HMS Ark Royal Mid 1940

S-boat 55

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Fascinating thread this.  Thanks to all contributors.

Just a thought.  Notwithstanding the fact that the Admiralty may have mandated something on 30 May, 701 Sqn were IIRC ashore in Norway and from what I have read about the Norwegian campaign stores support ashore was sparse so I would put money on a bet that paint supplies were not amongst their spares and I would suspect there is every possibility that they may have been unable to comply with the directive by the time they embarked.  I'm sure that ARK would have had the paint on board but would the tempo of operations have permitted the repainting?  I don't know. 

I'd be interested in any information that you did have pertaining to FURIOUS in 1939/1940.  In the assumption that there were no suitable kits that could be converted, I have started drawing her in CAD and plan at some point in the future to 3D print her but owing to paucity of information it is proceeding somewhat slowly.  This is a render of progress to date although somewhat annoyingly we had a power cut about a week or so ago and my PC crashed.  Even though I know I had saved it, Fusion 360 seems to have gone back to a much earlier version of this.  I had also drawn all of the supports for the 8 barrelled pom-poms, opened up the covered fo'c'sle, added the hawse pipes and whole raft more.  No idea what's happened to them.  I will be starting a WIP thread at some point to chart progress on this but it is a long term project.

52366010370_c20d805b77_o.png

Thats a real kick in the **** to loose hard work like that. At present I'm still gathering info on her, I think I started a thread about her a whole back, a member on here very kindly sent me the profile warship editions that covered her, I'll try and find the thread as a point/place to share bits. I'd cheekily add that when at some point your cad work is done I'd be very interested to see sections if possible, 3d printing is beyond me at the moment so scratch build is the only route and I no longer have access to cad which means doing it by hand - just a bit time consuming. I have a small amount of hope that veryfire aren't actually going under as their website is now showing as under maintenance rather than for sale, they announced intentions for a furious model which would be a lot easier. 

Re the hull, the repulse hull looks about right to me in terms of dimensions, at least close enough to not worry about the difference. The issues lie the bulges being wrong for Repulse and even more wrong for Furious. 

One option is getting plans off of the archives at Greenwich, I've contacted them about it but they aren't cheap shall we say, 

I'll see about finding that thread, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks like an interesting project. What scale are you going to print in?

The plans for Furious 1939 are 1/400 Windjammer (which are reprints of Warship Drawings 225 - possibly from Model Boats?). These give side elevations, deck plans, bow ad stern view and hull sections. I also have the set for Glorious (drawing 226). How accurate they are I don't know. There are are also 1/1250 plans in Model Boats, with hull sections, in the Moore articles on Furious (December 1967 and February 1968).  Klimczyk's Courageous, Glorious, Furious (1999) gives side elevations and deck plans, but I can't remember if these were for 1918 or 1939. I've tried to find my copy without success. I cut this up to get the plans enlarged, so it is possible that it is with the models, which are packed away in the loft. https://www.scalemates.com/books/biate-stonie-tadeusz-klimczyk--111054. Since building these, Kagero have published TopDrawings 127  on Furious, with 1/400 plans, which  is probably the best source. 

HTH

Ian

Edit - just found my copy of Klimczyk. Only 1918 drawings  (deck plan, side elevation), with no hull sections. 

Edited by iang
update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the good news is that I managed to recover the lost work...but only after I'd spent about 3 hours yesterday trying to recreate it.  So this is what she now looks like:

52368718057_e5b078efec_o.png

The plan is to build in 1/350 and I've got a couple of options.  I can either print the whole hull in 5 main sections - my printer can't cope with any more than that - or  just print the fore and aft ends which are for me at least the hardest parts to build from styrene sheet but scratch build the centre section.

I have got copies of Profile 23 and 24 which @S-boat 55 kindly sent me last year.

I'm acutely aware that this is taking over the ARK ROYAL thread so perhaps I should start a separate 3D-build WIP thread?  I was loathe to do so just yet because this is a long term project and the frequency of updates will be sparse!

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Well the good news is that I managed to recover the lost work...but only after I'd spent about 3 hours yesterday trying to recreate it.  So this is what she now looks like:

52368718057_e5b078efec_o.png

The plan is to build in 1/350 and I've got a couple of options.  I can either print the whole hull in 5 main sections - my printer can't cope with any more than that - or  just print the fore and aft ends which are for me at least the hardest parts to build from styrene sheet but scratch build the centre section.

I have got copies of Profile 23 and 24 which @S-boat 55 kindly sent me last year.

I'm acutely aware that this is taking over the ARK ROYAL thread so perhaps I should start a separate 3D-build WIP thread?  I was loathe to do so just yet because this is a long term project and the frequency of updates will be sparse!

Personally I'd say a WIP would seem appropriate, even with updates only being from time to time, 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2022 at 7:51 PM, S-boat 55 said:

One option is getting plans off of the archives at Greenwich, I've contacted them about it but they aren't cheap shall we say, 

I think I have some jpeg copies of those Plans which were posted years ago on another Site but I couldn’t ask the Poster where they came from as he had been banned a couple of years later from that Site for some reason. 

Edited by Rob S

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

I think I have some jpeg copies of those Plans which were posted years ago on another Site but I couldn’t asked the Poster where they came from as he had been banned a couple of years later from that Site for some reason. 

That would be very helpful for anyone looking to scratch build, I'd certainly be interested 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2022 at 4:00 AM, Chewbacca said:

Fascinating thread this.  Thanks to all contributors.

Just a thought.  Notwithstanding the fact that the Admiralty may have mandated something on 30 May, 701 Sqn were IIRC ashore in Norway and from what I have read about the Norwegian campaign stores support ashore was sparse so I would put money on a bet that paint supplies were not amongst their spares and I would suspect there is every possibility that they may have been unable to comply with the directive by the time they embarked.  I'm sure that ARK would have had the paint on board but would the tempo of operations have permitted the repainting?  I don't know. 

I'd be interested in any information that you did have pertaining to FURIOUS in 1939/1940.  In the assumption that there were no suitable kits that could be converted, I have started drawing her in CAD and plan at some point in the future to 3D print her but owing to paucity of information it is proceeding somewhat slowly.  This is a render of progress to date although somewhat annoyingly we had a power cut about a week or so ago and my PC crashed.  Even though I know I had saved it, Fusion 360 seems to have gone back to a much earlier version of this.  I had also drawn all of the supports for the 8 barrelled pom-poms, opened up the covered fo'c'sle, added the hawse pipes and whole raft more.  No idea what's happened to them.  I will be starting a WIP thread at some point to chart progress on this but it is a long term project.

52366010370_c20d805b77_o.png

Might be good to have a battery back-up, surge protector for your computer. I use one and I am able to close/save files and shut down things if the power goes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comment.  I do have surge protection but because it's a main-powered PC, battery back up is not really an option.

In this case I'm not sure that would have helped anyway because I know I had saved the Fusion 360 drawing at a later version than the one that was there when I rebooted.  I have no idea why it re-opened with an earlier version but there is little doubt in my mind that there are bugs in the free version of Fusion 360 which I strongly suspect are not there in the paid-for version, but I'm not a CAD designer by profession and several hundreds of dollars per annum for something that I use occasionally for a hobby is not realistic.  I did eventually find the later saved version (an thus proving that I hadn't gone mad) but not before I'd redrawn half of the missing bits.  Actually it was beneficial because I realised that some of the lattice work supports seen in the image above were incorrect so I was able to redraw that more accurately.

FURIOUS is currently on hold while I finish LONDONDERRY and then participate in the Salty Sea Dog GB.

Hi, I'm new to the maritime pages of Britmodeller.   I have not built a warship for some time, but am at the foothills of building the Airfix 1/600 Ark Royal.   This will be the second build because I did my first in 1971, but I expect to take a bit longer this time.   My query (potentially of many) is to do with the bow.   I intend to build her representing her first commission and in her original configuration.    The many clear photos of her launch show a bow design with many fewer portholes than the later photos with captions 1940 onward.   I have a very healthy worry about captions on the internet.   However, are there any decent photos of her in service but with the original configuration?   Did she actually sail with the much less fussy front end?

I paid a lot for the Witold Koszela book called 34 The British Aircraft Carrier HMS Ark Royal.   It was not what I expected.   There are beautiful fold out drawings at 1/400 of the ship and enlarged details,, but almost no photos and the noting of refit changes is almost non-existent.   Hence as far as I can make out the many side elevation and plan views are all identical, except for some noted armament changes near the superstructure.   I have just bought the Mike Rossiter book and am hoping it will be more conventional in its showing of the ship.   That has not arrived yet, so am fishing for any info from the group.

Cheers Phil

• Like 1