  carefully removed from the moulding sprues with a fine razor saw, these things are so brittle, they shatter/crack/craze at the slightest opportunity (as we all know only too well ....:rolleyes:).  To Aoshima's credit, they provide some superb, pre-cut, self-adhesive paint masks to achieve the outer Black margins around all of the transparencies. Saves an awful lot of 'faffing around' cutting intricate bits of masking tape, to achieve the same result.

51809774398_fa17ee735b_o.jpg

The self-adhesive paint masks in position.

51822335174_b007e462ee_o.jpg

Paint masks removed after airbrushing with several 'VERY' light coats of Humbrol No.85 Satin Black enamel, thinned with Cellulose Thinners, prior to spraying.  Very pleased with the neat, solid, demarcation on the inner face of all clear components.  The rear-view mirror has also been installed, and is 'just' visible at the top of the windscreen, obviously on the interior face. The reflective mirror surfaces have now also been installed into the exterior door-mirror fairings also.

51822335169_90d55486b1_o.jpg

:)

• Like 8

More or less finished, when I get a spare moment I will put a few more pics from different angles within the 'Ready For Inspection - Vehicles' section. Pleased with the final result, should look quite acceptable in my display cabinet. Makes a refreshing change to complete something that was ultimately not overly involved with extra detail and aftermarket 'everything'. 

Happy with that  :).

51835278702_ca21da067d_o.jpg

B)

• Like 8