Help needed looking for dimensions for F-101 Voodoo baggage pod/starter pack ?

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone … Im looking to have a custom 3-D print of the item asked about. Does anyone have any info pertaining to these Baggage-pod/Starter units. They pretty much only on the “B” models as they mount to the rotating bomb tray. Ive seen them described as baggage pod/travel starter for the Voodoo. In at least one photo the side of the pod is hinged open and hollow in the forward half. Ive got several grainy photo’s and have a rough size worked out in 1/72. Here are some cropped photo’s showing only the pod.

Lbyt8Dp.jpg

CY8rZet.jpg

hAdiFPr.jpg

This last one is direct from port side, maybe size can be worked out from it ? 

r2DLO8D.jpg

Any help is gratefully received of course. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to Help needed looking for dimensions for F-101 Voodoo baggage pod/starter pack ?

Sorry can't help with any dimensions but i loaded more than a few luggage carriers as we called them on the CF-101, they were just for luggage and whatever else the crew wanted to put inside. Some did have a spot to install a spare starter on the front in case the one in the a/c went unserviceable. Those with the starter attachment, and without it, they opened at the side while other ones did open at the front end.  The carriers were installed on the AIR-2A (Genie) side of the armament door:

mon_f-101_parts4.jpg

it shouldn't be too hard to get a rough size of them going by the pic above, the Genie side is the second one, the pod came to about the small rectangle shapes on the right just forward of the AIR-2A racks. For width the pod came up to the long protrusions at the top and bottom of the above pic. For the aft end, your 3rd pic shows how far back it went. As for the height you'll have to do some calculating guesstimates. 

F-101B_18FIS_GrandForks.jpg

Jari

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Finn said:

Sorry can't help with any dimensions but i loaded more than a few luggage carriers as we called them on the CF-101, they were just for luggage and whatever else the crew wanted to put inside. Some did have a spot to install a spare starter on the front in case the one in the a/c went unserviceable. Those with the starter attachment, and without it, they opened at the side while other ones did open at the front end.  The carriers were installed on the AIR-2A (Genie) side of the armament door:

mon_f-101_parts4.jpg

it shouldn't be too hard to get a rough size of them going by the pic above, the Genie side is the second one, the pod came to about the small rectangle shapes on the right just forward of the AIR-2A racks. For width the pod came up to the long protrusions at the top and bottom of the above pic. For the aft end, your 3rd pic shows how far back it went. As for the height you'll have to do some calculating guesstimates. 

F-101B_18FIS_GrandForks.jpg

Jari

Thanks Im working with the 1/72 scale Revell. My door is slightly different does this look ok to you ? xpvccAC.jpg

Its lacking the two small stubs forward yours has. 

9 minutes ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

The F-101 was known as a very fast airplane.  It's interesting to me how utterly un-streamlined this baggage pod was.  Just a flat-nosed box dangling out in the slipstream. 🤔

Interesting project, Dennis.  I hope you get enough information to work with.

Actually it rotated into the bomb bay. The missile tray rotated on the Voodoo. Thus being mounted internally during flight. 

Here is an example of it open on the ground. https://www.airhistory.net/photo/142076/59-0430/90430

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks Im working with the 1/72 scale Revell. My door is slightly different does this look ok to you ? xpvccAC.jpg

Its lacking the two small stubs forward yours has. 

I'd go with 2mm more to the front, about 8mm to the rear and 1mm per side to give you 12mm x 32mm.  That should be close enough i think. 

Jari

• Thanks 1

Dennis,

You have the actual dimensions of the national insignia I sent you; take those fuselage insignia dimensions, and using them, you should be  able scale out the length and height of the baggage pod, using the insignia in your photos. Print the photo first- makes it a lot easier!  Sound like a plan? 

Mike

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Dennis,

You have the actual dimensions of the national insignia I sent you; take those fuselage insignia dimensions, and using them, you should be  able scale out the length and height of the baggage pod, using the insignia in your photos. Print the photo first- makes it a lot easier!  Sound like a plan? 

Mike

Yeah The designer and me have a rough model. I need to cut it out and try it with paper now. Will email you with what we have. 

• 1 month later...

Some pics here showing the luggage carrier can be seen here:

http://replicainscale.blogspot.com/2011/11/voodoos-from-north-country-plugging.html

a couple pics show one off the a/c and you can see the attachment points. Note it is only a luggage carrier, not a apu unit,  the starter(s) were spare in case the one on the bottom of an engine went unserviceable. From the looks of earlier pics, some had provisions for 2 starters.

Jari

7 minutes ago, Finn said:

Some pics here showing the luggage carrier can be seen here:

http://replicainscale.blogspot.com/2011/11/voodoos-from-north-country-plugging.html

a couple pics show one off the a/c and you can see the attachment points. Note it is only a luggage carrier, not a apu unit,  the starter(s) were spare in case the one on the bottom of an engine went unserviceable. From the looks of earlier pics, some had provisions for 2 starters.

Jari

Thanks Ive actually got these in hand now, someone here in the 3D printing section helped me by designing and printing some.