Redstaff

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring with this one if I may

I started it sometime in the summer, but work and other stuff got in the way and it has sat there in primer for months and I need to clear the bench ready for the Matchbox STGB in January, I thought this GB would push me on to the end

Today I have dusted all the bits down and applied various blacks and silvers ready for clear coats then assembly

Cheers

Ian :) 

20211230_153816_resized

• Like 8

Took the pic as promised

Needs a little bit of polishing in a couple of places where there are a couple of specks of something, but overall not too bad

It looks better in the flesh as the pic has too many reflections 

20220102_141527_resized

• Like 4

Polished up the bad bits and got a bit more assembly done :) 

20220102_212635_resized

Then I thought I'd do some decalling, it was at this point when I looked for the JPS tobacco decals that I'd ordered that I realised one of the reasons why the build had stalled

I hadn't ordered the decals........  😩

I checked and I'd found some, but never actually pressed the button to get them for some reason

So it looks like it's back on the shelf for a couple of weeks till they roll up from TBS, I'll get as far as I can before it goes back up 

Still got the Matchbox GB to be getting on with next week

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

On 12/30/2021 at 4:17 PM, Redstaff said:

I need to clear the bench ready for the Matchbox STGB in January

I think there's a lot of this going on! Certainly applies to me; just realised the Matchbox build is less than a week away so I'd better get on it!!

This however, looks lush as the youngsters say

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting on the decals, but had the tyre decals from Indycals to hand and an Eduard seatbelt selt, so I thought I'd get as far as I could in readiness

Just the windscreen and the mirrors to fit then pop the wheels on after I have given it a quick polish to remove the finger prints and added the decals :) 

20220113_045115_resized_1

• Like 8

Decals arrived this morning 😁😁

Hopefully get to finish this one off at the weekend and crack on with the matchbox MG and Surtees for the GB 😁

Ian 

• Like 3

Finally managed to get the decals on last night, what an effort with the pinstriping that wanted to wrap itself around everything but where I wanted it to be...........

Not my finest hour and having to use some of the original decals and some of the aftermarket, the gold doesn't quite match

I'm going to give a light clearcoat to see if that helps, but if it doesn't, then it is what it is and lessons have been learnt 🤨

Then its just a case of attaching the rear wing, screen and mirrors then job done

It was too dark to take any pics last night, but may have a go later

Ian :) 

• Like 1

Nearly at the finishing line now, a little more polishing then fit the mirrors

After having a mare with some of the decals, I ended up using some from 2 different sets from 2 diffrent places, once I'd clear coated, the second decals have come out a darker gold as you can see. With hindsight, I'd have took all the decals off and used all of the second set rather than trying to hurry the job up, but that's how we learn I suppose 🤔

Once I've polished and finished completely, I'll post some pics in the gallery :) 

20220126_224231_resized

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

still my favorite scheme on an F1 car after all these years.

I agree :) 

This and the Marlboro ones take me right back to my early days of F1 :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...